RMXP Legends of Astravia | RPG Inspired by SNES/PSX Classics

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Jaiden, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Jaiden

Jaiden RMXP Fiend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    [​IMG]

Version 2.3b demo is finally released! Download: RMN Itch.io

CURRENT PROJECT COMPLETION: ~15%​

SYNOPSIS
    Legends of Astravia is a story-driven, puzzle-based RPG inspired by classic Super Nintendo games like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and the Legend of Zelda.

It was originally created for the IGMC 2017 contest, but what was supposed to be a small game turned out to become the introduction to an epic RPG.

The game starts off in the small town of Mordin Village, bordered by forests and swamps on the western edge of Astravia. After being rescued by the local swordsman, Baldric, you find yourself at a loss for any of your past memories. Under the assumption you were a courier from the city of Valica to the east, you decide to prepare for your venture there, with hope that the familiar environment will help you regain your memory.

However, your plans quickly change when you discover a member of Mordin Village is in danger...

FEATURES
    • Fast-paced “Action Timed Battle” system that relies on strong decision making.
    • Multiple party members with individual combat styles
    • Plenty of monsters, but no random encounters! You choose your own battles.
    • Various dungeons, caves, and towns to explore with unique puzzles and characters.
    • Various side-quests with special rewards.
    • Crafting / Extraction / Enchantment system for weapons, equipment, and items.
    • Dynamic lighting, weather, and a fully-functional day / night cycle.

SCREENSHOTS
    Note: Some of these are a bit outdated...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

CHARACTERS
    Oliver
    [​IMG]
    The protagonist of our story. Once a former courier of Valica City, he found himself in Mordin Village after being attacked in the swamps bordering the small town. Struck with amnesia after the attack, he remembers little besides his own name.

Though somewhat weak-willed, his perseverance is unmatched when met with a task. During his time in Mordin Village, the local swordsman Baldric offered him a home and trained him in the ways of combat. Oliver hopes to return to Valica City to gain hints in restoring his memory.

His plans begin to change, however, on the day strange happenings take place in Mordin Swamp. A revelation forces him into an adventure that spans the plains of Astravia.

Baldric
    [​IMG]
    Baldric is a rather boisterous swordsman living in Mordin Village. He rescued Oliver from Mordin Swamp one day, setting the framework for Oliver’s journey. As Oliver’s trainer, he teaches him the basics of combat and prepares for his journey back to Valica.

Baldric seems a bit rough around the edges, but his will is unmatched--almost to the point of stubborn recklessness. His skills as a swordsman are surrounded by a mysterious past...one that perhaps will come back to haunt him.

Lina
    [​IMG]
    Lina is Baldric’s wife, whose soft-spoken personality is a direct contrast to her husband. She stands by and supports Baldric and the other village members with a strong heart, and offers level-headed guidance and wisdom in even the worst situations.

Sarina
    [​IMG]
    A member of the Royal Order of Knights in Valica, Sarina is not a girl who stands by cultural standards. She joins Oliver on his journey not long after his visit to Valica City, with a desire to strengthen her abilities and protect the city from which she was born.

STORY INTRODUCTION
    Centuries ago, before calm villages and thriving cities, we were fated to perish at the brink of an inevitable apocalypse.

The ground quaked with terror as the day of reckoning manifested--the air burned with the sick certainty of death…

…and we begged to the Gods that our world would not be taken from us.

It was then that two figures appeared, casting their shadows across the horizon and blotting out the sun. In awe of their presence, the ground went still and the fires went silent--order returning to Astravia once more.

Hailed as legends from those who survived the Cataclysm, the First Shadow was generous and powerful, and the Second Shadow was neither. The two performed miracles said to be as dangerous as the Cataclysm itself, digging seas with the wave of their hands, shaping mountains with their shouts, and growing forests with only a whisper.

Perhaps their greatest feat, however, was their ability to take the form of whatever they pleased. And when the two Shadows grew tired of admiration, they took the forms of mortals and vanished into myth.

The remnants of their power…the Essence of their divinity, is all that remains to us.

CURRENT GOALS/PROGRESS FOR V3.0
    I have a hard time keeping up to date on all of Astravia's game pages, so view my dev progress on Trello!

CURRENT BUGS/ISSUES (V2.3)
    Let's face it...it's not always easy to release a demo bug-free! I am always seeking feedback, but here is what is currently known (and being fixed for the next update!)
    • If you receive the error "Failed to load script", you must ensure you're running the program from the same drive as your OS. There will be a workaround for this in the future
    • Controllers are not supported...yet!
    • Using an awakening after previously having been poisoned will display the poison animation briefly.

DOWNLOAD
    Note: Both downloads are free! Itch.io will ask if you wish to make a donation--you can click "no thanks" to bypass this.
    (Or donate to the project if you enjoy it!)

Download from RPGMaker.net: Link
    Download from Itch.io: Link

FULL GAME CREDITS

I typically make most of my updates on itch.io, including weekly devlogs (which I will begin linking here).
    You can also follow me on Twitter or join the official Discord server for updates and occasional easter eggs and progress images I don't post anywhere else.

Want to contact me privately? You can PM here, but I may not see it. Feel free to message me on Discord (Jaiden#5195), or email me directly.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. Jaiden

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
  3. Zaeran

Zaeran Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm going to check this one out. The battle system looks interesting!

4. Jaiden

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Thanks! And it is constantly improving. Please let me know what you think! The current demo might appear to be a bit "difficult" initially--some players mentioned they loved this, others suggested toning it down a bit, so I will be balancing it a bit better next update and working out any bugs.

Thanks for reminding me, actually, I updated the main post to include the already-known issues slated to be fixed.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  5. Jaiden

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
  6. Jaiden

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
  7. Zaeran

Zaeran Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    That new updated battle UI looks fantastically slick.

8. MelloBlackSheep

MelloBlackSheep Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm not really a fan of xp games but this looks amazing!

Marquise* likes this.
  9. Jaiden

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
  10. Jaiden

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Uploaded v2.1b, which was a very minor change. If you've yet to download--be sure to get this version!

11. Jaiden

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Currently working on some color adjustments to RMXP's weak tiles:
    [​IMG]

Marquise* and SoSick. like this.
  12. sheffield

sheffield Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    The ones on the right look much more crisp and vibrant. I think there's a bit of a glitch on top of the tree in front of the bridge, though.

13. Jaiden

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Ah yes, that's because it's a screenshot from the editor, my bad. Thank you though! I'm excited to see how it looks in-game with fogs and lighting soon :)

14. Jaiden

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    The game has been updated to version 2.3! There are a ton of updates to this new version, check out the full release notes and download the game here! The new demo is about ~3 hours long. I would love to hear your feedback and opinions.

SoSick. likes this.
  15. Paz

Paz Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey! I really like the recoulored mapping!
    New UI looks really promossing!

Also love the title splash! Keep up the good work!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  16. Jaiden

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Hey, thanks so much, I really appreciate the enthusiasm and kind words! However, it looks like this is artwork owned by someone else: https://www.deviantart.com/fieldweeble/art/Meteor-Shower-362271039

Can you please remove that image? I don't want my logo on someone else's artwork without their permission, sorry :(

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  17. Paz

Paz Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi!
    I've got written permission from fieldweeble on that art piece, I don't use art from someone else without their permission first

But I understand your concern, goodluck with your project :)

18. Jaiden

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Oh I see. I think I would have had to ask them myself, so I wanted to be careful. Thank you for your understanding:aswt:

19. Jaiden

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I haven't yet made a formal "where do we go from here" devlog about my plans for the next update, but I have started making progress on the new menu redesign and I think it looks quite sharp:

[​IMG]

See animated here:
    https://i.gyazo.com/8b41e40279faac194bec246e1039e7c0.mp4

SoSick. and Biestmann like this.
  20. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    New menu looking sharp! This still is an incredibly pretty game.