FREE Legion Saga MV [Recruiting Mappers]

Discussion in 'Project Recruitment' started by Arcmagik, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Arcmagik

Arcmagik Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    titlescreenshot.PNG
    There exists in the annals of the yesteryear a game that was considered a classic of the cloistered community of the RPGMaker 2000 engine. It was released in 2001 during a time when there were a few actual completed games... it went on to spawn an entire trilogy of games and an attempted remake by the creator of the first one in RM2K3. He canceled the remake and released what he had which is playable to a certain point as he moved from 2D game design to 3D design. He seems to be a pretty successful game designer nowadays if you look at his portfolio... but that is besides the point.

He has in the past given permission to people to attempt to remake the Legion Saga games... and those have not succeeded. That did not deter me as I approached him for permission to bring this classic RM game into the modern engine of MV!

“You're absolutely welcome to have a crack at it. Be sure to send me the results! :D I look forward to it. Seems like you can do some really cool stuff in MV!”

I have the twitter conversation to prove it.

Without further ado...

Game Synopsis (Short - See Game Thread for the full synopsis).

Legion Saga follows the story of Prince Durane of the Kingdom of Meluvet. King Meluvet has declared war against the neighboring nation of Garalas. Durane is sent to the frontlines to seize strategic town that will allow Meluvetian troops to cross into Garalas but the young prince struggles with his feelings towards the war. Things to begin to spin out of control for Durane when he is mistaken for someone else... and suddenly he finds himself struggling not only with finding the truth of his own history but who is pulling the strings behind the war between the two nations.

Current Team
    The Team So Far...
    Name: Arcmagik
    Position: Everything At One Point or Another, Primarily Mapping/Eventing, Development Manager
    Description: I will be handing the dialogue and the writing with a little help from my wife with editing and word choices (this woman has 3 word books... just books that she writes words that she likes in for writing). I will handle implementing everything into the RPG Maker Engine itself including the database, events, plugins, etc etc. I will back up every position as needed as I can.

Team Recruitment
    See Note Inside
    I don't want to sound pretentious but I have seen a lot of recruitment threads. It seems a standard theme that people ask for help because they don't want to do it themselves or they are trying to get free services, etc etc. I have seen a lot of people call them out on it as well. So I am going to be frank... These positions are ones that I would like to see filled... They will drastically cut down on the amount of time that development will take but they are not going to stop the game train.

That being said I also want to say that I will value each member of the team. The skills that they bring to the table which I do not have and the concepts/ideas that also do not have.

No experience with the Legion Saga games, Suikoden games, or any other games about a collection of people coming together under one banner in order to wage war against a corrupt country is required, but that knowledge would be invaluable to me.

IMPORTANT: Communications is paramount. I prefer at the very least weekly communication (even if to say you hadn't worked on anything yet) though I'd be alright with daily communication! A simple "No Progress Made" will be fine. I don't want to be expecting something only to find out someone has gone missing on me. If more than two weeks goes by without a single communication I will assume the worse and move on/replace. I know everyone involved is volunteering their time but I want to continuously be making progress on something so I need clear communication so I know what I need to focus on!
    • ADDENDUM: A theme I have noticed in several positions that I had spoken to people for seems to be an exceptional amount of guidance. Let me be clear about my expectations here. I am looking for a team... I am not looking for people to do work for me. I am looking for people with ideas that adds value to the game. I am looking for people to help with the direction of each position. This will basically make you autonomous which is why communication is important as stated above. If I could do it then I would, but I am not going to get in the way of those that are doing it. My primary concern is everything comes together and looks the best. What I will do is provide reference for you if that is required but I will leave the discretion for the work with you. I am not looking to micromanage everyone.

Current Team Focus
    Mapper (1+)

Mapper (1+)
    Mapping is essential to the game. The more mappers that better... however an additional mappers need to be able to work autonomously... including putting together tilesets for the maps they are responsible for.

Why do I want a Mapper: Mapping for me can be long and tedious. As you can see from the example maps that I can map but it can be tiresome. I am trying to get all mapping done (or at least all the maps per chapter!) Many of the maps are based off of the old 2k3 maps, but since mapping style back then was different then now I want someone that can re-imagine the maps into the current mapping styles.

Why don't I need a Mapper: I am already doing the mapping but it will just take awhile.

Responsibilities: Converting older 2k3 maps and visualizing additional new maps into the game. Putting together required tilesets for mapping (or alternatively using the available resources to put together Parallax Maps without having to set-up the tilesets). The Legion Saga R for 2k3 has 178 maps listed some of these are not actual game maps (and it wasn't completed), but assume we are looking for around 200 total maps by the end of the game.

titlescreenshot.PNG Share.PNG Share2.png TF_BargonCastleExterior.PNG TF_MidlandsMap.PNG TF_Seimu.PNG Share3.PNG

The Other Positions (Available)
    Currently I am not actively recruiting for these, but they will be needed in the future so if you are interested and want to come aboard then you are welcomed!

Scripter - JavaScript (1+)
    Battle Sprite / Battler Artist (1+) - Time Fantasy Style

Spriter (1+) - Time Fantasy Style
    Battleback Artist - Time Fantasy Style

Other Position
    Is there something that I didn't name and you think it is vital to team & project? Let me know! Eventually I am going to try to recruit a primary Composer (once the project is complete), possibly someone that can work with Damage Formula because I can't seem to get it right but I am working on it until then, at some point I will need game testers, and who knows what else I will need. Give me your ideas on what I need!

Legion Saga Discussion
    “I remember those games... I always had some ideas about them or for them. Let me tell you...”

Yes, do tell! Discussion is the breeding ground for creativity. I have been scouring the internet on everything Legion Saga from Let's Play to walkthroughs to other attempted remakes. The original story wasn't quite so coherent as it could have been. It deserves to be polished up! You might have been around during that time and know stuff that I don't... I want to hear from the community on this as well!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Zeriab likes this.
  2. Arcmagik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll be updating this thead again this weekend with progress (I feel like it helps to show people I am actually working on it and not just "trying to find people to make my game for me"). 

Also to link back to my early feedback thread so it's like the circle of life... 

3. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Woohoo! Legion Saga remake! This sounds quite exciting. Don't have time myself to join but wish you guys best of luck!

4. Arcmagik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  5. Leon Kennedy

Leon Kennedy Restaff Novice Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can help with sprites, granted I'm working on my own game but I get burnt out from time to time and sometimes just make resources for fun and post em here. I have 10 years exp in photoshop. Here's some sprites I made as a reference of sorts not the best I know but yeah I can make RTP stuff look unique.

6. Tobbx

Tobbx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Like you say a main composer might not be a requirement. I doubt I can find the time to compose full time for a hobby project but since I really did enjoy the classic Legion Saga games and would love to see them remade in MV I would love to contribute with atleast some themes if this project matures in reality.

Some example compositions of mine. 

A military theme of some kind. Might fit the atmosphere of this kind of game. 

A character theme I wrote for a game of my own. But I'm honest with myself and a game of my own will jsut never happen. 

A map theme of some kind. I did think of an old temple in a forest meadow when i wrote it. 

A battle theme. 

7. Arcmagik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Tobbx I like what I hear! I could especially see the first track during the Seimu scene or even during the war scenes. I will keep you in mind as the project gets along and will drop you a PM once I have made some significant progress.

@gomiamiheat6804 If I am going to stick with RTP the biggest thing I will need will be the custom pose sprites for the dueling system. Much like was scene in Legion Saga R. (I'll post a video at some point) so if you think that is something you can do then we can talk.

8. Arcmagik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can technically bring this thread up-to-date without just an edit as it has been more than 3 days yay. I continue to make my own strides towards the game. I will not be updating this thread directly unless I close a position on the team. All updates will be linked in the Early Project thread from now on.

9. FroggyGames

FroggyGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  10. Arcmagik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @FroggyGames Like Tobbx said, I need to organize the music that I will need which means we need to get further along in the project. I will be in touch soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2016
  11. Arcmagik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    9/9/16

I think we have gotten enough offers for composers that I am going to close up that position. I've been neck deep in mapping. As much as I want to learn it I am not looking forward to the next step of the journey... Sprites but that is likely months of mapping away.

So I am still looking for a Spriter. I want to de-chibify the game I added a link to hiddenone's Taller Sprite base which is the style I am going for as Candacis (whom I was previously using) was not quite tall enough in game... still looked to short but hiddenone's looked just right.

I've settled in to using Askestics Battlers but I am still looking for someone to do the 26 sprites for the players battle party (I would prefer Vibrato's style but I will settle with just de-chibifying them and adding weapons). Even non-sprite style like Exit Fate would be fine with me.

Happy Game Making Everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2016
  12. Arcmagik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    9/13/16

It has been a good couple of days for the Project. It looks like we will have a second mapper to help me out. We might have a music lead to help generate the asset list for our composer (if not help with composing themselves). Lastly we might have secured someone to do the Sprite work too. I also secured someone to do the facesets

That leaves me in need of someone to help with the scripting / setting all the plugins and making them do what we need.

And lastly after looking over Aekestic's available battlers... that isn't going to happen. So I still need someone to do both Enemy and Allied Battlers.

I'll update the main post tonight as I am currently working from my phone.

13. IamGilgamesh

IamGilgamesh Game Developer - Rapper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have a specific set of skills based around problem solving, especially around plot. If you feel stuck, I'm a go to guy for that. We can always find the solution.

14. Arcmagik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @IamGilgamesh Excellent. Most of the plot is already written from the original... but the custom content that I am adding will be plotted out by myself so I will keep you in mind!

15. IamGilgamesh

IamGilgamesh Game Developer - Rapper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Understood. Feel free to use me. Same for any concepts or anything else. I'm a problem solver.

16. Arcmagik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update

I have put back up that we need a Spriter. At this stage I am fine with the MV Chibi. I don't need someone that can edit sprites. I need someone that can take a naked base... a sample of another sprite and get as close to the recreation as possible. If we don't find someone then I will be learning this very soon. Ideally, of course, is someone that would be able to take all of our chibi sprites and convert them to taller sprites, but I am realistic about that being unlikely so for now I just need a standard MV Sprite Artist.

17. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How many sprites do you need?

18. Arcmagik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @mlogan About between twelve and sixteen. I am pretty sure all of them are just RM2k / RM2k3 remakes that wasn't done with the DLC remakes.

19. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I sent you a message.

20. Arcmagik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have removed the Spriter tag in the title though we are still looking for someone to help with making MV Sprites as detailed (though we have a little help now so it likely won't be the full load) above we will be looking for about 2 full sheets of sprites. We also have several custom poses we'd like to see but that is not a need just a desire.

We still need a Scripter but in this case we don't need full scripting done we just need someone that understands Javascript and can do some things through Lunatic Mode with Yanfly Plugins and such. Plus just general Plugin Maintenance to make sure they are all working together.

And last is the Battle Artist. As long as the style looks good I am open to changing the default MV SV Battlers. We need 27 battlers for the player to choose from (or less we are using MV's style). If you want to help take on the task of enemy battlers I welcome you to that as well but again I feel like there is enough floating around that I can make do.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016