Let's be self-reliant and self-study! :)

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Stanley, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Stanley

Stanley Nobody, Joystrike Scientist Veteran

First Language:
    Malay, Lotudian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So there's this site rite, it compiles together various links to resources you can use to self study on various topics, including computer science, law, engineering and health. :kaojoy:

Feel free to decorate this thread with your other self-study links and resources, and share what you are studying and discuss about them. :kaohi:

EDIT: Feel free, or rather pls also, to discuss about your findings and study on the links shared by me and others on this thread ya :kaohi:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  3. Stanley

First Language:
    Malay, Lotudian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @sabao thanks for these links! I've been thinking of learning Japanese myself. Would you say being a trilingual would make the learning easier? xS

4. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Depends on the languages you know of, I suppose? Koreans seem to pick up on Japanese fairly easily and vice versa. I know Filipino, English, and some Spanish and my Japanese is still pretty slow-going.

Stanley likes this.
  5. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This advice is especially true for Americans, since our education system is more concerned with political indoctrination at current than it is with educating and is intentionally training idiots by bombarding them with memorization of overly-complicated rulesets all through the system at the expense of all critical thinking skills. (Before you disagree, look up how problematic the eating of tide pods by teens and young adults has become in my society...) Teach yourselves kids, and parents take an interest, because the school system doesn't necessarily have your family's best interests at heart. (Disclaimer: This is not an attack against teachers necessarily, there are plenty of good teachers out there, but the administration is batshit nuts and exploitative by and large.)

Regardless though, we are at an era where all the information of the world is at our fingertips, if you aren't using that to broaden your horizons in some way on a daily basis you are squandering the very best that technology has to offer you.

kaukusaki and Stanley like this.
  6. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    udemy.com, but it isn't free. However, there are a plethora of topics to choose from.

7. Stanley

First Language:
    Malay, Lotudian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Feel free, or rather pls also, to discuss about your findings and study on the links shared by me and others on this thread ya :kaohi:

@sabao you're most prolly right, guess it'll depend on the structure, nature and fluency of the languages I already know.

@Philosophus Vagus Yes, informations are vastly available to us, we are way ahead than those living in the 60's.

@Poryg Haha, I stumbled upon Udemy when I was looking for Unity tutorials.

I would like to share an intellectual, tho almost vague, paragraph on Physics from an A-level-level Physics reference book that I've been reading.

"A major revolution in physics, usually referred to as modern physics, began near the end of the 19th century. Modern physics developed mainly because many physical phenomena could not be explained by classical physics. The two most important developments in this modern era were the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics. Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity completely revolutionized the traditional concepts of space, time, and energy. This theory correctly describes the motion of objects moving at speeds comparable to the speed of light. The theory of relativity also shows that the speed of light is the upper limit of the speed of an object and that mass and energy are related. Quantum mechanics was formulated by a number of distinguished scientists to provide descriptions of physical phenomenaat the atomic level." -

Excerpted from Principles of Physics: A Calculus-Based Text, page 38

kaukusaki likes this.