LuckyAndrew13

Somewhat Competent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I own both RPG Maker VX Ace and RPG Maker MV. I've been using music from both RTPs in my non-commercial game for a couple of years, but I've recently decided to create my own music for my game. After being unable to think of a sufficient amount of catchy tunes, I had an idea: what if I just remade all of the RTP music I was using? I could replace it directly, and I'd have a lot less original pieces to worry about creating.

Thing is, I got a couple of pieces in and starting questioning if this is all fine for me to do. Will I maybe have some legal troubles coming my way if I remake these pieces and use them in my game? I might be somewhat paranoid, but the last thing I want is legal issues. I read through the EULA and wasn't able to get a perfectly clear answer, so I decided to come here and ask to see if anyone might have a clue.

Apologies if this post is in the wrong category, I wasn't sure exactly where to put it so I just dropped it here. Please correct me if I was mistaken.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You should be ok with remakes as long as you're still using the BGM in RPG Maker Product.

LuckyAndrew13

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, I'm not 100% sure I got exactly what you're saying. Can you elaborate?

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Edits of RTP are allowed provided you legally own the engine from which they originate, and provided you only use the edited resource in a RPG Maker Engine.

Yegitu

artistic goofball
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wondered about the same thing to be honest, and also, if we are allowed to share it, as long as we have the correct RPG Maker (would be the RMXP music for me) itself.

LuckyAndrew13

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well in that case, I’m good. I have solid proof that I own a license for both engines, and I don’t have any plans to use the audio anywhere except for my game.

Thanks for the responses.

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Be aware that some DLC in the store have a "no edits" clause. You're OK with the RTP, but for any downloaded content, check for this logo:

If it doesn't have this you would not be OK to do what you want to do.

LuckyAndrew13

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, thanks for the heads up. I've only been using RTP, but I'll keep that in mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

have another character sheet! ill probably add some more details before i make my thread for this project
Every time the official RMWeb account makes a post, I think it's @Eliaquim writing it!

It's driving me crazy, but it's also wonderfully hilarious.
// Looks at Elfkisser, realizes he'd have to either install Windows 10 or compile it for Linux
// Didn't install Elfkisser.
Too much effort for a curiosity. :popcorn:
I was just high-fiving myself for all I've learnt in the engine, and how far I've come, only to forget to remove the Immortal state from a semi-scripted battle. Now the enemy never dies and I feel so smart >.>
Playtest your stuff. Always playtest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gremter