cayenne_spicy

Just Chili'in' Out
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wait, I mean, let's make content that enables a Steal command!

I'm not super great at JavaScript, so I'm mostly nosing around to see if anybody might be working on something like that. Or, if nobody is, if anybody wants to do it? Is it complicated? I have no idea. I just know it's a pretty normal JRPG game function. I'm surprised it's not in the VisuStella plugins, but I couldn't find it.

EDIT: Since this got moved, and the destination forum isn't RMMZ specific, I'm noting that this is a request for RMMZ in particular.

Last edited:

KrimsonKatt

Pyromancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BloodletterQ He's not asking to "steal content." He's making a joke. What he really wants is a steal command, like, with thrives and the like which was a MV plugin by Yanfly. I don't have MZ, but if if the plugin doesn't already exist or was implimented into a different plugin I'm sure it will be added soon since it was a MV plugin by Yanfly and Yanfly says he's porting everything over.

Edit: Also, Chaotic Neutral? Like bruh. The only people I know who play chaotic neutral in DND are a-holes who want to play a murder-hobo villian but can't due to the GM's rules against evil characters (which is a pretty common rule) so they just SAY that they're "chaotic neutral" when really the act like their Chaotic Evil instead as a loophole. For me, I always play Chaotic Good characters. It just works better.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@cayenne_spicy, I just wait for people to make that. I think it might take time. You do not want my wishing lists of MZ plugins lol. I am waiting because it is taking to testing and coding.

I think I see the separate coding for MV which plugins you are referring to steal from the enemies or enemies steal from an actor.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wait, I mean, let's make content that enables a Steal command!

I'm not super great at JavaScript, so I'm mostly nosing around to see if anybody might be working on something like that. Or, if nobody is, if anybody wants to do it? Is it complicated? I have no idea. I just know it's a pretty normal JRPG game function. I'm surprised it's not in the VisuStella plugins, but I couldn't find it.

EDIT: Since this got moved, and the destination forum isn't RMMZ specific, I'm noting that this is a request for RMMZ in particular.
WIP...
it's getting there...

Playable demo (v0.30): https://ct-bolt.itch.io/rmmz-steal-plugin

1598074885488.png

thoughts?

...was honestly quite the challenge... don't usually mess with the battle system personally too much.

cayenne_spicy

Just Chili'in' Out
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That's looking awesome so far! How does the command know what item to steal and how hard it is to do so? Does it operate off of the drop table or a separate loot table for the enemy?

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That's looking awesome so far!
Awww thanks it's getting there. Not bad for a few hours work though...
How does the command know what item to steal and how hard it is to do so?
It picks random from the loot list of the enemy... it's a pretty unique formula at the moment honestly... basically you can only steal 3 times max per enemy and the more you steal the harder it is to steal from that particular enemy (with a slight variance to reset if your really lucky).

Does it operate off of the drop table or a separate loot table for the enemy?
Right now it's the drop table. Was thinking about making it separate though.
Still might.

Oh and if the steal option is there is determined by a notetag for the Actor or the Actors Class:
1598075728280.png

The steal skill uses a base skill to go from (never to actually be assigned to any actor though, hope that makes sense)...
1598075823896.png

Well anyways... time for bed now lol... I'll be back at this fresh soon hopefully. :cutesmile:[/spoiler]

cayenne_spicy

Just Chili'in' Out
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think it does make sense! A few hours?! I sure appreciate the devotion to the task! I hope it's been an enjoyable challenge, at least. :)

I don't know how hard a separate loot table would be to implement for it, but for flexibility's sake it might be a good idea, if it's not an enormous hassle - just because it opens up possibilities for the end-users (whom I assume will be more than only me) who may want the potential stolen item(s) to be different from the dropped ones.

For example, for an enemy that's a wolf, the user might want a drop of a Wolf Pelt item to be a possibility, but it wouldn't make much sense to be able to steal that... lol

Swinging that the other way, someone may find it interesting to use to make an undead character who can steal an item called Life Force from enemies (obviously for common sense's sake they'd want to have an undead or construct enemy not have any to steal), but not have that item on the drop table, since... well, the enemy is dead by the time you'd be looting it.

Just musing ideas! :D

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think it does make sense! A few hours?! I sure appreciate the devotion to the task! I hope it's been an enjoyable challenge, at least. :)

I don't know how hard a separate loot table would be to implement for it, but for flexibility's sake it might be a good idea, if it's not an enormous hassle - just because it opens up possibilities for the end-users (whom I assume will be more than only me) who may want the potential stolen item(s) to be different from the dropped ones.

For example, for an enemy that's a wolf, the user might want a drop of a Wolf Pelt item to be a possibility, but it wouldn't make much sense to be able to steal that... lol

Swinging that the other way, someone may find it interesting to use to make an undead character who can steal an item called Life Force from enemies (obviously for common sense's sake they'd want to have an undead or construct enemy not have any to steal), but not have that item on the drop table, since... well, the enemy is dead by the time you'd be looting it.

Just musing ideas! :D
Hmm yes oh I'm just enjoying crafting something unique for MZ, and checking out how the code works. So it's not been bad, it's enjoyable & I'll definitely end up using it myself too ;)

About the drop items... i think you're absolutely right, I think I'll make it an optional notetag/plugin parameter default setting to select what items can be stolen.

Got the core done so that's a huge first step. Now it's gonna be tweaking the rest and making it a flexible as it can be :popcorn:

If not too consumed with other projects I should have an official release real soon. :cutesmile:

cayenne_spicy

Just Chili'in' Out
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yay!

I'll get you a Steam card or something so you can snag some DLC when it starts rolling out! It'd be the least I could do for how fast you jumped on this.

cayenne_spicy

Just Chili'in' Out
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hiiii @ct_bolt - I hope you had a rad weekend! Have you had time to poke at this any further? :3

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hiiii @ct_bolt - I hope you had a rad weekend! Have you had time to poke at this any further? :3
Yep, sure did :cutesmile:
It's basically done really. Allows user to control many aspects of it with evaluated javascript that is processed "on the fly".

See project demo files for more details how to use.
(...lazy at the moment... I'm sure you'll have plenty of questions lol)

Anyways without further ado... v0.70 now "released" (aka. downloadable ;) )
Example A:

Example B:

Well looks like I will be starting an actual dev. release thread soon... but in the meantime, let me know how it goes... hope it's at least somewhat understandable. :popcorn:

Last edited:

cayenne_spicy

Just Chili'in' Out
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Aaaaa so much stuff! You did a lot! :D

Digesting a bit for what you have so far (to see if I understand):

In the Notetag images for the enemies, it looks as if the example Gnome is set up to have five different items to steal, with no specific quantity of each that could be stolen as a maximum and no specific rarity % for them? And then for the example Goblin, it looks like it's two items selected with some random variation as to which ones the enemy has, but you can only steal one item total?

And it looks like in the Plugin Manager settings, it's set up with two ranges... does it switch to the Repeat formula after the first attempt period, or after the first successful item is stolen?

Some questions, too - fun stuff comes to mind:

1. I saw in your notes that you were thinking about a success formula that compares the thief's speed with the enemy's - that could be cool! It's probably something the user could edit in the Steal Odds formula themselves if they were savvy with the variables needed, as-is, though dummyproof options are always welcome too! lol

2. is the Notetag system you set up for it able to be set up to have a maximum stealable quantity by item (for example, 2 Potions, and 1 Hi-Potion, and then the enemy is empty)?

3. Is the Notetag system you set up able to affect the steal success by item (maybe the Potion uses the base formula, but the Hi-Potion is formula*.25 or something, making it comparably harder to successfully steal - so that a user could set up stuff like a "common" steal and then a "rare" steal, or something like that)?

4. Is it possible to raise (or lower) steal rate specific to, say, an item, or a class, a skill, etc, like how one can do using an ex-parameter for Critical Rate and other percentages? This could be really cool for basic stuff like a Thief Ring accessory, a skill that temporarily buffs steal success, or complex setups such as, like... incorporating penalties into armor that's intended to be cumbersome, which would be strategically interesting if the game designer had a flexible skill or equipment system so that the player of their game could make tactical choices (do I want to take less damage, but worsen my rates for things like stealing, evading, etc.).

5. The answer already looks like it's probably yes, but, worth asking anyway - can the Steal skill itself have other effects attached, perhaps enabling a "Mug" type skill which causes damage as well as attempting to steal?

So many ideas come to mind! :D I'm sorry if it's a bit overwhelming.

cayenne_spicy

Just Chili'in' Out
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello again, @ct_bolt - hero of thievery!

Just checking in with you on how this is going. :3 This week ended up a bit hectic on my end with other things so I didn't have a chance to dive into it yet myself but I'm intending to this weekend. I thought I'd see if you had contemplated my questions a bit before I take the plunge. :D

I did set some money aside as promised for a Steam card, though since I can do a payment via itch.io if you'd prefer I just do that, I can do that. Whichever you like, it'll be heading your way once the plugin is finished. You've worked so hard on it! I'm very impressed.

rollerbelchen

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the plugin! :3
I'm really glad to see that kind of stuff right after launch and I'm so happy for my thiefing main character to get back his unique ability!

But also got a few things for improvment:

1. I needed to change the battle log line for sucessful steal directly in your code. My game is in German so english lines are okay when I'm making stuff but something like this I wanted to change asap because I'm a bit of a scatterbrain and simply will forget it XD The lines for 'unable to steal' and 'has nothing to steal' are changeable through the plugin parameters. Could you add the other line too?

2. Also battle log line is there for like 2 seconds? Maybe expaned the time for a short term or do it as well with a plugin param?

Lastly and not so much important but maybe for the future:
The notetags are a bit ... confusing if you don't know what to do exactly - took me 10 minutes to figure out how to set up my slime-filler-enemy with one item XD
Maybe it's possible to get some simpler notetags like <Steal item: ID, count>. Something like that? Or just clarify what to do and give examples in the help section of the plugin.
I know it's in the demo file - just a suggestion for the full release.

Keep up you awesome work and one more time thanks for that glorious plugin. I love it! <3

cayenne_spicy

Just Chili'in' Out
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I hope you're doing okay over there, everyone's favorite Bolt from Connecticut! (I don't know if that's what @ct_bolt means, lol)

Maliki79

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Fyi as far as I've seen, YF's snatch and steal works just fine in MZ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

We're almost done with the jam game! :D
I get scam calls all the time so today I gave them a piece of my mind. They hung up on me. Sweet revenge.
There’s a beehive in my wall
Just finished my midterms! Freedom! Alright, back to gamedev!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zaaaa