Let's talk about the MCU!

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Nutty171, Jul 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nutty171

Nutty171 Adept at ineptitude Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This post contains spoilers for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Avengers: Age of Ultron. You have been warned.

I really REALLY love the Guardians series. Guardians 2 is arguably the best movie sequel I've ever seen. Why? It feels like a new story, a new movie, and it doesn't rely on the first movie. You don't even need to see the first film to understand what's going on. Most movies and sequels spend the first movie assembling the "dream team," and then the second one makes no modifications to that team. This is not the case in the Guardians series. The character arc continues, and the team of guardians is constantly evolving. The team spends little time all in one place, except for in the beginning and the end. It's that style of continuing the story and characters that makes Guardians 2 great.

Now let's take a look at the Avengers films. Everybody who is introduced in one movie dies in that one movie. Nobody survives the end of a movie without surviving the rest of the series. I don't really like the Avengers series that much, mainly for this reason. The films are all separate, each one adding a new Avenger or two, but never taking any away. At the end of Age of Ultron, the Avengers parted ways for the most part, but that doesn't really satisfy.

So we have the the Guardians and the Avengers universes coming together in the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War. My greatest fear is that Infinity War won't strike a good balance between the two distinct styles of the MCU. It disappoints me that, as it is titled Avengers, it will probably lean more toward the Avengers style, which I personally don't prefer. Thus, in my eyes, it will in a way tarnish the name of the Guardians series, which is the last thing I want to happen.

TL;DR: I hope Avengers: Infinity War is more like the Guardians series than the Avengers series.

2. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I have it easy, I like mostly everything of Marvel. :kaojoy:
    Dont fear, I think Avengers Infinity War will be a great movie with both casts.

3. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Are we talking about the MCU as a whole? For the most part it's been ok, but the formula has become a more blatant issue now and they should try to change it up for long term reasons. For the most part the movies aren't bad, but I'm not going to say they're great or memorable.

4. evmaster

evmaster Think Outside the Box Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I came in to find out what MCU is. I know my information is probably unwanted but...for any conversation, even game making writers always need to use the actual words at least once and then abbreviate. My guess is MCU means Marvel Comics University.

I think I'm just getting tired tonight. ;_;

5. Nutty171

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Lornsteyn Well, I'm not too worried, as I trust Marvel is doing their best to make this the best movie yet. Just the many many ways it could fail scares me. >.<

@Uzuki This thread is basically a thread for the MCU as a whole, I just didn't really have anything to say about the rest of it in my first post. :p

@evmaster Sorry about that. MCU stands for Marvel Cinematic Universe. :p

evmaster likes this.
  6. robhr

robhr come on die young Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly, I find most of them a little bland. So much saturation of marvel films, all seem a little half assed, like they're just trying to put out as many as they can as fast as they can.

But the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and Deadpool are quality films. Oh and Logan was excellent.

Also I love Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man. But I just love Robert Downey Jr. in general.

Nutty171 likes this.
  7. Nutty171

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @robhr "Bad guy is super powerful and is starting to kill people and has a sad excuse for motivation, while a new random guy gets a new superpower and joins the Avengers, and Tony does something dumb and counterproductive." That's every Avengers movie I've seen. I'm curious though how they will handle Chris Pratt playing two different characters in the same film. (Star-Lord and Ant-Man)

robhr likes this.