jtrev23

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was wondering the same thing myself, haha.

By the way, has anyone played Remnants of Isolation? The game only has 5 votes and I never heard of it but it's pretty fantastic so far. I find it very enjoyable. Not too many battles, interesting story, some custom art. Makes me wonder how many "unknown entries" will be winning Awards. I'm sure there are a few over looked gems. Who knows, the Grand Prize winner might be one none of us has played? Maybe it was even set to Private?
You were able to get it to run? I thought the game looked nice but I got an error message on my computer when I tried to run it. Do I need to download something? For those of you who don't know me I'm the creator of the non-rpg Spirit Realm made using Game Maker 8.1, so I'm not really accustomed to the rpg-maker way of things and I know that in order to play some of the games I had to download a free trail version of that engine. Anyway, what engine did it use because even though the voting process is over I'm still playing lots of games because there are so many great games out there.

Also was anyone able to get out of the apartment for the game Move I'm Making A Movie ? I really like the graphics for that game but It seems your unable to get out of the starting room/apartment.

Ratty524

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[SIZE=12.222222328186035px]Easiest way to know you are violating TOS: When you are using a commercial engine you know you got for free.[/SIZE]
Commercial it is, then. I was just overgeneralizing a bit. :p

Silvestre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I was wondering the same thing myself, haha.

By the way, has anyone played Remnants of Isolation? The game only has 5 votes and I never heard of it but it's pretty fantastic so far. I find it very enjoyable. Not too many battles, interesting story, some custom art. Makes me wonder how many "unknown entries" will be winning Awards. I'm sure there are a few over looked gems. Who knows, the Grand Prize winner might be one none of us has played? Maybe it was even set to Private?
I gave it a try and I loved it! Also found many web comics by the artist of the game, Sooz.

nhubi

Title goes here
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
You were able to get it to run? I thought the game looked nice but I got an error message on my computer when I tried to run it. Do I need to download something? For those of you who don't know me I'm the creator of the non-rpg Spirit Realm made using Game Maker 8.1, so I'm not really accustomed to the rpg-maker way of things and I know that in order to play some of the games I had to download a free trail version of that engine. Anyway, what engine did it use because even though the voting process is over I'm still playing lots of games because there are so many great games out there.

Also was anyone able to get out of the apartment for the game Move I'm Making A Movie ? I really like the graphics for that game but It seems your unable to get out of the starting room/apartment.
You'll probably need the RTP (Run Time Package) you can get it on this site, go to the downloads tab at the very top of the nav bar and then the RTP and just grab the VXAce version, you don't need the trail version of the game. Once you've installed it any game that uses VXA should run on your system...

Cinnamon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
^

I think it's so lazy when people just throw the entire RTP in their game or make it RTP-dependable. You're not using ALL those files. Clean up a bit so it's not 250 mb for a 30 minute game. Unraveled has uncompressed, HD custom graphics and is only 110 mb. The first thing people should do when they start a new project is turn off the RTP and start manually importing files they require.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silvestre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
^

I think it's so lazy when people just throw the entire RTP in their game or make it RTP-dependable. You're not using ALL those files. Clean up a bit so it's not 250 mb for a 30 minute game. Unraveled has uncompressed, HD custom graphics and is only 110 mb. The first thing people should do when they start a new project is turn off the RTP and start manually importing files they require.
I understand where you are coming from, and GirakaCHEEZER said the same thing. However not everyone is entirely confident or experienced enough to know which files to delete. When I read the contest guidelines, I assumed they required all the RTP files to be included. It's the lazy way out, but it would be nice if there are guides about this. I confess that did not occur to me until you guys brought it up.

With my lack of experience, what I figured out was to add a non-RTP version in the RMnet site in case people already had the RTP files.

Cinnamon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
^

Ah, the comment wasn't directed at you specifically. It was just a general observation after having downloaded two dozen 250+ MB games that barely use a third of the RTP content. It's pretty easy to check if anything is missing by play-testing or simply starting the project without RTP and then importing the files you need. I understand that with the contest's time limit this may not be the easiest thing to do if you didn't start with an empty project.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
^

Ah, the comment wasn't directed at you specifically. It was just a general observation after having downloaded two dozen 250+ MB games that barely use a third of the RTP content. It's pretty easy to check if anything is missing by play-testing or simply starting the project without RTP and then importing the files you need. I understand that with the contest's time limit this may not be the easiest thing to do if you didn't start with an empty project.
This was the problem I had, lol - I couldn't risk it!

Silvestre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
^

I know, no worries. Just giving my newbie point of view of your comment. I figured trial and error would be a way to go about keeping only the necessary files, it does seem a bit risky for a beginner, heheh.

Cinnamon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Fair enough, haha. It'd be the worst to be disqualified for a missing image after cleaning up. ^^;

outcry312

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That's why I included it with RTP. I didn't have time to reduce the size :p , but there's a version without RTP at all now, so that settles that!(meaning if someone already has RTP, they can just download that)

You know, when I tried to decide what games I felt would place... I couldn't. While I liked a game or two, I can't think of where I would place them :p . I, of course, would say Unraveled deserves 100th place *cough* I mean, at least 2nd place in the RPG spot. And I'm thinking Perspective should at least place 3rd in non-RPG, if not 1st :p .

My top pick I think is Last Word.

Cinnamon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How is Last Word? I looked at the screenshots but find the faceless art style a bit unappealing. Is it like an Agatha Christie style game with lots of dialogue?

outcry312

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The faceless style works well for the type of setting it's in. The characters are identifiable by their sole black... thing on their body. Like a bowtie, or lips, or a mustache. The gameplay has you walking around and conversing, and then "battles" are pretty strategic. It's really well written, with a pretty good mystery!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ugh... 4:53AM over here and I can't sleep so why not just game make.
I just love the MV feature that allows you to create your own animations!
I typically ask this on my normal social media channels, but figured there may be good replies here. Anyone got any good horror movie recommendations? I've seen a lot, but I always love getting suggestions! Bonus points if you know which service it is streaming on (in the US) - bring on the spOoooOky!
 After a few distractions (and my annual rough second week of October), I’m getting back on track with my OMGC project.
 Am I overcomplicating it? Yes. Am I going to tone it down? Almost certainly not.
 At least the dialogue stuff is almost done. I need to do the map itself, and then all that’s left is combat.
 Getting there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nspace