Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey guys,

So after playing through one of my favorite games recently (Lufia 2), I was thinking about putting letter sounds in my game. That is, sounds that play as text is displayed in a message window. 

My game will have a retro aesthetic, so keeping the retro feel is important to me. I personally loved the idea of the letter sounds. To me, it helped create personality while allowing me to imagine the physical size of a character. A lower pitch was usually used for physically imposing or evil characters, whereas a higher pitch would be common for women or children. Shining Force 2 used this as well (another one of my favorites).

My question to you all is... Is it annoying? Assuming it's used in the right way, I think it's a neat feature. Just looking for feedback.

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As long as there's an option to turn it on or off and it's not too loud I say go for it.

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Lufia 2 is one of my favourite games, too :D

I have played games where I remember the noise being annoying and others where it didn't seem to bother me. I agree that a setting to turn it on/off is a good idea if you do it.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Do it, but try to be crafty with its usage doing things like turning it off in a moment of great suspense at the same time as the background music or something like that.

LightningLord2

Psionic Bird Thrower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Undertale makes use of letter sounds for various purposes - mostly for foreshadowing events and to show Flowey's two-faced character.

mauvebutterfly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I disagree that this should be an option for the player to select. If the game is designed with text sounds, then have that just be a part of the experience. If you can't implement it in a way that isn't annoying, don't implement it at all.

Having some choices in the menu can be nice for the player, but too many choices ends up being a lot of work for the developer while increasing the chance of bugs. For something small like this, I think implementing a choice is wasted effort, particularly since it would go against the feeling of your game as you initially stated.

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Depends on the personality and design of the game.

There are plenty of instances where a text sound will help a game. For people who would want to do Lets Plays with voice-overs, it can direct them to what voice to use if you put in that extra effort.

If the game relies on dialogue for a lot of tension building and dissipation, you can benefit from Text-Sound.

But if there's a lot of frivolous dialogue in your game, you are better off forgoing the Text-Sound.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Undertale makes use of letter sounds for various purposes - mostly for foreshadowing events and to show Flowey's two-faced character.

That's what I meant. Only without mentioning Undertale.
The Fallen Child does not make a sound when talking, and neither does sans when he gets serious.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I disagree that this should be an option for the player to select. If the game is designed with text sounds, then have that just be a part of the experience. If you can't implement it in a way that isn't annoying, don't implement it at all.

Having some choices in the menu can be nice for the player, but too many choices ends up being a lot of work for the developer while increasing the chance of bugs. For something small like this, I think implementing a choice is wasted effort, particularly since it would go against the feeling of your game as you initially stated.

This is why I was so torn between "option/no option". When it comes to the game's overall experience and feel, I think an option should only be present as a way to kind of "tone things down." Like Random Encounters for example... They're a necessary part of the game and can't be avoided completely, but people enjoy having the option to turn them off from time to time. That doesn't really work for letter sounds. 

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I find these constant sounds to be extremely annoying, and while it's not a complete dealbreaker for me, it significantly hurts my enjoyment of a game..

I agree with Uzuki that if you do use it, there should be an option to turn it off.

kamui82

Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This thread grabbed my attention since I was just reflecting on this very thing the other day while replaying Lufia 2!  I was noticing for the first time that the tone of the sounds changed depending on the character.  Somehow this hadn't struck me before (which is strange since I'm a musician).  

I definitely think it adds a certain quality to the game because it fits the aesthetic.  The dialogue is more sparse (using the speech balloons vs boxes) and emotions seem to be conveyed more heavily through the movement of the characters (just consider the intro and how much is conveyed with the movement of Tia and Maxim's sprites!).  I say if it fits the aesthetic (with a retro game it certainly could), adds charm to the game, and contributes something meaningful to the portrayal of the characters, then use it. Personally, though, I could see it starting to get grating if there were large chunks of dialogue, so it might depend upon how heavily you are relying on text in the game.  Just my two cents!  

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

E7DsT3VXsAInVpu

working on my avatar, because i couldn't stand looking at it anymore :D
still not finished though...
alpacaraptors = love!
''Finds icons that fits the game you're making'' Only covers 20% of what you need :p
I'm very manic-y right now. I didn't sleep and I wanted to get a bunch of stuff done, but didn't get anything done except the bare bones concept for a POSSIBLE game.
And I can't sleep now because I'm probably gonna be hanging out with my brother and I gotta discuss a bunch of BroCoG (our game group) junk with him plus it's far to late to sleep NOW.
poppetQuestBarryApproaches.jpg
While I wait for judging, I decided to start adding more "friends" to my attic. :LZSgrin:

I swear I need a whole sound pack of menacing squeaky toy noises. :kaoswt:
I can't believe I actually managed to stay motivated for the whole Game Jam duration (1 month!), definitely will be taking a break after this :0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnelson83