wintersgrace

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any idea with this plugin that might be causing lag? On my main machine I don't see any lag but it's also an overkill workstation (Threadripper 1950x CPU and 1070ti), the gaming laptop I have is an AMD RX 560 for the video card and quad core Ryzen 2500u for the CPU but in the parts of the game with LETBS, it starts the battle at 60FPS (the part before you lay your characters down in their selected spots), as I lay each character down, I notice a drop in framerate. After I place more than 4 characters it gets down to 3FPS.

Not sure what causes this but I know I run into weird lag issues with RPG Maker MV all the time, I hope with a future update they fix that because it's ridiculous that 2d games lag this bad. I even see in the task manager that it's only using 2% of the CPU and 10% of the GPU, just frustrating.

I've seen this type of situation with a lot of plugins though, I know it's some kind of flaw in the base engine, have been looking for years to find a lag fix but might have to end up just working around it.

I run into lag issues with MV itself. The lag with the LeTBS plugin is an issue with how it was written. The Author is basically rewriting a large portion of the script, so that should alleviate lag. It's more than likely an issue with the AI script calls and map size.

Psychronic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes I did notice big issues with map size and so I made the map really small and it improved things (was getting 1fps even with one enemy and one ally), but even so, that's where I am still running into issues. in the battle in question, you have 5 teammates, and around 8 enemies on a 23x27 map. If the battle is smaller like only 3 allies and 4 enemies, then it's playable. But it sucks, 2d shouldn't be this laggy even if horribly optimized.

The speed of it goes down quickly for each battler I add to the field.

A lot of it I think is RPG Maker in general, the base engine has some flaws. I love the editor/interface to make the games, and it's easy to learn, but the performance of the engine in general needs a big improvement in my view.

wintersgrace

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes I did notice big issues with map size and so I made the map really small and it improved things (was getting 1fps even with one enemy and one ally), but even so, that's where I am still running into issues. in the battle in question, you have 5 teammates, and around 8 enemies on a 23x27 map. If the battle is smaller like only 3 allies and 4 enemies, then it's playable. But it sucks, 2d shouldn't be this laggy even if horribly optimized.

The speed of it goes down quickly for each battler I add to the field.

A lot of it I think is RPG Maker in general, the base engine has some flaws. I love the editor/interface to make the games, and it's easy to learn, but the performance of the engine in general needs a big improvement in my view.

You have to understand that this engine was not made to be doing TBS style games. I've combed through a lot of LeCodes code, and it's rough. I love the script, it's why I use it. Once he tweaks it and rewrites it, I'm sure things will smooth out.

Map size will always be an issue unless the default pathfinding gets fixed, which means that the AI would have to be changed as well. I'm taking a wild guess as to say that the AI path checks every tile on the square. It could probably get simplified down a bit by storing x and y positions of each battler on the scene.

If you want a bandaid for now, reduce battle map sizes, and reduce how many battlers are on the field at the time. If you want to have big battles, just spawn in the extra enemies as the other enemies fall.

mojoaa13

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Question about scopes. If I create a bow that has a scope of circle(10,2) and then create a skill that requires a bow and only has an aoe, no scope, would the skill inherit the scope of the bow?

If not is there a way to create a series of bow related skills where the scope of the skill is based on the scope of the equipped bow?

wintersgrace

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Question about scopes. If I create a bow that has a scope of circle(10,2) and then create a skill that requires a bow and only has an aoe, no scope, would the skill inherit the scope of the bow?

If not is there a way to create a series of bow related skills where the scope of the skill is based on the scope of the equipped bow?

Weapon scopes are based on the default attack skill, so Skill[1]. You could have the bow add those skills for that AoE you want with both scope: shape + aoe.

Alphaistimz

AlphaDio Production
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@wintersgrace how do I know that when I keep getting error when starting the battle?
Mine still doesn't work even if I put Yanfly's tags below Lecode's...

I also put all of my battlers in character folder... and the battler folder remains empty

wintersgrace

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@wintersgrace how do I know that when I keep getting error when starting the battle?
Mine still doesn't work even if I put Yanfly's tags below Lecode's...

I also put all of my battlers in character folder... and the battler folder remains empty

I would have to see your files at this point to help you further.

mojoaa13

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Weapon scopes are based on the default attack skill, so Skill[1]. You could have the bow add those skills for that AoE you want with both scope: shape + aoe.

Thanks, but that doesn't do what I want. I'm defining the scope of the bow in the weapon note so it is not based on the default attack skill.

I think I can do what I want with common events. The bow skill calls a common event that, based on equipped weapon, then forced another skill that has the correct scope, but that seems like a rather laborious effort...

wintersgrace

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, but that doesn't do what I want. I'm defining the scope of the bow in the weapon note so it is not based on the default attack skill.

I think I can do what I want with common events. The bow skill calls a common event that, based on equipped weapon, then forced another skill that has the correct scope, but that seems like a rather laborious effort...

My mistake. I meant that the weapon can define the scope, but the skills used wont use that weapons scope.

Skill[1] will go off the scope defined on your weapon. From there, add the skills you want with an aoe scope attached.

Example:

Short bow

<letbs>
scope: circle(8, 5)
</letbs>
(Have it grant access to skills you want for this scope)

Alphaistimz

AlphaDio Production
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Attachments

• Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    241.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture 3.PNG
    Capture 3.PNG
    218 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    206.4 KB · Views: 7

Psychronic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Figured out the cause of some of my lag issues. It was the fluid timestep plugin. While on the laptop I still get some lag, it's like 50FPS now instead of 5FPS in a large battle, so it's playable at least.

The only issue is that I have to go through my whole game and set everything to be faster timing wise than it was (because everything moves slower now overall). It did also remove the microjitter I was seeing as well.

Aloe Guvner

Walrus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just curious which version of MV you're running? Newer versions are likely to be faster, especially 1.6.1+ which has a newer runtime environment (nw.js)
The fluid timestep plugin says at the very top:
Important: if you're using MV 1.1.0 or newer, you don't need this plugin

So if you were running less than 1.1.0 then lag and memory leaks are pretty likely

Psychronic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My RPG Maker was 1.6.1, but I started making my game a long time ago when MV first came out (that's when I installed fluid timestep), I updated to every new version though as they came out and saw no change in behavior of the plugin/game.

The problem with disabling that plugin was that the speed of my game was too slow all around after implementing when I turned fluid timestep off. Not slow as in lag, but slow as in, everything animated too slow, characters walked too slow, etc. I can fix it now, but I just have to go through every single part of my game and change the speeds/wait times for every event.

It mostly worked and looked a lot smoother but it had a few specific issues like microjitter, and some plugins would lag out. I will end up going through my game and changing all the speeds manually, but it's a big game so will probably take me a month..BUT on the plus side I nailed down some specific lag issues that were giving me trouble and were a mystery for the last year or 2.

Waiissi

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, I'm new to MV and I would like to learn how to use these plugins. If anyone would like to help that will be awesome.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Waiissi As you are very new to the engine, this is probably not the plugin to start with. I suggest you learn the engine first, and then, when you have mastered events, switches and variables, start thinking about plugins.

wintersgrace

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, I'm new to MV and I would like to learn how to use these plugins. If anyone would like to help that will be awesome.

Grab the demo, and build your project on top of it. Also, keep a copy of the demo as reference material and the website pulled up. Also, a cup of coffee because this plugin can be a pain sometimes.

Overall it's not super hard to learn or use. I'm not sure why people think this plugin requires any sort of experience with RPG Maker. Take your time, read through the documentation, and google things if something doesn't work. I don't mind helping here and there either.

Adventurer_inc.

Technically a Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Waiissi As you are very new to the engine, this is probably not the plugin to start with. I suggest you learn the engine first, and then, when you have mastered events, switches and variables, start thinking about plugins.

I'm going have to agree with Kes here. A very good understanding of MV is the place to start. This is even more apparent with this specific plugin. A lot of plugins are plug-and-play but, this is definitely not one of them.

To do even the most basic thing, like starting the actual battle, requires that you understand how events work; this is assuming you have passed the "installing plugin" part. This plugin makes quite a few undocumented references back to the default core scripts. This means if it works in a normal event scene or default battle scenes, like switches and variables, it'll most likely work inside this TBS.

I'll leave you with a Dragoon's Leap gif. This basic sequence actually took a while to do. :|
ezgif.com-optimize.gif
Code:
    "leap": [
        "save_cells: user_cell_prejump, user_cell",
        "filter_entities: {aoe}_battlers, user, selected_entites",
        "jump_to_cell: user, cursor_cell, 1500",
        "effects: saved(selected_entites), current_obj, obj_anim",
        "wait: 15",
        "jump_to_cell: user, saved(user_cell_prejump)"
    ],

Alphaistimz

AlphaDio Production
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Waiissi I have to agree with Kes and Adventurer_inc. here. This plugin is no joke and even though I've mastered the basic eventing, my project won't run. You should learn the basic 'how' of the engine before taking plugins in, and if you want to start learning how to use plugins, Yanfly's is a good place to start. If you have ace, there're good tutorials for you to check out the project data. If you want it, PM me.

Danielcross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've got a question regarding push and pulls. In my project, whenever a battler gets killed in an attack that has a push or a pull, they remain in their idle pose, not their dead pose. Anybody find a solution for this?

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out, was just some extra junk in my code.

Last edited:

Psychronic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Changed my avatar, goodbye Alan Sugar, hello George Carlin (one of my favorite human beings ever)
If you still don't subscribe our Polish channel please consider it :)
1.png
Who wants to see my review of the worst star wars movie? This movie has all the excitement of being on Jury Duty of the most boring case ever about trade negotiations.
A lot to learn to make a game. Can I handle it?
I've been working on status effects since last thursday, and today I finished the core mechanic of Zombie, Teleport, Curse and Recall. Zombie and Curse are lacking a few things to make them complete atm. Teleport though is the "HAHA" spell for some of my mobs, but can "NOPE" at them with Recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heatboy233