Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses

DOWNLOAD v.1.1.2

17MB (No RTP)

Oh, hi! I did not see you there. Please come in and have a seat.

So, this is my first finished game (of a thousand and one more projects that I have not finished).

It's a small game that will not take you more than a couple of hours to finish, but it has a couple of features that I would like to highlight:

*Simple story with a couple of twists here and there to make it interesting.

*Five different endings, (technically three of them are game overs, but who's counting).

*ATB that requires a little more strategy than just smashing the same button.

*Two side-quests.

*Mode 7 overworld map, light effects, and all the goodness from a variety of eye candy scripts.

STORY SYNOPSIS

You are the hero that defeated a powerful dragon and saved the kingdom. With that kind of fame, even the Good king wants your help, so he ask you a very important mission: Rescue the Queen, from the Vampire King.

Ok, you must be thinking: "So... that's it, vision_bond? Is that all  your brain can do to come up with a story? Shame on you."

In this case yes. But let me explain myself.

The purpose of this personal project was to finish a game (Finally! after two months) instead of just procrastinating and playing with tons of scripts that lead me to nowhere.

So, I decided to follow a couple of tutorials and be as fast as possible without using extra fancy stuff that always distracted me, like fog effects, light effects, and other super-duper scripts (I'm sure you know that feeling ;) ).

I have to mention that i failed miserably, and fell for the beauty and "sexyness" of a lot of scripts, and I had to use them. :|

But I also finished the game, YEAH! :D
In this case the story I chose is the most conventional of all rpgs: rescue someone and defeat the evil one, just so I had not to worry too much with that part of the developing, and I could focus on the gameplay; but the story has a couple of twists here and there so it can be more interesting.
SETTING

The world of this adventure is set on a medieval era similar to ours, but with a hint of steam punk technology.

The world is divided in four kingdoms that have been at war for the last 100 years, but this adventure only explores the capital of one of them and a couple of islands (for faster development purposes).

One of the goals for this project is to add more content in time. Now that is finished I can focus on expanding the world, but even if this does not happen because I'm lazy, or get distracted with a shiny object, the game is still finished and can be played and understanded on its own. It's not a chapter or a piece of a bigger game. I hope I can explain myself, if not, don't worry and just enjoy the game.
CHARACTER BIO

Hero

This handsome guy is the hero of the story.

He likes to go on adventures, find hidden treasures, slay dragons, polish his sword, and take long walks on the beach.
SCREENSHOTS

I knew you will come here first. Well, there you have it, the pics.

Just a little note.

Almost all the maps I used are sample maps, so I could gain some time and make things faster (but mostly because I suck at mapping...) I edited them a little so they were not that dull.

GAMEPLAY INSTRUCTIONS & TIPS

*Each enemy has an elemental weakness.

Find it, and use the appropriated "force" magic (Fire force, Wind force, etc.) to make double damage to the enemies, and halve the damage of their attacks.

For example. The slimes element is water, and they are weak to earth, so use "Earth force" against them.

*The "Special" skills require "EP" or energy points.

To gain EP you can do a couple of things:

-Use the "Guard" command to gain 30 EP (also, as usual, the Guard command reduces the damage you receive).

-Use the ability "Focus Energy" to gain 60 EP.

Please notice that EP unless MP, are not accumulative and you have to charge them every battle.

*As in other rpg games, Magic abilities require MP. But please notice that in this game, MP are not restored with potions or sleep.

If you need MP you have to use the ability "Mana Drain", to absorb MP from enemies.

*The "Battle Advantage command" is the bar that appears before a regular battle.

If you don't press the acton button while the cursor is on the middle section and let the cursor go to the red edge, you won't be able to use the "Auto" and "Escape" commands.

*As a rule of thumb, the enemies have their own regions, so you will not find a stronger one, unless you enter its region.

If you find an enemy that is too strong for you, avoid that area, and battle weaker enemies until you gain enough levels.

*Use battle items. Except for some specific cases, the enemies are weak to all status effects.

*If you find the encounter rate too annoying use the item "Holy crystal" to repel enemies.

*As a rule of thumb, the next point to go is near, unless otherwise indicated. Search a little. You won't get lost. ;)

*Check every object. You never know when are you going to find something useful.

*Always check behind the curtains.

*The game has two sub-quests. It's not difficult to find them, I suggest you to look a little.

But if you are impatient and want to know, I will give you a little spoiler about them.
*One begins talking to the bartender.

*One begins investigating the mansion on the town.

If there are more doubts I will update this list.

CREDITS

Graphics
*Enterbrain
*Celianna
*Rico

Music
*Enterbrain
*OnClassical 

http://archive.org/details/OnClassical-BachPartitas-Vol.I
*Bumps and Grinds Bill Grundy - Morris Levy - Sonny Lester

Scripts
*Yanfly
*Yami
*TDS
*Zerbu
*Brandon
*MGC
*Moghunter
*Khas Arcthunder
 arcthunder.site40.net
*DiamondandPlatinum3
*Mithran
*Mr. Bubble
*Neonblack
*Casper Gaming
 http://www.caspergaming.com
*Seiryuki
*DoctorTodd
*Galv
*FenixFyreX

Testers

-Matseb2611

-

-

Game created by
*vision_bond
All comments and feedback would be very appreciated.

Now go and play the game! What are you waiting for?

EDIT. Uploaded v.1.1.2

CHANGES

==========================================================

v.1.1.2

*Fixed a game-breaking error.

*Fixed various minor errors.

*Added some minor cosmetic details.

v.1.1.1

*Objects like shelves and drawers, among others are interactive.

*Lowered encounter rate, due to popular demand.

*Made some adjustments to the enemies and their status.

*Corrected several small bugs and errors.

v.1.1.0

*New title screen.

*New window skin.

*Added a new item that allows to repel enemies.

*Corrected some errors and modified some game details.

Special thanks to zigman32 and Matseb2611 for their feedback.

*Each NPC have more dialogue lines. Now it's more interesting talking to them, and in some cases the info they give is relevant to sub quests.

*Two sub quests added.

v.1.0.1

*Corrected several grammar errors.

Special thanks to Shezou of the RPG Maker VX Ace community for his feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

vision_bond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
BUMP

So, guys. It's been a couple of days since I posted this marvelous and amazing piece of super-duper ultra game, and still no feedback.

Please, let me know if you liked the game and you think I am the next indie developer that will revolutionize the game industry, or if you disliked it so much that you think I am just a lazy lovable that makes small and boring games, and should not be allowed to have a computer and a copy of RPG maker VX Ace, because I am a disgrace to the community.

Ok, seriously. Any kind of feedback is good feedback, really.

If you did not like the game, it's perfectly fine, just do me a little favor and tell me why, so I can correct my errors. I won't hate you or anything, I'm here to learn. =)

And, if you liked the game please tell me that to, so I can know the things that I am doing right. As they say: "A bit of encouragement goes a long way."

EDIT. Just a little grammar correction here and there.

zigman32

Turn based friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'll bite....

first 10-15 minutes into the game or so...

You gave me 100,000 gold from the treasury, I think I read that I'm supposed too receive 10,000 gold.

either way, 100,000 gold is far too much, and completely destroys the purpose of intelligently choosing what too buy from the shops.

also, if you don't buy any new equipment, all the enemies everywhere own you

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello. I'll give it a try and I'll let you know what I think. That's pretty cool how you use Mode 7 for the overworld map. 

And don't worry too much if this is your first game and gets a lot of critique, since it's a learning step that will eventually help you to get better and make better games. 

zigman32

Turn based friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Paralysis from the anaconda is not wearing off......

also your a bit vague with your directions sometimes, i have NO IDEA WHERE the orc king is

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All righty, my first impressions so far:

- I liked how the stuff on the table and the shelves inside hero's house would disappear once you picked it up.

- Menu interface and overall presentation looks nice.

- The first battle I got into I was murdered in two turns by the wasps. Perhaps it's worth lowering their stats a bit.

- Drinking bar is nicely done with the classical music playing and the food appearing on the tables in the kitchen.

- The castle looks very nice on the outside.

- Now I am sort of confused, because I'm supposed to find the treasury room in the castle somewhere to get some gold, but I can't find it. Walked the entire castle now.

vision_bond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
I'll bite....

first 10-15 minutes into the game or so...

You gave me 100,000 gold from the treasury, I think I read that I'm supposed too receive 10,000 gold.

either way, 100,000 gold is far too much, and completely destroys the purpose of intelligently choosing what too buy from the shops.

also, if you don't buy any new equipment, all the enemies everywhere own you
See, that's what I am talking about. Some feedback that show me my mistakes, so I can correct them.

I did not think that giving the player that much money would be a downside for some.

Thanks to your advise, I came with an alternative solution, that I think will work better.

And about the equipment. Yes, you need to upgrade it to make things easier. But since it´s not that difficult to get money to buy new equipment, I think it is balanced in that aspect.

Thank you zigman32.

Hello. I'll give it a try and I'll let you know what I think. That's pretty cool how you use Mode 7 for the overworld map. 

And don't worry too much if this is your first game and gets a lot of critique, since it's a learning step that will eventually help you to get better and make better games. 
Thank you, for your kind words, Matseb2611. That's what I am hoping for with this game. To gain experince and make the next one better.

Paralysis from the anaconda is not wearing off......

also your a bit vague with your directions sometimes, i have NO IDEA WHERE the orc king is
Checked, and corrected. Thanks again for your advice.

Let's see. About the Ogre chief.

The door that leads to the Monster cave 1B, (where the Ogre chief is) is on the far left side of the Monster cave.

As a rule of thumb, the next point is near, unless otherwise indicated.
All righty, my first impressions so far:

- I liked how the stuff on the table and the shelves inside hero's house would disappear once you picked it up.

- Menu interface and overall presentation looks nice.

- The first battle I got into I was murdered in two turns by the wasps. Perhaps it's worth lowering their stats a bit.

- Drinking bar is nicely done with the classical music playing and the food appearing on the tables in the kitchen.

- The castle looks very nice on the outside.

- Now I am sort of confused, because I'm supposed to find the treasury room in the castle somewhere to get some gold, but I can't find it. Walked the entire castle now.
Thank you again for your nice comments. I think I am doing some things right after all. =)

Now let's see, about the battles.

If you find an enemy that is too strong for you, avoid contact with it, and battle weaker enemies until you gain enough levels.

As a rule of thumb, the enemies have their own regions, so you will not find a stronger one unless you enter its region.
And about the treasury room.

The way is behind the red curtains on the throne room.

Always check behind the curtains. ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry for the late response, guys.

I am working on the next version of the game, that's why I haven't checked the forum.

I will finish in a couple of hours and update the game with these changes.

Thanks again for your comments.

And let me remind you that anyone's feedback is welcome.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, I've gotten further now and have some more feedback.

- I've come across the wasps again and they've killed me once more. I thought of escaping, but couldn't find a way to do so.

- I'd agree with Zigman32 in regard to the money being in over-abundance (though if we get just enough to get the latest gear, then it's good) and the Orc King directions not being too clear (if I hadn't checked what you said above, I wouldn't have known where to go).

- I like how the battle music changes between battles. Though it probably would've been better if it changed depending on some factors, like who you're fighting or where you're fighting, as opposed to being completely random.

- I like the atmosphere inside the dark cave. Looks pretty spooky.

- I think the encounter rate on that island and inside the cave is way too high. I take only a few steps and have to fight.

- The idea of sea rocks giving you insta-death was pretty funny. The moment the captain said not to touch them, the first thing I did was to go and touch the first rock I could see. Haha.

- Overall I like the presentation. The game is fast-paced and I can see it uses a lot of scripts to make it look nice, though it is a bit too simple at its core, which is understandable, since you said it's your first game and you were simply getting familiar with the engine. I'll try to get further into it. 

vision_bond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
First of all.

I uploaded a new version of the game.

All the changes are listed in the first post.

Also, I would like to make a few comments about the new sub quests that I incorporated in the game. They are in spoilers so you can decide to read it now, or after you complete them.

*The first one is your typical fetch quest, you bring back a couple of items and get in exchange another. Just to give a little variety to the main quest. But I also  wanted to incorporate the (also classic) idea of having two powerful alternative bosses.

The reward of this sub quest is inspired on Dragon quest VIII. When you see it, please give me your opinion about it.

*The second one is based on the "Escape the room" type of game. This was originally one of the multiple projects that were never finished by yours truly. It was going to be a short game that would not take more than 10 minutes to finish.  But I liked the idea so much that I wanted to resume its development, and then it occurred to me that I could incorporate it to Legend of something as a sub quest. And so I did.

I like the overall adaptation of this mini game. Originally it did not have any story. It was only a character without face that had to escape from one of its nightmares.

The story that I came up with, for this sub quest blended so well in the game that I liked it more just for that.

===============================================================================

Now, let´s see.

Thanks, I've gotten further now and have some more feedback.

- I've come across the wasps again and they've killed me once more. I thought of escaping, but couldn't find a way to do so.

- I'd agree with Zigman32 in regard to the money being in over-abundance (though if we get just enough to get the latest gear, then it's good) and the Orc King directions not being too clear (if I hadn't checked what you said above, I wouldn't have known where to go).

- I like how the battle music changes between battles. Though it probably would've been better if it changed depending on some factors, like who you're fighting or where you're fighting, as opposed to being completely random.

- I like the atmosphere inside the dark cave. Looks pretty spooky.

- I think the encounter rate on that island and inside the cave is way too high. I take only a few steps and have to fight.

- The idea of sea rocks giving you insta-death was pretty funny. The moment the captain said not to touch them, the first thing I did was to go and touch the first rock I could see. Haha.

- Overall I like the presentation. The game is fast-paced and I can see it uses a lot of scripts to make it look nice, though it is a bit too simple at its core, which is understandable, since you said it's your first game and you were simply getting familiar with the engine. I'll try to get further into it.
I will answer in order.

-The escape command can be accessed pushing "left" on the battle window.

-I modified that on the new version. Thanks to your feedback I came with an idea that I think it works really good.

-I like that too. The battle theme is the one piece of music that you will hear the most on any rpg. That's why I like to change it every battle.

Now, the battle music is random on the normal fights, but the sub bosses and bosses have specific themes.

-Thanks. that's what I was looking for with the cave.

-You know, one of the several mistakes that I made and did not realize was to include a repel item. But this is special, because the item is in the game, BUT I DID NOT PUT IT ON SALE. XD

That is corrected on the new version.

I like this option better than lowering the encounter rate, because this item is not expensive, you can have many at a low-cost, and it gives the option to battle a lot, or not battle at all.

-Hahahaha. I'm glad you liked the sea rocks. For me it was an inside joke, but it's good that some one else find it  funny.

-Again, thank you for your feedback, Matseb2611. Yes, it is a simple game, that was the idea from the beginning: A simple game, that one person alone could make without much trouble in a reasonable amount of time.

In my humble opinion, and just as a note on the margin. It is impractical to try to make a game the size of Final Fantasy 6, just by myself.

If it takes YEARS to a FULL TEAM OF PROFESSIONALS to finish a game like that, imagine how much time will it take to one amateur guy like me, to accomplish such feature. That's why I stick to the basics.

Just my opinion. =)

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK then. I've gotten the new version now. However, I've just encountered a bug that's preventing me from getting further. When I fight the Orc King he seems to perma-stun me and I basically can't do anything else.

And yeah, that's a nice idea to have the item that can repel the encounters.

Yeah, that's true. It would take a long time to make a large game, but you don't have to make a 20-30 hour game by yourself in order for it to be epic. Even a 5 hour game can be great if it has a multi-layered plot and a lot of characters who participate in it, and also once you do more games, the learning curve won't be so steep anymore, so you'll be able to make progress faster. How long did it take to make this game?  

vision_bond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
OK then. I've gotten the new version now. However, I've just encountered a bug that's preventing me from getting further. When I fight the Orc King he seems to perma-stun me and I basically can't do anything else.

And yeah, that's a nice idea to have the item that can repel the encounters.

Yeah, that's true. It would take a long time to make a large game, but you don't have to make a 20-30 hour game by yourself in order for it to be epic. Even a 5 hour game can be great if it has a multi-layered plot and a lot of characters who participate in it, and also once you do more games, the learning curve won't be so steep anymore, so you'll be able to make progress faster. How long did it take to make this game?  
Mmm... that's strange, I just checked that part again and it did not do that to me. Sure, the Ogre chief uses "body slam" that inflicts the "stun" status effect, but it´s not permanent. At most, it uses it several times in a row, but the effect is still not permanent.

Also, remember that the you can use the "Rhino talisman" to prevents stun.

Right now I'm trying to polish this game before I continue with a new project, but even now I'm thinking of what to do next. And yes, making a longer game (4 - 5 hours long) with more characters and a real story is on my plans. I hope that what I learn with this game, helps me make the next one faster.

This project took me 2 months to finish it, and an extra week to release this version, with some add-on content.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All righty. So yeah, the three Orc chiefs did do the bodyslam repeatedly, so maybe that's why I was in Stun state all the time. But the Rhino talisman solved the problem. It's a good job I bought it before coming there. I like how they were all different colours. Oh and what's the deal with the chest that's left over after the main Orc Chief dies? I was hoping to open it and see what's inside, but the cutscene took me straight to the old man. Lol. His dialogue with the king was rather funny.

Yeah definitely. It's a good idea to always step up your game with each new project (sorry for the pun :D ), or at the very least to try out something new each time. That way the whole process of game making is much more interesting, because there's always a challenge involved, and your games should get better with each one. 

vision_bond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
All righty. So yeah, the three Orc chiefs did do the bodyslam repeatedly, so maybe that's why I was in Stun state all the time. But the Rhino talisman solved the problem. It's a good job I bought it before coming there. I like how they were all different colours. Oh and what's the deal with the chest that's left over after the main Orc Chief dies? I was hoping to open it and see what's inside, but the cutscene took me straight to the old man. Lol. His dialogue with the king was rather funny.

Yeah definitely. It's a good idea to always step up your game with each new project (sorry for the pun :D ), or at the very least to try out something new each time. That way the whole process of game making is much more interesting, because there's always a challenge involved, and your games should get better with each one. 
*Only the green one is the Ogre chief, the other two are his lackeys.

*The chest is a little incentive to come back to the monsters cave later. Appealing to the gamers curiosity; since there is no other real reason to come back. For now, at least.

*I'm glad that my silly conversations are funny not only to me. XD

And a little secret.

The chest is not left there by the Ogre chief. It is there from the beginning. So you can take it before fighting the Ogre chief. ;)

*I agree completely with your last point. It would be quite boring if every project was the same every time. Changing the recipe is what makes the creative process amusing. For example, I like how your three games are different.

And by the way, I just played a big chunk of Central impulse. I will give you my impressions of the game in a few minutes.

Thank you, once again for your feedback, Matseb2611. I will be waiting more of it, if you don't mind. You're almost at the end. =)

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heya again. Yep I've played some more.

Decided to stock up on those Holy crystals so that I won't have to fight as much and now I'm in the Vampire's castle. I've done the slippery floor puzzle (it was a good one), killed the Mimic, got 1000G, and pulled a switch that was in the corner, although I don't know what it opens in fact, because I've walked up to every other door in the lobby and they all appear to be locked (the one next to this room, the one next to the piano, and the main one upstairs). I also noticed the torches can be lit, though I don't yet have the means to do so, and also noticed all those codes on a piece of paper. Not sure what to do now actually. Any help perhaps? :)

Oh and I kept meaning to ask, but what does the battle advantage do? I noticed that if I press the action button early enough, it stops the cursor before it gets to the end. Does that simply give me an earlier go in the turn than the enemy? 

vision_bond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Heya again. Yep I've played some more.

Decided to stock up on those Holy crystals so that I won't have to fight as much and now I'm in the Vampire's castle. I've done the slippery floor puzzle (it was a good one), killed the Mimic, got 1000G, and pulled a switch that was in the corner, although I don't know what it opens in fact, because I've walked up to every other door in the lobby and they all appear to be locked (the one next to this room, the one next to the piano, and the main one upstairs). I also noticed the torches can be lit, though I don't yet have the means to do so, and also noticed all those codes on a piece of paper. Not sure what to do now actually. Any help perhaps? :)

Oh and I kept meaning to ask, but what does the battle advantage do? I noticed that if I press the action button early enough, it stops the cursor before it gets to the end. Does that simply give me an earlier go in the turn than the enemy? 
I'm glad you are still playing. =)

Let's see. About the order of the puzzles. I will give you just a little help. I know you can solve them. ;)

You need to look for the "Flint" to light the torches first, and then all the other puzzles go after, except for the piano one. (In fact that is only a switch, not a puzzle).

The flint is in an area really near the torches.

If you really can't find the "Flint" here it is another hint.

It is next to a demolished pillar.

You know, that is REALLY a GOOD question. What does the battle advantage do?

I know what is its supposed to do: give you a preemptive strike if you press the action button on the green edge. A normal battle in the middle. And a surprise attack from the enemy on the red edge.

But you know what it really does in this case? Nothing!

And I am really embarrassed for not noticing this before, because on my plays I kept pressing the button on the middle zone.

It is not the fault of the script, because it works like a charm with the normal battle system, but since I put the active time battle, it is not compatible.

dayum... = /

EDIT

After a little more research I founded that even if it does not work as I expected, it has an interesting effect: If you don't press the action button on the middle section and let the cursor go to the red edge, the "Auto" and "Escape commands won't be available. I like it, so it will stay like that.

Thank you again for your feedback. You are almost at the end! =D

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That title made me laugh so hard, I will try it (soon as I have some spare time).

vision_bond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
I'm glad that it made you laugh, Lord Clarence Macdonald.

Please try it whenever you have time.

It's a short game, so it would take you just a couple of hours if you play it in a single session. =)

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not bad at all, but I found the battles a bit too on the hard side, it's very easy to lose at the beginning (even with a decent strategy).

The mapping is good (although I'm not a fan of that Mode 7 script, it just looks odd).

The Battle Advantage script is cool, but why I can't escape from battles? It's frustrating to play this way.

Another frustrating thing are the status effects, if an enemy paralyzes me then it's most likely Game Over, and there's no way to prevent that (since you have only 1 character).

However, for a first try it's a solid game, will play the rest tonight.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All righty, so I've completed it. :)

I really liked the way it ended. It was rather unexpected, because throughout the entire game you're led to believe that it's just another fantasy plot of saving a damsell from an evil lord, but then it turns out everything is not quite so. So good job with that. Hehe. And now it opens up a room for a sequel. 

With the vampire lord, I noticed he didn't have all that many attacks. He mostly just kept doing the life drain and one time he cast confusion on me, but other than that I didn't see any other attacks. 

Oh and yeah, the location of the flint wasn't so obvious. If you hadn't told me, I probably wouldn't have known. The other puzzles are quite nice though, like inputting the vampire lord's name into the book and the strange directional tiles thingy. I only was wishing there weren't so many encounters, but on the other hand I did have plenty of Holy crystals, so I made sure to use them a lot. 

Ah and I see now about the battle advantage. Yeah, it's not really a big issue to me if it didn't work as intended. 

Well, pretty good overall for a first game. You now have a good basis to build from for your future games, and you seem to be really comfortable with using scripts, something I often struggle with. 

vision_bond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Not bad at all, but I found the battles a bit too on the hard side, it's very easy to lose at the beginning (even with a decent strategy).

The mapping is good (although I'm not a fan of that Mode 7 script, it just looks odd).

The Battle Advantage script is cool, but why I can't escape from battles? It's frustrating to play this way.

Another frustrating thing are the status effects, if an enemy paralyzes me then it's most likely Game Over, and there's no way to prevent that (since you have only 1 character).

However, for a first try it's a solid game, will play the rest tonight.
Hello again, Lord Clarence Macdonald. I'm glad you are playing the game.

Let's see, in order.

-Have you checked the "game instructions and tips" section on the first post? I think if you understand the rules of the battles, they will be easier. But the last word is yours. Please let me know if that helped. =)

-Thank you for your opinion on the mapping. But I'm afraid almost all of them are sample maps, I just added details here and there.

-On the "Battle advantage" screen, if you let the cursor go to the red edge, you won't have access to the "Escape" command.

-The "Paralysis" state is removed after the character receives 20% of damage. I think that's reasonable. But maybe the real trouble here, is that the enemies use attacks that give status changes, several times in a row. I will double-check that. Also, please notice that you can use different "talisman" accessories (Mole talisman, Snake talisman, etc.) to prevent status changes.

Thank you for your feedback. I will be waiting more of it, if you don't mind.

==============================================================================

All righty, so I've completed it. :)

I really liked the way it ended. It was rather unexpected, because throughout the entire game you're led to believe that it's just another fantasy plot of saving a damsell from an evil lord, but then it turns out everything is not quite so. So good job with that. Hehe. And now it opens up a room for a sequel. 

With the vampire lord, I noticed he didn't have all that many attacks. He mostly just kept doing the life drain and one time he cast confusion on me, but other than that I didn't see any other attacks. 

Oh and yeah, the location of the flint wasn't so obvious. If you hadn't told me, I probably wouldn't have known. The other puzzles are quite nice though, like inputting the vampire lord's name into the book and the strange directional tiles thingy. I only was wishing there weren't so many encounters, but on the other hand I did have plenty of Holy crystals, so I made sure to use them a lot. 

Ah and I see now about the battle advantage. Yeah, it's not really a big issue to me if it didn't work as intended. 

Well, pretty good overall for a first game. You now have a good basis to build from for your future games, and you seem to be really comfortable with using scripts, something I often struggle with. 

Hey, excellent! You are the first one to tell me that finished it. I feel that at last my little game has fulfilled its purpose. XD

But seriously, thank you for giving it a chance.

-I'm really glad that you liked the end. It's good to know that it had the expected result on the gamer.

-Mmm... I see. I will tune the final battle to make it more interesting.

-One aspect of my games that I will have to improve, is the way I give directions, to not make them so obscure.

It's not an excuse, but I grew-up with games that had that style. So I guess that I'm really old-school.

But, the times have changed, and I must adapt to them.

-I'm glad that you liked the puzzles. I really enjoyed making them.

-I also will tune the encounter rate, as it seems that it is a down-side to many.

-About the battle advantage. After a little more research I founded that even if it does not work as I expected (giving you a preemptive strike on green, normal battle on the middle and surprise attack on red) it has an interesting effect: If you don't press the action button on the middle section and let the cursor go to the red edge, the "Auto" and "Escape commands won't be available. I like it, so it will stay like that.

Once again, thank you so much for your feedback, Matseb2611. I will make sure to have it in mind for my next game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Have fun with English: a "fire grenade" is not portable napalm but a fire extinguisher tool.
2 days ago someone tried to convert me to Islam. Today youtube tried to convert me to Catholicism. The only thing left would be to meet sone Jehova's witnesses.
I just successfully tested changing music by region, and changing it between continents on the world map after getting on/off the airship. I had to override the default audio transitions with eventing to make it change smoothly but it worked.
Stream will be going live shortly with some more Witcher 3, then we will switch to another game! Feel free to drop by~
Finally scripting out the story after WAYYYYY too long of having 0 idea of how to approach said scripting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmeeDucks