Length of time for skill animations

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Zortik, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really prefer fast animations (1 second or less) for anything that's going to be used on a regular basis, so basic attacks and cheap skills. For medium tier or more unique kind of skills that don't get used all the time, anything between 1-2 seconds. For big finishers or ultimate skills, 2-5 seconds might be fine, depending on how often it would be used and also how much work's being put into making it graphically pleasing to look at. If you put a lot of effort in making insanely cool looking battle animations, I don't mind them taking a bit longer than average. But if all you have is RTP stuff then make it go by as fast as possible.

One thing that made Golden Sun awesome that besides having amazing looking skill animations, you could instantly skip through long animation sequences with a button click if you ever got tired of watching them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2016
  2. HeathRiley

HeathRiley Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I do think under 8 seconds is fair game. But anything higher and I better be able to use a skip function lol

I do the same thing as some one previously mentioned and get halfway through a disgaea game and turn animations off because of the time bloat they cause repeating over and over.

3. OM3GA-Z3RO

OM3GA-Z3RO Wounded Seraphim Veteran

Final Fantasy 9 did it pretty nicely, while using a new summon for the 1st time it plays a full length long animation on how the summon attacks but when you summon it again, it only plays the part when the summons attack hits the enemy but dealing less damage. Summons in Final Fantasy 9 kinda have a critical system when you think about it.

4. Mihel

Mihel Veteran Veteran

<1 second for regular attack or skills that will be used frequently

<3 seconds for more powerful skills or skills that while useful aren't going to be used every turn

<5 seconds for once in a lifetime galaxy destroying uber skills

Basically the length of the animation should be inversely proportional to the frequency of use.

Wavelength likes this.