Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dr.Yami, what you think about this? You are highly talented based on your amazing plugins. Do care or not about the topic? Or just wait and see? Thank you for responding to us. Just would like to know what you think about this, not a coder myself lol. :kaoluv:

Many people who are senior coders do not care that much because they just ported MV to MZ and done this matter.

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Dr.Yami, what you think about this? You are highly talented based on your amazing plugins. Do care or not about the topic? Or just wait and see? Thank you for responding to us. Just would like to know what you think about this, not a coder myself lol. :kaoluv:

Many people who are senior coders do not care that much because they just ported MV to MZ and done this matter.
I would avoid a direct mention because that's kind of rude when 1. they haven't replied, 2. no direct relation.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Anyways,
The whole conspiracy is a little far fetched but yeah it sucks we not forced to support.

Also from an official tweet they did say : we will not provide any patch compatibility support for third party plugins.
So pretty much if a compatibility have to be dome its by us solo creator.

Anyway i guess its their choices

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
while I can see it being necessary in some extreme cases, in 5 years working with MV I've never needed to copy any piece of code to make a compatibility patch...
Really? I'm going to make a really rough but simple example of something I saw a lot in plugins and core code:

Code:
someMethod(params) {
    let someVar = someParserMethod(params.something);
    if (someVar == "whatever") {
        doOneThing(params);
    }
    else {
        let someOtherVar = someOtherParserMethod(param.example);
        doAnotherThing(someOtherVar);
    }
}
Now say you want to add an "else if" clause here and retain the other functionality. What do you do?

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Also from an official tweet they did say : we will not provide any patch compatibility support for third party plugins. So pretty much if a compatibility have to be dome its by us solo creator.
This is understandable. Personally I would not make a compatibility patch to some plugins I don't like. Heck, even Mog don't even create compatibility patches to various plugins, and they're doing fine.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Really? I'm going to make a really rough but simple example of something I saw a lot in plugins and core code:

Code:
someMethod(params) {
    let someVar = someParserMethod(params.something);
    if (someVar == "whatever") {
        doOneThing(params);
    }
    else {
        let someOtherVar = someOtherParserMethod(param.example);
        doAnotherThing(someOtherVar);
    }
}
Now say you want to add an "else if" clause here and retain the other functionality. What do you do?
you can alias the method, check for your condition and call the old method if it's not what you wanted to handle...

in fact, this is a perfect example of where you should NOT copy the code, because you'll just be opening it up to more incompatibilities. You would need to update your patch every time the base plugin changed that part of the code.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
because you'll just be opening it up to more incompatibilities.
Not when the plugin is directly placed below the target plugin that is basically change the behavior of it before anything else.

You would need to update your patch every time the base plugin changed that part of the code.
This is expected, but that depends on how crucial that part is.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not when the plugin is directly placed below the target plugin that is basically change the behavior of it before anything else.
Unless someone else did a patch the same way and then they would need a separate patch to be compatible with your patch as well.

This is expected...
But it doesn't have to be.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Unless someone else did a patch the same way and then they would need a separate patch to be compatible with your patch as well.
This is true when you share the patch for public use, however, most of the cases (my cases) patch are custom made by very specific requirements. The user posted a request in plugin support (or DM/chat) that X and Y are not compatible. Patch made specifically for them in their case. Overwrite is inevitable, the patch was made, the user was happy with the result.

But it doesn't have to be.
Good when you can avoid it though.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would avoid a direct mention because that's kind of rude when 1. they haven't replied, 2. no direct relation.
ok, I do stop direct questions then. You are an adult more than me lol.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I’m obviously not a coder, but if I were, I would be concerned about submitting something, having it denied, and having them turn around and add it themselves.
fortunately, they can't do that without suffering severe backlash from the community so I wouldn't consider this section.
especially it'S a Legal hole that can be very costly for both side

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There would certainly be nothing stopping them from paying their coders to rewrite the core features that your submitted plugin/patch added. Also nothing to stop them from deciding that your code was not up to par with their standards for whatever reason and that it *had* to be rewritten.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
First of all, please read this clause carefully:

If a compatibility patch needs to be made through a third party that is unaffiliated with VisuStella that involves using code from the VisuStella MZ library, contact must be made with a member from VisuStella and have it approved.
If you use a part of the code and made a plugin adjustment, then ask for our permission. That's it. If you didn't copy paste any part of the plugin to make a compatibility, we're not going to force you to ask for our permission.

If you copy an entire function, "made a compatibility patch" and then sold it in a storefront or whatever. Or literally making a living out of someone else's code that is not under MIT or Open Source, we're not OK with that.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's what I understood from the tweet after they answered/ general explanation from the thread.

Driftwood Gaming

For just $1 a day you can prevent forest fires...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I thought most people already knew this.

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
First of all, please read this clause carefully:

If you use a part of the code and made a plugin adjustment, then ask for our permission. That's it. If you didn't copy paste any part of the plugin to make a compatibility, we're not going to force you to ask for our permission.

If you copy an entire function, "made a compatibility patch" and then sold it in a storefront or whatever. Or literally making a living out of someone else's code that is not under MIT or Open Source, we're not OK with that.
In said clause it doesn't state selling it as the limiter. So could you clarify the following scenario:

To make a compatibility patch for a function where one needs to extend functionality within the function itself, and where simply "aliasing" (or extending it) isn't sufficient to maintain functionality, thus having to copy the function but make changes to it. Does this count as "copying the code"? And does one need permission even if the patch is completely non-commercial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I present... MAGIC (in progress)

No vaccine till at least spring 2021. Have not seen our parents since Dec 2019. But at least we can phone each other. How is everyone else's situation?
:( ... sigh, having trouble knowing where to draw highlights. Novice pixel artist issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KUTSHKY