Legalities with permissions to use resources?

Xenphir

Nature's Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I have a question that might be a little odd. About a year ago, I emailed a famous fantasy/gaming music composer who puts his music on youtube about using his music. On his official website it is noted that for commercial licenses to email him directly to inquire. So when emailing him I asked for permission to use his music, how much a license was, and told him that my game would be used commercially. He responded a few weeks after saying that the commercial licenses were more for large companies, not individual game-makers, and that it was okay to use his music.

So my two-part question is, would it still be okay to use it even though I haven't started making it until now? (As this past year I was only experimenting with the MV engine and what I could do before getting serious, and making many small games with default assests.) I would think so, and I emailed him again to double check (And inquire about buying a license again since I actually want to support his work instead of just buying a few songs for my use)

Second part is, how do I express this legally? I know to put his name in the credits yes, but do I have to put a screenshot of the email as a "legal" document or because it isn't really a contract or license do I not have to? I did save the email for anyone that may question since he has videos with views in the millions and was worried about fans that may think it is stolen. (Since it common for people to rip things off youtube instead of going to their website)

Still am trying to buy a license but if he is busy and may not be able to reply I am not quite sure.

punchybot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
He gave you permission. You have proof. I don't see why you can't proceed.

If I were you, I would give him a free copy of your game when it is completed. :)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would not put a screenshot of the email in game. Maybe just something about “used with permission”, if you even feel that is necessary.

I think most people, if they recognized it, would assume you had purchased the license.

Xenphir

Nature's Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
He gave you permission. You have proof. I don't see why you can't proceed.

If I were you, I would give him a free copy of your game when it is completed. :)

Ahh I don't know what kinds of games he would play but I would be more honored for him to play it than to even have his music in it ahhh. I'll have to email him one months from now (Years) when it's finished. xD

punchybot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a nice gesture. I'm sure he would appreciate it. I wouldn't worry if he plays it or not as it may not be their thing. If they have a ******* or something, support them if you can!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just tested latest update (Map transfers, Credits scene etc...) on MV (with RETRO) and everything thing seems to work as intended!
credits.png
Ugh, can't decide what to make next!
The Dystopia
ikW0BYF.png
Recently got RPG Maker MZ. A bit slower with my current PC but I will be getting a new one soon.
evening progress; pretty happy where this is at so i'll take the rest of the night to myself =w=
5NJGyKY.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sograyish