Letting player choose after right answer?

Fufi_Saintz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Other
Hi everybody, hope everything's fine.

So I am a teacher and I am using my summer vacations to make this game to help my students practice foreign languages, an RPG based on the idea that during fights the player has to answer some questions in order to have the possibility to hit the enemy (otherwise will be hit, quite obviously).
I am using @biud436 text input plugin (many, many thanks) during battles, storing the answer in a variable and setting a conditional branch to manage what happens depending on the right/wrong answer given by the player.
The point is that in case of right answer I only have been able to use the force command to make the player's character perform a pre-decided attack, while it would be nicer to give the player the opportunity to choose what to do (attack, magic, object... like in a normal fight). Obvoiusly same thing for the enemy.
I have tried many (stupid, useless and extremely complicate) things to get what I want, but unfortunately I still haven't find a solution, and I'm out of ideas.
Do you have any suggestions, please?
Many thanks in advice!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could try adding a state to the party that makes them unable to act, and then in the conditional branch checking the answer remove that state if they get the answer right. That would then let them act normally in battle.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can use Yanfly's auto states will do what you want-ish: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Auto_Passive_States_(YEP)

Basically have a state attached to all actors that player use that will either make all abilities have 100% hit rate or miss rate with the <Passive Condition: Switch x ON>. So, basically, when you answer the question, you turn the switch on, turning on the state that forces a miss (or zero damage). Which means your player will always be able to choose an ability, but depending on whether or not they get the answer to the question you pose right, that ability may just fizzle because of the state.

Or you could have the state stun them like @Trihan says.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this does not answer your question exactly, but i just released an educational game engine plugin. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/mvquizzer-educational-game-engine.124179/

you can call the plugin in battle for multiple choice / true-false questions (just not short answer). it does not affect your actions, but it can do many other things that would be important in a battle (add or remove states, HP, MP, TP, etc.). also, one nice feature is that it has a built-in timer option in case you want a timer for questions.

just thought that this might be useful in your project since it's for education. good luck!

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could try adding a state to the party that makes them unable to act, and then in the conditional branch checking the answer remove that state if they get the answer right. That would then let them act normally in battle.
This sounds like a good idea, but I suspect it won't actually work? Adding a restricted state clears the actor's pending actions, so the only way this approach could work is if the state is cleared before inputting actions. Which might still work, I suppose... instead of clearing the state if the answer correctly, add it if they answer wrong.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This sounds like a good idea, but I suspect it won't actually work? Adding a restricted state clears the actor's pending actions, so the only way this approach could work is if the state is cleared before inputting actions. Which might still work, I suppose... instead of clearing the state if the answer correctly, add it if they answer wrong.
Well it would only really work if the questions were being asked in a battle event and the enemies didn't do anything ordinarily.

Fufi_Saintz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Other
Hi everybody!

First of all, many thanks for your suggestions, I have been experimenting on @Trihan idea first (cause it was... the first one :ehappy: ). It doesn't work, or, at least, I wasn't unable to make it works. Attached you have how I tried to do that: I create an UnAct state, and set the battle system to remove it in case of right answer. Nothing happens, I think it is because the turn is used to remove the state.
Still it could be I have done it in the wrong way, so please tell me.

@Solar_Flare solutions could fix it, I will try it asap.

@Htlaets and @Lady_JJ solutions are the next, and just because could be better solutions, I will absolutely give a try!

PS: sorry if the language in the images is Italian, I am sure you will get the point, in case please write me and I'll explain/translate

Attachments

Fufi_Saintz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Other
this does not answer your question exactly, but i just released an educational game engine plugin. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/mvquizzer-educational-game-engine.124179/

you can call the plugin in battle for multiple choice / true-false questions (just not short answer). it does not affect your actions, but it can do many other things that would be important in a battle (add or remove states, HP, MP, TP, etc.). also, one nice feature is that it has a built-in timer option in case you want a timer for questions.

just thought that this might be useful in your project since it's for education. good luck!
OMG @Starbird_Resources I just gave a look at your plugin and it is incredible!!!
I've already done too much of my actual project to put your plugin in it, but this is GREAT and I'll sure use it in the future!! As a teacher I have lots of other ideas for educational projects, with your plugin they will be waaay easier to make!!

Fufi_Saintz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Other
Good news people!

I tried @Solar_Flare solution and at first it didn't work well, but after moving the core of the battle system to a common event and making some experiments on the right place to put/remove the "UnAct" state, I finally got it!!
In the image is how I got it working (sorry it is in italian, write me if you don't understand).
Still, I'll have a look at @Htlaets and @Lady_JJ solutions, I'll inform if I will find an easier way to get what I wanted.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

being able to transition music seamlessly is amazing. my main character's theme has lyrics and it goes from vocal version to istrumental when he leaves his room. and vice versa. and thanks to a plugin, the transition is seamless. I love it.
All of the auditions for our game are so good, I'm so glad I'm not in charge of choosing completely. lol I just can't with some of them. I listen to them on repeat. XD
Working on a Patch to integrate AlphaABS into random generated Dungeons. Was a bit tricky, but the outcome is a real Life Changer!!

Will release it the next days!
Been pretty busy... but I got a better headset for recording and listening today. Dad says that he'll consider taking me to Great Wolf Lodge for the first time once I finish summer classes (my final semester!) I'll be taking my plushie friends with me: Bendy, Lolbit, and Helen Henny. (I WUV PLUSHIES!)
SF_Monster3,4 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mezzy