Level Cap 1000

ScarletHarbringer

Wandering Swordsman
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just out of curiosity but has anyone made a game using any RPG Maker with a level cap that exceeds past level 99? :distrust:  Maybe the max level is 999 or 1000 (which is insane) I hope I am not the only one that exceeds the level cap past 99. Here's an example (the normal level cap I set is 200, the 400 is just temporary):

Capture3.PNG

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There might be people who did this - but the more important question in my opinion is if that would make the game better or worse?

If each level has only minor improvements, just to get the level number up, then a high level number makes a game worse because the value of the level/improvement is lessened. That can even happen with a game that has less than 99 levels, if you only get new skills to level 30 or so.

In a lot of the high-level-games around, that level is nothing but numbers to increase the ranking (which basically only helps in case of multiplayers). The only reasonable exception is where a game got several add-ons, each add-on needing to add new levels to handle the new content. And in those cases, they started out with lower level caps and only got to the high numbers through years of add-on making.

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
My cap is undefined yet, but I will definitely not be higher then 99. (certain people will have level limits lower than this)

You want level ups to feel like a victory, especially the harder they get, you level from 400-500 and get 1 skill or 2 skill its not worth it and feels very pointless;  you level from 400-500 and get 50 skills, its over whelming.

The problem with really high level caps will be to get the rewards for leveling right, the scaling of your game as well as purpose behind such a high level system. I wouldn't refuse to play a game because of it, but if when playing you level up 10 levels after a few fights I would probably be put off.

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
   My level cap is fifty, as I have found that most games which have level caps around the traditional 99 peak around that level (final fantasy, golden sun etc) and everything further is just for grinders anyway. I can't imagine going beyond that unless you sped up the process and made individual levels close to meaningless. While you can't level up ad infinitum leveling up is rewarding from start to finish and even a couple of levels can make a noticeable difference in combat. I can't imagine how you'd go about keeping that sense of growth in a game with 1000 levels, nor how you'd hook players into committing the time it takes to finish your game if you somehow did.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Chester: And in Disgaea leveling is super fast. I usually level up after 2 - 3 kills of enemies that are the same level as me, and that seemed to hold regardless of whether I was level 1 or level 1689.

I personally don't have my level cap above 99, but then again I don't think you need it unless you are going to have very rapid level ups anyways. To illustrate, in my game I ended at level 44 and that was with ~20 hours of content. I'd hate to think of what it would take to provide enough content to even get to level 99 via the main story, much less over level 99. 

ScarletHarbringer

Wandering Swordsman
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Andar That has to be the most well said reply I received so far. In fact, all of these replies are good. These are good points and I couldn't have said it better myself. One of the really good points was: having a very high level cap can be bad sometimes unless their is new content like DLC for example that increases the game's level cap so that you can handle the new enemies, quests, bosses, `etc.  Maybe I should stick with a level cap of 100 or 200. I definitely don't my level cap to go above 200. Thanks for the advice everyone.  ;)

Dr. Delibird

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
they started out with lower level caps and only got to the high numbers through years of add-on making.
And sometimes even then it doesn't work out well.....*cough* borderlands 2 *cough* UVHM balancing *cough* rank skills, health and melee not scaling well *cough*.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My game has a level cap of 25 (gaining a level takes real effort and gives stats a larger jump), heh. Personally I feel games with level caps that you can´t reach unless you grind for hours really aren´t worth it.

Espon

Lazy Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It just depends on how you want to balance the game.  Do you want small increments or large ones?  In Dark Souls, you gain a level every time you increase a stat by 1 point and yet being something like level 120 isn't considered high.

I usually just keep a level cap of 99, even if you only get to like level 50 through normal play.  I don't expect players to ever reach it normally, but it allows those that want to spend the extra time to get stronger can do so.  What I can't stand though are low level caps.  It makes battles just feel pointless if you can max out before reaching the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hmmmm, nice site UI change.
Swapped back to my original meds, but the flippity floppity has me reeling. T ^T I have game making and song collabs to do, hurry up, health. lol
It took me 6 retries to get the color of Yoshi I wanted. 30 mins of recording. 30 mins of voice work. Probably another 20 mins of waiting in between takes. But finally I got him...
I bought a 2 week emergency food supply. And people are already making fun of me :( I'll be fed for a bit while they go hungry when food supplies get cut(for whatever reason).
Start of semester today. This is going to be a long one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carugatti