Lets Talk CPU Core Temp!

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by KaBlooZio, Feb 22, 2019.

1. KaBlooZio

KaBlooZio The Blue Magi Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So, Im trying to be a bit more conscious of the temperature of the CPU in my kinda new Laptop, so I downloaded a program called CoreTemp. Its helped a little bit, but now Im a little confused.

upload_2019-2-22_4-0-21.png

This is the read it was giving me as I opened desktop snipping tool... now its back to below 40 for all cores and below 5% load, anyway....

Max Tj Max seems to fluctuate... actually it all seems to fluctuate every time I boot it up. Usually when Im playing a game like DS3 on low specs it has me at slightly above 94 Celsius for max Tj Max, and reaches about 80 Celsius at the highest Ive seen on most of the cores.... it does get hot to the touch, not like *OUCH* or *turn up the air conditioning* hot, but its still a little troubling... that said, I havent really had any issues with my computer, and Ive had it since October last year and have been playing DS3 on it since. Anyway, the website I downloaded this from assures its quite accurate, but Im a little skeptical.

Would any of you who reading, knowlegeable about this, mind trying to explain about this? Is having Tj Max 94 c and reaching sometimes above 70 c bad ?

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    AFAIK newer models go up to about 100-110 when overclocked BUT generally speaking if you want it to last long, you would prefer to keep it (the current/actual temp) below 80 most of the time..

Plus with laptop internals being compact and very close to one another, even if the high temperature is fine for your CPU, it might cause problems with the other parts because of heat dissipation.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  3. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Intel CPUs have their standard operating temperature between 50 and 70°C. Pushing it on 80°C should still be sustainable, but will have a negative impact on CPU's life expentancy (although usually before your CPU fails, something else is domed to fail first, so there's no need to worry about it). And temperatures above 85°C if sustained for long time are detrimental.
    When the temperatures reach tj max, the cpu starts to throttle its clock speed to cool itself down. And the fact that it fluctuates between 90 and 100°C is also absolutely alright, because modern CPUs automatically adjust their clock speeds if needed. For example my AMD CPU will, if needed, clock the first three cores from 3.6 GHz to 4.2 GHz. Of course higher clock speed means more power consumption and consequently faster heating to greater temperatures, so the CPU sets its max Tj lower in order to have a clear sign that "Ok, I have set the CPU speed higher for a bit, now it's time to slow it down to normal clock speed".

Tj being at 94°C is completely normal, no need to worry. And temps at above 70°C are also okay. As mentioned, they might not be as healthy for your other components in case you have a tight fit with no breathing room, but other than that there is no problem with this kind of cpu temperature.

It would be however if you were using an AMD CPU instead, because an AMD CPU has its operating temperatures 20°C lower than Intel. So for me 70°C CPU temperatures would be quite alarming, but for an intel user they are okay.

4. KaBlooZio

KaBlooZio The Blue Magi Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Poryg , @Engr. Adiktuzmiko - Okay thank you, that helps alot! Im not entirely sure, as I cannot open up my laptop without voiding the warranty, but I really dont think it has alot of space inside. Like I can tell right where the processor is from the heat (...slightly right, from the middle, or not quite center), even when its not running very hard o_O . One time I was trying to play the Java version of Minecraft on it and I felt the heat coming up through the WASD keys....Eek! With most other games it dosent usually get that hot though, but I also do my homework on this machine, so just trying to be careful. Thinking about getting a new GPU for my desktop, and confining my gaming to that. Anyway, thanks again :) .