Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Introduction

Legionwood 2: Rise of the Eternal's Realm is an epic length traditional role playing game created in RPG Maker VX Ace and a direct sequel to the much loved Legionwood: Tale of the Two Swords. It is the first installment in the epic Legionwood 2 saga.

Legionwood 2 features a 12+ hour quest that takes place in the sprawling empire of Trevelle, filled with puzzles, challenging enemies and tons of adventures. The new class and sub-class system allows you to customise your characters to a high degree with over 80 different class combinations available.

Story Outline

Legionwood 2's story follows on from where Legionwood: Tale of the Two Swords left off. It has been nearly three hundred years since Castoth was banished from the realm and the world has been at peace. However, it seems now that this peace is about to come to an end. Barbarians from the western land of Entoban have invaded the empire of Trevelle, occupying two major cities near the western border. Lionel Morton, a guard in the Imperial Capital, has transfered to a battalion assigned to retaking the captured towns. Tonight, they move to liberate the city of Corinthe, where Lionel's lover Clara waits, alone and in danger.

Several other things of note have been happening in Trevelle of late: monster attacks seem to be on the increase for some unknown reason and trade with Charn in the north has mysteriously stopped without notice. Can these things be connected with the war that is seemingly about to engulf the Empire?

Game Features

- An epic length quest with 12+ hours of gameplay and lots of optional side quests.
- An interesting storyline about love, revenge, political intrigue and forgotten secrets with 6 fully developed protagonists.
- Tense Condition Turn Battle (CTB) inspired by Final Fantasy X featuring challenging foes who react intelligently.
- Intuitive class system for a high level of character customisation. Your Main Class determines your stat values, usable equipment and Tech category, but you can also equip a Sub Class, which grants you access to an addition category of Techs. Over 80 combinations are possible!

- Non-linear gameplay that changes depending on your choices. You can't encounter everything in a single playthrough!

- Play with mouse, joypad or keyboard.

Screenshots

Purchase/Demo Download

You can buy Legionwood 2 for $5.99 USD or download the free demo from here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asterisk

アステリ (ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ♪
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Woo Legionwood 2!

I'm always up for a good CTB ^^ Will keep my eyes open for updates! <3

Good luck~

BulletPlus

A True Gunfighter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This game looks really promising. will keep an eye out for it.

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi everyone,

Glad you're all looking forward to it. I've had to suspend progress in order to get a whole bunch of uni assignments done, but now that I'm on Easter break, I'm going to really sit down and get some work done on it, and hopefully release the first chapter soon.

EbonyBlade

69th Prestige
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh yeah! Legionwood was a really challenging but great RPG. I'm looking forward to this. I hope that this will be as challenging as the first one.

Reaction score
First Language
Melayu
Primarily Uses
Hi everyone,

Glad you're all looking forward to it. I've had to suspend progress in order to get a whole bunch of uni assignments done, but now that I'm on Easter break, I'm going to really sit down and get some work done on it, and hopefully release the first chapter soon.
Take your time man. We want the best release from you. ;)

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Don't worry, Nelneo, I'm giving it due attention.

@EbonyBlade: It's just as challenging. You'll like it.

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Saturday, 21st of April, 2012

It's finally out!

The first ever public release of Legionwood 2 (Beta Build 1.1) is now available for download. This release contains the entire first chapter of the game, which represents roughly 3-4 hours of gameplay time, with 4 dungeons, 2 towns and 5 bosses.

This release has been tested and as far as I can tell, all bugs have been ironed out, though balancing and difficulty issues may be present. There are also some small bugs that occur as a result of this being made in the Japanese VX Ace (namely that random squares appear in battle text and in the status screen) though these will likely be fixed when I port the project over to the English version.

Hesufo

Homu!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Clocking in at 1 hour, I've played a good deal and I've got to say, Legionwood 2 is pretty darn fun; however, it does have its shortcomings, and a list of bugs and observations I will leave in spoilers at the end (some are really big and important!)

The gameplay is interesting and the class system encourages the player to try out various combinations. I'm always in for customization options! :) However, I feel what defines them the most are the equipment. Accessories play a big role in defining character stats, and I think it's for the worse, because it's way too big a role, I mean, a mage getting nearly half their INT from just your Accessory? This really makes the "Main Class" changes pale in comparison. Additionally, weaker classes such as Clerics and Magi, take just way too much damage from attacks - regular enemies can kill them in two hits just like that - this, along with the aforementioned issue, just made me switch to a Warrior main class with INT items for casting, just so I could wear the Heavy equipment so that I didn't get two-shotted with my caster. Aside from that, though, battles are balanced. The items are fine (although I've never been a fan of letting the player heal MP so cheaply) although damage items seem a bit weak.

The storyline is presented quite fast to the player, and I think I didn't get to see enough in order to get emotionally involved with Lionel, the main character. Perhaps you could add a cutscene from the past of him and Clara. The moral dualism motif seen both with the barbarians and the goblin king comes off a bit bland and simple, as well. Also, the constant pauses in dialogue are annoying at times. :unsure:

The music is pretty nice, it goes along with the mood most, if not all, of the time. Kudos on this, you chose some darn fine pieces. I would suggest to convert them to .ogg and loop them, though ;)

The mapping is okay, it does its job but it doesn't come off as particularly interesting. The first dungeon strikes a similarity with randomly generated VX dungeons; this is more of a personal point, but these kinds of maps look sort of boring~

Last but definitely not least, here is a list of bugs, typos and other errors I found:

-A few typos: Boudica says "thier" lives, for example, in the conversation you eavesdrop.

-Salve and other items have no animation, is this intended?

-Text blurbs sometimes show a dim square when they finish (mainly descriptions).

-First time I got control in the camp, I didn't check the tent and was able to exit the campsite and take a quest

from Brutus all alone (and the cutscene shows the other two members) - you should prevent the player from exiting

the camp until you've talked to Aelia and Felix.

-You can see the characters in the line formation, as well as around the table in the camp scene. Lengthen the fade-out/

fade-in sequence so you can properly switch them around without the player being able to see 2 Aelias and Felix's. :)

- Energy Bolt's learn "scroll" has the same description as Shock Bolt, which is obviuously misleading.

- Mapping bugs in the Corinthe Equipment Store - you can walk through to the roof tiles in the entrance.

- The "Stun" state is broken: it never wears off, and this can hinder your party greatly, or break boss battles (Spider Web item)
All in all, it's been a fun adventure. You have succeeded, once again, in creating a nice game with old-school vibes! I will continue my playthrough later.

Good luck with the future release!

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi Hesufo,

Thanks for your observations and comments. I'm working on all of them. I'll upload another version of the game with those things fixed. Balancing is my main focus, with working on the story coming later. When making this release, I was mainly concerned with getting it playable and having working mechanics, and I really only did a rough script for the story (intending to rework it later once the balancing and such are fixed).

EDIT: I'll let you in on a secret though; those dungeon maps ARE randomly generated. I suck at designing dungeons. Legionwood 1 was filled with them, as well.

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi Ness,

Thanks, I'll change that now.

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi guys, just letting everyone know that a new version is out (beta build 1.3) that fixes up quite a few balancing issues from the previously released version. You don't even have to download Legionwood 2 again, as I've uploaded it both in a full download and in a small update patch form.

Here's the changelog:

- Vanishing characters issue is fixed.

- Skipping the intro no longer prevents your characters from getting skills and items.

- Sub Classes no longer provide you with additional equipment options.

- Equipping a Sub Class now incurs a small statistical penalty, to attempt to balance equipping it.

- The Shield Earring no longer grants Attack. It now only grants Defense and Wisdom like it was meant to.

- The Swift Shoes now increase Agility by 20 instead of 50.

- There are no longer squares in the battle text.

- Enemies have had their Attack, Wisdom and Defense increased by 10%.

- The Curse Dryad is no longer encounterable in random encounters.

- Silencing now prevents Magus, Cleric and Rogue Techs from being used.

- Offense Ring, Mind Ring, Shoulder Pad and Shield Earring now grant percentage based bonuses.

- An extra cutscene has been added when the player enters the Forum in the intro.

- The description for the "Energy Bolt" item has been fixed.

- Battle items have been made slightly stronger.

- Inn fade out time has been decreased by half.

- Blacksmiths no longer ask the redundant "can I help you? yes/no" question.

- Various typos have been corrected.

- Shop scene has been upgraded to now show detailed information about purchases.

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sunday, April 29th, 2012

What Comes Next?

Well, initial reception of Legionwood 2 seems to have been fairly positive. The first comments about the game have been invaluable in balancing and refining the mechanics and story, and it's done a lot better than I thought it would.

Hence, I've been spurred on enough that I've decided to work on another Beta release that will become available some time within the next few weeks.

This new Beta (version 2.0) won't include Chapter 2, but it will be including about an hour of extra content beyond the end of the current release, as well as refined systems, cleaned up cutscenes and writing and more.

The second Beta of Legionwood 2 will allow you to see Chapter One: Emergent Enemies through to its thrilling end, as the story picks up with Lionel and the group coming to after the explosion in Ironrim Mine to find that they've been knocked into the Eternal Gate!

Now they've become stranded in a lifeless world of darkness and danger that exists on the other side of the Gate, and while they desperately try to survive in the wasteland of Westholm so that they can reopen the Gate and return home, they'll encounter a certain character from Legionwood 1 and start to learn about the nature of the Eternal Gates and why they pose a threat to Legionwood.

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thursday, May 3rd, 2012

Ready for more adventuring?

As of today, the second public release of Legionwood 2 (Beta Build 2.0) is available for download. You'll be able to experience re-balanced gameplay, polished bugs and an entire hour of whole new content taking place in the world of Westholm, extending Chapter One: Emergent Enemies to 4 - 5 hours in length, with 7 dungeons, 2 towns and 7 bosses.

And, with that... I think that's it for now. I'll be taking a few months off Legionwood 2 in order to work on writing my next novel (since publishers give deadlines and all) and running the literary journal that I edit. Apart from updates for bug fixes and little gameplay tweaks, you probably won't be seeing Chapter Two for a while.

But it will come. Eventually.

Thanks for playing.

P.S You can resume playing the game using your old save file. To do this, just download the 2.0 build of Legionwood 2 and copy and paste your save files (Savexx.rvdata2) from the old directory to the new.

However, there is a small caveat: it appears VX Ace handles events after saving differently than VX. In VX, upon game load, the events present on the map will continue as they have been programmed, whereas in VX Ace, the events that were running when the game was saved will play first, even if those events no longer exist. Thus, loading a save taken at the very end of the last release will simply take you back to the title screen. You need to reload a save that was made at any time before the Brennus fight to be able to continue.

I'm aware of the bug now, and have carefully designed the end of this release to allow maximum save file compatibility.

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
BUMP!

Hey guys, I'd really like feedback on Legionwood 2! If you want this game to be as successful as its prequel, you need to play and comment :)

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Great! I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
Will be testing this tomorrow... though I'm still on the process of playing Legionwood...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I feel like I don't belong here. I feel like I have the exact opposite interests in storytelling as everyone else.
You know what really grinds my gears? Websites that block your access completely if you have an AdBlocker on...

I would rather skip the site than endure some popups that may give me a gnarly virus!
Guys this thread is so good and you should be reading it.
Once again have another case of an Android user losing all of their save files for all of my games after a single game update. Apparently even Yanfly's Save Core can't prevent it. Very frustrating.
Question! If anyone here has any of the Time Fantasy tiles, or the Omega Modern one, do they include character templates/bases/whatever the term is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
x01010110x