Legionwood: Tale of the Two Swords

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Dark Gaia, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Dark Gaia

Dark Gaia Disgruntled Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Game Overview
    Legionwood is a console style RPG made using RPG Maker VX. Legionwood is my attempt at creating a nostalgic and familiar RPG experience reminiscent of the classics of the early 90's such as Breath Of Fire and Chrono Trigger.
    Legionwood features a massive world filled with adventures and side quests, and is expected to contain over 20 hours of gameplay and four huge story driven chapters.
    While it isn't revolutionary and contains gameplay that is for the most part bog standard RPG fare, Legionwood is designed to be that way; familiar and fun for RPG fans looking for a casual game to play.

*There's also a sequel made with RPG Maker VX Ace in development! Head on over to http://legionwood.wordpress.com for the latest news!

Storyline
    The world of Legionwood. Once upon a time, it was prosperous and full of technological wonders. About three thousand years ago, a mysterious phenomena demolished most of mankind's cities, and as a species, they had to start again. This much, archaeologists and scholars know from the ancient ruins of technological cities and fortresses dotted throughout the most barren parts of Legionwood's surface.
    After at least two millennia had passed, mankind had begun to re-establish itself as the planet's dominant species. Major inventions were being rediscovered, and technological development had finally reached a medieval period. It was at this time when everything began to go wrong. Legionwood has always had war, but suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere began a furious and unpredictable world war that raged for years and devastated cities and nations worldwide. This terrible conflict, known as the Great War, ended as suddenly as it began, with no mention of its cause or conclusion to the public, and mankind began to pick up the pieces.

Now, one thousand years have passed since the Great War came to an end. Since that terrible time, makeshift peace treaties have ensured there have been only minor conflicts over the last centuries, but once again technology is on the rise, and half truths and legends about the Great War and its origins are prevalent in popular culture.
    Each country, empire and kingdom fears its neighbours, and only reluctantly are peace ties held in place. In a last ditched effort to try and maintain some sort of peace between the rival kingdoms of Charn and Trevelle, the king of Charn has decided to hold a celebration and
    festival to honor his new daughter's birth. Everybody in attendance is expecting a good time, but a key figure linked to Legionwood's dark past of conflict and death has been biding his time, and has decided that now is the perfect time to stage a new Great War and political upheaval. Simply looking for a way to wind down after months of hard work, Lann and his sister Liara come to enjoy the festivities, but soon they will both be pulled unexpectedly into an epic saga which may just have a battle to decide the world's fate waiting in its wings.

Game Features
    - A character driven story full of twists, turns and red herrings, and an intended gameplay time of around 20 hours.
    - 6 playable characters, each one with a distinct personality, which you can mold into your own custom character classes to suit your combat style.
    - Turn based combat with an emphasis on tough opponents and using skills, rather than mashing "attack" over and over. Think, don't button mash!
    - A custom soundtrack, composed entirely of non comercial game music, some exclusive to Legionwood.
    - Collect, raise and summon 5 elemental spirits to aid you in battle! Summon level up, learn skills and fight just like your party members!
    - Innovative Ability Point system by KGC allows you to choose which bonuses you gain in level ups, so you're free to decide which role your characters fill in your battle plan.

Screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Download

You can download this game from the page here:
    http://rpgmaker.net/games/792/

The game's expansion pack, Mysteries of Dynastland, is available here:

http://rpgmaker.net/games/792/downloads/5066/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
    XdnaX, Stanley, Kayzylenatz and 7 others like this.
  2. yieldingmydestiny

yieldingmydestiny n00b Veteran

First Language:
    Melayu
    Played it. One of the bests. Redownloading it to replay it.

3. habyunghun

habyunghun Warper Member

First Language:
    Korean
    It is one of the best games I have ever played.Hope I can find more games like this =D.

4. Dark Gaia

First Language:
    English
    There's a sequel in development. Give it a try if you liked this game - a few people have told me they think it's much better, too.

5. Demiurge

Demiurge 404: Title not found Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Easily one of my favorite RM games and one of the few I play more than once (right up there with Tales of a Drunken Paladin).

Can't wait for the sequel. ^.^

6. Dark Gaia

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for your praise. Drunken Paladin is a great game, and I'm honoured that you consider mine to be up there with the likes of it! The next release of the sequel (Beta 3.0) which will include the second chapter (the first chapter is already out - there's 4 hours of gameplay for you to try) is progressing well and should be out within the next two months. I hope you'll keep an eye out!

7. Dark Gaia

First Language:
    English
    Saturday, August 4th, 2012

Hi there, Legionwood fans! In celebration of Legionwood being featured on the front page of RPG Maker.net, I'm happy to announce that the Final Edition of the game is now available to download!

The Final Edition is the definitive version of Legionwood. This updated build of the game completely fixes the last of the remaining bugs in the game, restores a smattering of cut beta content to the game (such as the extra floor of the Pirate's Cove and the Adventure theme music) and, best of all, features a completely rewritten script, with every line of dialogue in the game addressed for clarity, brevity and spelling and grammar errors. Each of Legionwood's characters now has a more distinct personality, and there is more emotion and characterisation in the game than in previous builds. Foreshadowing and references to Legionwood 2 have also been inserted into the game, to create a stronger link between the two titles.

All of this work, including rewriting the dialogue and tightening up the game code took me about a month to complete - it wasn't a small task, but I've wanted to update the original Legionwood for a while, so I placed the sequel on hiatus to get it done. Now that the Final Edition is online and ready to play, I'm inviting all Legionwood fans and new players alike to give it a try and pass the time until the next release of Legionwood 2 with a more polished, better written RPG that I'm sure they'll enjoy.

With that said, I'll get back to work on Legionwood 2. Now that the Final Edition of Legionwood is released, I'm happy to move on to the future and make some long-awaited progress on the sequel. Keep an eye out for Beta 3.0 of Legionwood 2 some time in October, and I'll bring you more news on the game's development as it happens.

8. Prometheus

Prometheus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Downloaded this and very excited to start playing it. Borderlands 2 was getting stale...

9. Dark Gaia

First Language:
    English
    Well, I don't think that Legionwood is much of a replacement for Borderlands 2, but thanks for the interest. I hope you enjoy it! If you like it, please keep an eye on the sequel; I'm releasing the latest Beta (10 hours of gameplay; first 2 acts) in March :)

10. Dark Gaia

First Language:
    English
    Mac port now available!

Attention Mac owners: I'm pleased to announce that Legionwood has now been ported to MacOS, thanks to the efforts of Jammed Gears Productions, a Youtube based team whose mission is to make indie games more accessible to non-Windows players. I don't know much (if anything) about Mac systems, so I'm not sure how this port was made possible, but it sure is impressive to see Legionwood running almost flawlessly on a MacBook.

You can grab the port here. You should be able to play the game just by clicking on the "Legionwood.app" file contained within the archive. Please keep in mind, however, that this conversion was developed by an external team, and unfortunately Dark Gaia Studios cannot offer support or updates for any errors you may encounter.

Check out the port in action in this video:

11. byrdbones

byrdbones Ren Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Started it, don't have a whole lot of time, but really enjoying it so far...I can see the influence for sure, but still feels new.

Dark Gaia likes this.
  12. AnakNiBerto

AnakNiBerto Villager Member

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Great game! I'm currently enjoying!

13. Dark Gaia

First Language:
    English
    Glad you're both enjoying the game. The sequel is 60% complete so far, and I'm also working on a DLC that adds some extra quests and Techs, so there's plenty more to come :)

14. Dark Gaia

First Language:
    English
    Mysteries of Dynastland  expansion pack now available!

Wow, talk about not meeting deadlines, right? Some of you might remember that I annouced a Legionwood expansion pack, way back in late 2010. Although it ultimately ended up being cancelled due to hard drive failure, I managed to recover some of its assets a few months ago and, rather than doing the logical lazy thing and recycling them for Legionwood 2, I decided to piece them together and release the resulting mess.

So then, this is the Legionwood expansion I promised all those years ago but never actually delivered? Well, not really. But it's still a pretty cool addition to the Legionwood world.

[​IMG]

Legionwood: Mysteries of Dynastland is an expansion pack/DLC for Legionwood: Tale of the Two Swords. Featuring a huge new story dungeon set in the midst of the game's chaotic fourth act, as well as a considerable number of all new optional endgame quests, a revised final dungeon and over a dozen new Techs to learn, it expands the original game's playtime by at least three hours and adds several long awaited features to game, including a graphical world map and quest journal.

The main addition in Mysteries of Dynastland is the titular Dynastland dungeon, which takes place between the Sealed Library and Lost City Crebt areas in Chapter 4. This sprawling dungeon crawl is filled with new enemies, puzzles and challenges to test your skills against, and also reveals the never-before-seen backstory of Zanthus and his long lost homeland as your party searches for the mythical Purity Crystal, an ancient Precursor artifact rumoured to be able to manipulate time itself.

Other notable additions to the game include 12 brand new Techs, including unique Techs exclusive to certain characters, a new set of powerful Dynastland equipment, a late-game "scavenger hunt" quest that will take you to the furthest corners of the world, a complete overhaul and rebalancing of all late game content and an expanded final dungeon with a new, harder version of Castoth to fight -- in both the normal and "true" varieties. Overall, it pretty much turns the final act of Legionwood into a completely new game, which was one of my main goals as I was always rather unhappy with how rushed that part of the game turned out.

Anyway, if you're itching for some new adventures, you can grab the DLC here. Simply point the installer to your Legionwood directory and extract, overwriting files when prompted. In order to experience the new content at the appropriate difficulty level, I recommend either starting a new game or loading a game that was saved before the Sealed Library, though most of the new content except for the Quest Journal can still be accessed otherwise.

Check out these screenshots to see some of the new locations in the game:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with that, I'm off to work on Legionwood 2 again. Happy adventuring! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
  15. Ralph

Ralph Retired Badass Restaff Lead

First Language:
    Fantasy Heroics
    (I bet this game is a BUNDLE of joy ;)

Speaking of bundles, I heard about this game being in some kind of bundle...)

16. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Looking at LPs/playing RPG Maker games was very depressing, as lazy eventing, and such are common place, I was starting to wonder if anyone has made a acttual good game for RPG Maker, then I started playing this, and woot woot, finally a good game(infact as far as story driven games go, It's downright awesome, glad I found someone who put some real effort into their game, and where they dhould spend the effort too).

I love that stat allocation system you are using, the dungeon maps a pretty good, and the Summoning system is pretty awesome too, nice bonus feature there, great way to impliment Summons(I was never too fond of summons being treated as just glorified spells) The hand drawn/hand colored art in the cutscenes is a very nice touch too(has a nice organic feel to it)

Also I love the way It's balanced(on hard difficulty anyway), It's hard, but not brokenly hard, if you'tr not careful, you "will" die, however as long as you're not careless, you should make it out alive(It's basically how every RPG ever made standard difficulty setting should be).

Aside from minor issues(most of them are just minor mapping flaws, very minor), there doesn't seem to be anything noteworthy wrong with it, that is until you get to the desert, then a minor technical eventing flaw, becomes an annoying as hell flaw.

If you ever edit the game again, I strongly suggest when you transfer the player, don't land them on the transfer event(It's sloppy at the best of times, and on open field type maps like the desert, It's a nightmare), transfer the playyer 1 space away from the transfer event.

I'm about 13 hours in atm, so I guess back to playing it :)

I can't wait to see what the sequel is like, if you claim people are saying, is even better.

Edit: I found a bug(well oversight as it were), you set the ite Miracle Lute to always be useable, but since It's a Battle Item, It's suppose to only be usable in battle, so if you do release another version, you might want to fix that as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014
  17. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just discovered a major bug: You know that little port town you have(klain or whatever It's called), well evidently you can enter the town while still on the boat,. and it bugs the game out, asince when you leave town, now your boat will be on land lol, forcing you to load up a previous save to fix the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  18. Ieuru

Ieuru Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Just started playing this and so far I've got to say that it's been great. Good work! Hope the rest of the game is as enjoyable but I can see from some of the other comments that this should be the case.

19. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yea it is, and It's decently long to(not by just RM standards either, but awesome oldschool game standards as well.

I think there's stuff to do after the boss of the game, but providing that I'm upto  the final boss battle(lol the game even tells you, so unless It's lying), It's atleast a 30ish hour game, which is actually a extrmely big game, when you consider the fact It's a heavily story driven game as well(note: most story driven RPGs barely break the 20 hour mark). It's not only retains its quality throughout the game, but it gets better, and better as the game goes on.

Arkecia likes this.
  20. Ieuru

Ieuru Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    That's good to know. Got a feeling I'll be playing this game a lot over the next few days :)