Let's have a discussion about Criticism!

iorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So basically what I wanted to talk about is Criticism....Specifically good vs bad Criticism and how both of them effect different developers along with how said developer should go about handling both types of Criticism to avoid harming their product or looking like a butt.

((Might need to detail this thread a little more..Should be fine though.

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
Other
A thing you must never do (and I learned it in the worst way possible) is to publicly reply a bad critique.

Even if you know that the person is saying a blatantly lie, and that s/he is doing it to screw up with you because of some personal matter.

The topic @bgillisp has show to you is the best thing you must do. Ignore bad critique and consider good ones.

If the problem is a technical one, hear what the person has to say and fix any issue ASAP. This person will appreciate it and (probably) will become another fan of your work. I always do this with the games I have published so far, and it works (in most cases).

iorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was actually planning on making this discussion more about the differences in opinions regarding what defines good criticism and bad criticism. And ask if anyone has ever lost sight of what they want their game to be because of criticism.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am always open and in fact looking for any and all criticism. My brain works in very strange ways, so I love to have a look into how other people's brains work as well.

umbralshadows

the silks angel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i try ta look for real critique but any review not completely positive's just like "this is gay" [an actual thing said bout my game with no real crit] which makes me want ta make my game actually gay an now ive decided not ta hold back an include that bit a romance that shouda been in there in tha first place [i left it out cuzz i was to shy - it's based on true events but oops i guess it was still obvious hahahh] :kaoluv:

so that's how i handled tha bad crit so far? ? which i think tha bad crit mite a been a good thing for me then. ..

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
Other
... ask if anyone has ever lost sight of what they want their game to be because of criticism.
No. The developer of the game is ME, and I do MY game whatever way I want!!! (I hope this phrase makes sense, I'm not sure how to translate it right :kaoswt: )

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just say thanks and keep it moving. Even to bad criticism.

My thing is if they hate my work that much they can study and remake it to their liking but since i went to school and built my company on my terms and created this game to my liking they can eat a brick.

But don't let them know that. Just thank them and move on. At least they played your game right? XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The end is near. The end is near. The MV era will be passed and people will look the forum about new RPG maker all days. ;_;[Election day all over again] Let accept that you will probably not what you want completely.
C&C Remastered comes out tomorrow! Hyped! Already have it preinstalled on Steam.
Its ironic, how often a person can have something smart to say, when their arrogance is originating from an internal vacuum where emotional intelligence belongs.
Parallax mapping is time consuming...
Let's purchase th... WAIT! Just in time ehehehe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreiek