Lets talk Zelda

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by BlueFlamePrince, May 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DewottKid

DewottKid Pyromancer Veteran

Neo Arcadia, Nabes Desert, Kingdom of Nogarde
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If I lived in hyrule, I would like to be a Zora since I love the ocean and swimming is fun! Also I believe that any race can become a Sheikah though a special ritual, as it is said that the only thing separating the appearance of non Sheikah and Sheikah is their red eyes. Impa and other "Sheikah" in Breath of the Wild are not Sheikah, and are most likely people who wish to keep the spirit and culture of the Sheikah alive. Breath of the Wild does not exist in the downfall timeline, as it exists in a merged timeline as shown in Hyrule Encyclopedia. (Hyrule Historia 2) The reason the timelines merged is also unknown, but may be linked to ancient sheikah technology or the birth of calamity ganon. Also Zelda saying in the final battle of BotW "Ganon has given up on reincarnation and assumed his true enraged form." is actually a mistranslation, as she said the exact opposite in the original japanese script. The master sword is hidden in the lost woods in all games except Ocarina of Time, chronologically it's first appearance, (other than Skyward Sword) so it was likely moved after the events of OoT. BotW is a good game, but has many flaws that many people tend to overlook. Namely it's story and dungeons. (shrines included) My favorite Zelda game is BotW (I've logged over 700 hours between my two Wii U playthroughs and my three Switch playthroughs plus DLC.) my second favorite is Link Between Worlds on 3DS, and my third favorite is Majora's Mask. My least favorite is Zelda 1, and then Skyward Sword. I actually really like Zelda II, and am really hoping for a remake. That would probably be my fourth favorite. Then after that would be Link to the Past, then Link's Awakening, then Minish Cap, then Oracle Games, then Ocarina of Time, then Zelda I. I haven't played Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Triforce Heroes, Four Swords, or Four Sword Adventures. Out of the spinoffs I've only played the three versions of Hyrule Warriors, and have beaten only Majora's Mask, (95%) Link Between Worlds, (100%) and Breath of the Wild (100% base game no korok seeds) I agree with @Pine Towers about his theory with Bongo Bongo as it makes sense within the lore of OoT. I sorta treat BotW as a "soft reboot" of the franchise like what they did with God of War. I hope I added something meaningful to this conversation with my long essay of a post. Bye!

2. Kisai

Kisai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I live in a desert now, so you might think Gerudo would apply to me, but I absolutely hate the desert. ;_; I never asked to come here. I miss my old home of Michigan, home of the great lakes, and it actually had grass, and trees! I miss stuff like that. I suppose a Zora would be fitting, given the giant bodies of water I'd be near, but I also love grass, trees, forests, which is something you almost never properly see in a desert, so maybe I'd be a Kokiri instead. It's hard to choose. It'd be kinda neat having a tree house, and fairies are my favorite fantasy creature. Having one as a companion would be pretty cool. But as a Zora, I could have a ton of swimming area in one of the great lakes, it would be wonderful. Sumnmers would be great, but Winters, I'm not too sure. I saw what happened to Zora's Domain in Ocarina of Time... Maybe I'll stick with being a Kokiri.

The very first Zelda had a ton of open-world exploration. You could explore half the map before getting the ladder. Because of this, I feel open-world exploration is fundamental to a Zelda game, and from what I hear, we already got tons of that back in Breath of The Wild. I heard the dungeons were lacking though. Would it be too much to have a huge, open-world Hyrule to explore, with 8-9 complete dungeons, that could be tackled in almost any order? In the original Zelda, you actually could do a lot of the dungeons out of order, which is another option I'd like back.

Also, I'd like to not see the Master Sword, believe it or not. 7-8 year old me is still taking Link to The Past's ending tag to heart about the Master Sword. I was fine seeing it return in Ocarina of Time for nostalgia's sake, but I'd honestly like to see a game that DOESN'T make it the sole focus. The original Legend of Zelda was just about a skilled adventurer with sword in hand, travelling the land and saving the world from evil. Almost every game since Link to The Past has been "There's Something About The Master Sword". I was pretty delighted with Skyward Sword NOT featuring the Master Sword, until I learned that's what the game was going for the whole time anyway. ¬_¬

BlueFlamePrince likes this.
  3. newfarap

newfarap Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    ive beaten every zelda game except skyward sword and the 2nd one on nes. very good games

4. Seacliff

Seacliff Self Proclaimed Professional Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    The execution of the Four Sword in Minish Cap was refreshing for me and introduced a cool mechanic not possible with the Master Sword, so I'm fine if there are different legendary swords even if they follow similar tropes.

But it would also be cool if we simply had fewer mcguffins in general, so I would definitely like to see more games with less focus on finding a sword of evil's bane. The Gilded Sword in Majora's Mask was cool because it wasn't legendary, so you have to stumble on the questline for creating it.

5. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I kinda wish Nintendo would try their hand at a sea-based exploration game again akin to wind waker. I was replaying that game, and while I remember enjoying exploring the islands and looking for treasure the islands themselves are most often that not really badly designed. Some are just rocks in the water housing a treaure or some enemy to vanquish. This also goes for the sky-exploration in Skyward Sword. The exploration-on-land aspect was tried in Twilight Princess, failed somewhat, and was perfected in Breath of the Wild. I kind of wish Nintendo would try the sea-based exploration again and make it better, perhaps in a submarine that can convert into a regular boat?

BlueFlamePrince likes this.
  6. BlueFlamePrince

BlueFlamePrince Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey everyone its been a while but I'm back. I've been replaying Link to the Past and Wind Waker but they are randomizers.
    Ganon has made a wish on the triforce and randomized all items in Hyrule to slow Link down. So besides that the newish Zelda
    game has been announced and its Link Awakening for the Switch. The first handheld Zelda game has returned. So what do you
    guys think about it?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  7. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    It (Link's awakening) was the first and only Zelda game I ever played actually, not really a Zelda fan but I'm still kinda excited that its going to have a remake on the switch

8. BlueFlamePrince

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Kisai Maybe Lake Floria could work. Its a lake where the Parella and Water Dragon lives in Skyward Sword.
    The parella are the ancestors to the Zoras. The lake is also part of Faron woods / lost woods. In Zelda BOTW
    Faron woods and the lost woods are two different places. Also Faron woods is more or less a rain forest in that game.

Now when it comes to swords, it world be nice to see Link try a new one. Yet imagine if Link had a katana, a claymore,
    a saber, or a buster sword. Thanks to Zelda BOTW we can see some but not all. I think it would be ok if we had a change
    every once in a while even if its not the main sword.

9. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Breath of the Wild is probably my favorite Zelda game, as it returned very heavily to what the original Zelda was about "wandering around and wandering into stuff" (I'm not actually a huge fan of the series)

That said, it still has some major major flaws. (There is a reason I haven't beaten it yet). Most of which are that it entered itself into a very crowded field (the open world action game), without seeming to learn enough from the rest of the field. Like it has the climbing towers thing to reveal the map stuff, but it does it in the most boring and uninteresting way. It is literally imo the worst incarnation of that mechanic.

Compared to climbing the tall necks from Horizon: Zero Dawn (which I consider the pinnacle of the genre), in which there were 1. Less of them, and 2. They were more interesting to climb, as it was more about navigating to figure out how to get on them than climbing them. and 3. There was VARIETY in them. Some the issue was enemies, some the issue was just the location.

In Breath of the Wild that wasn't the case, it was just a boring, slow climb, and there were a lot of them.

Also BotW went so free roam that it forgot to actually tell a story. Something Horizon: Zero Dawn did really, really well.

Almost all the problems with BotW is that a better game in the same genre came out in the same year.

10. BlueFlamePrince

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm going to make this short but i'm wanting to do more zelda projects and i'm looking for help. Art, animation, videos, and other projects.
    If you have any questions send me a message where we don't fill this thread up with random posts. : ) I'm also looking for ways to grow
    this group.

11. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have played most of the LoZ games and absolutely loved every single one of them. I have yet to play BotW or Skyward Sword yet.
    I have had the unfortunate 'pleasure' to play the three Zelda games that were not considered canonical: Zelda's Adventure, The Wand of Gamelon, and The Faces of Evil. These three games are extremely cringe worthy <_<

12. BlueFlamePrince

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @NinjaKittyProductions I own The Wand of Gamelon and when it comes to Zelda lore I've been working on a few projects
    but its just me so its going slow. Besides that I've been playing a few Randomizers too.

13. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BlueFlamePrince I have an old zelda fan game project that I worked on back with vx ace. I didn't get very far on it however. Used a lot of placeholder tilesets and sprites... mainly worked on the databasing and storyboarding >_<

14. Gallimed

Gallimed Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love the Oracles games for their password system and completion of each others. Seasons was comfy while Ages felt better when it came to characters. I also wish they'd do a proper 3D game that features motion controls without all the handholding like they did for Skyward Sword.