Legal issue for development with people who don't own RPG Maker

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by MushroomCake28, Sep 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I'm having a little doubt concerning the legality of having some people who don't own RPG Maker MV (the Engine in which I work and legally own). So basically, we're 5:
    - I do all the coding, battle design, eventing, and reformatting sprites to work in RPG Maker MV.
    - the others just create the sprites and music basically.

Of course I'm the only one who owns RPG Maker MV. When I read through the RPG Maker MV's EULA, I saw nothing prohibiting such practice. However, I must say that I read the english version since my japanese isn't good enough for legal text (no problem for regular daily conversations and anything less than easy journals). I know that the japanese version is the legal document and the english version is merely a translation.

Anyways, here's the article about distribution of the game:

Anyone can help?

P.S.: This is not for my project Luna Sanctus, which is my work alone. I've started another project with some people. Will probably be showcasing here a little bit since I'm rebuilding a whole new custom battle system and ability system.

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    and where is your question with that?

However, assuming you're asking about whether the other team members have to own the engine themselves, that is very simple to answer:
    they need to own the legal rights for anything they use in their work. If they don't use something, then they don't need to own rights to it.

so if your musician only provides you with audio tracks, and neither adds them to the game him/herself nor edits part of the included RTP-soundfiles, then he doesn't need to own RMMV. If he is responsibe for adding them into the project (including adapting or formatting), or if he edits part of the RTP-Audio for those tracks, then he needs to own his own copy.
    If your artist provides original pictures and you're the one that implements them, he doesn't need to own the engine. If he creates edits for you (including edits of tilesets for example), then he needs to own his own licence of the RM.

A mapper or someone who enters the database needs to own the editor of course, in those cases there is no question.

3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There should be no legal issue with music, idk about sprites tho.

4. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are no issues with the assets. All music and sprites are not edits and are 100% original. I use the resources they make, format it and make them work in RPG Maker MV. They don't touch to RPG Maker.

But it's not like this is my project and I commissioned them. We have the intention of distributing the game in a co-development way. Like "Game by MushroomCake28 and X".

5. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As RPG Maker is a tool that you use to develop the game, and not the "holder" of the game itself, it's fine for the person who gave you original resources to put their name on your game even though they don't own RPG Maker. You were the one who worked in the RPG Maker parts; you are the only one that needs to own the program. You're fine.

MushroomCake28 likes this.