Leviathan (Released)

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Missile, Jul 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Leviathan is a monster-training turn-based RPG with permanent death and randomized roguelike elements, providing a different playthrough each time.

Most recent version (unofficial contest with fixes)
    Contest version (requires RTP)

(RPG Maker VX does not allow compiling projects with RTP over a certain filesize, so the contest entry link requires it.)
    Screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'll certainly be fixing bugs and combining the RTP as soon as possible.
    Art and design: Missile
    Music and sound: m4uesviecr

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
    Olivier, Idril, ShinGamix and 7 others like this.
  2. Creative Ed

Creative Ed Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    This art is beautiful man, congrats :)

Will be downloading it soon ;)

3. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What a lovely style~ Especially the atmosphere. Rogue-like is always a term that gets me excited too. I've downloaded it to play on a day when I'm less burned out!

Best of luck in the contest.

4. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks!

Thanks, hoping for a very binding of isaac/pokemon nuzlocke feel, and you too!

5. Creative Ed

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Did you include everything in your game data?

It's lacking RGSS202E.dll. I don't have RMVX installed :/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
  6. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Same here. This is the first game that sparked my interest enough to download it on this burned-out day and then I can't run it. :/

7. Natoril

Natoril Warper Member

First Language:
    German
  8. m4uesviecr

m4uesviecr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    We'll have to update that on our page. Sorry about that, guys! Let us know if it still doesn't work after you download the RTP.

You'll need the RPG Maker VX RTP!

9. Creative Ed

First Language:
    Portuguese
    You should have included it in the package, but ok :)

10. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Unfortunately RMVX can't export the game with ecryption/RTP without creating a corrupted file (might be mistaken, but likely due to the built-in filesize limit)

(And thanks - added note to the OP)

11. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Gave this a little spin just now. It's certainly lovely on the eyes, and the use of sound and music and art in the intro builds a nice atmosphere and set the mood.

The graphics are really well done, and consistent in style everywhere. (which is nice. I adore consistency) At first I was put off by the slow speed for the movement (even dash felt slow) but I sort of understand it when I realized the tone of the game a bit better. Otherworldly, perhaps post-apocalyptic, exploration style. The game seemed to lack direction though and I found myself wandering in circles and quickly growing uninterested. Then I started to curse the walk speed again, as I was backtracking into the same deadends constantly.

A shame, because I was curious where it was going. I do get that I'm supposed to be exploring and finding the way myself, but some sort of subtle hints and such would have been nice. The intro gave me a very broad statement on what to do, but maybe some landmarks that could lead the player the right way would be a nice addition.

The encounter rate felt like it was set decently, and I liked how you didn't make any drastic change in sound between the battle and overworld - it felt in place with the rest. But battles never felt like a threat. A two member team was unhindered, and by the time I had four members, it was just a mild obstacle in my quest to figure out what I was doing. I never needed to use other skills other than my basic attacks.

Though, maybe there was a stronger area I never found. lol I was very lost.

Tiny error, I went in a building with a ladder on the outside, sorta south of a ruined bus (which was south of one of those clusters of tall people) and when I exited, appeared outside of a door further north of where I was.

I do want to give it another spin - on a day when I am in a better mind set for wandering aimless with cute little monsters by my side. (and they were quite cute!) Again, great work on building up the game's mood and tone with the art and music. I liked the look of the menus and such as well. Hopefully when I try it again, I'll figure out what I am doing and be able to complete it. :)

Best of luck in the contest.

12. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for going into such detail. Hope you get a chance to complete the desert map, the lighter-sand and set pieces like the tilted skyscraper and bus should point towards the end of it.
    Though it is definitely perhaps a bit too big too early on for it's own good.

13. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

+No BS, just game start.
    +FRIENDS!
    +The game art is VERY appealing.
    +Having the very first map loop back meant I did an entire loop of the place like an idiot at the extreme slow speed. Not fun.
    +I like the font and simplicity of the huds.
    +Naming your party members is always fun.
    -My main beef with this game is the lack of proper sound design. It drains away energy for me and feels lacking when there’s none of the sounds you’d be expecting (like the battle start, or general music in the beginning).
    -Map passability on the whole is a bit shaky, but the invisible walls here and there with no visible cues are really nasty.
    -No pictures from the front of your friends, so I can’t tell what they look like.
    -Very slow moving speed. It’s not a problem at first, but gets tiring later.
    -Somewhat high encounter rate combined with the slow moving speed.
    -Menu can be slow and unresponsive.
    -Your party line can cover up the enemy line.
    -The walking sprite of the protagonist is a bit underwhelming and doesn’t convey movement very much.
    -Fountain heals only heal the active party. (I understand it’s a roguelike game, but I have so many members so early in the game there’s no real way for me to really decide who I want yet.)

To the developer: I feel like this game could have been great if the sound design was better. The lack of proper sound drained away at my energy very quickly, which is a real shame. Even for a game which (I think) means to be slow and melancholic, the sound was too unused and low to support the game.
    There were also some odd choices such as slow menus and some visibility problems during battle. One of my complaints is that I could not see what my friends looked like, which in such a pretty game is REALLY a shame. Also, who’s this “Fallen” I’m carrying with me?
    I can’t comment on the combat much because I got by on attacking alone so far and I stopped playing, but it didn’t seem too bad. If this game gets some reword I’d be willing to play again, it seems like a pity that the sound and some polish stuff wasn’t better.

14. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    How the hell do I get out of Leviathan World D:

EvilEagles likes this.
  15. m4uesviecr

m4uesviecr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Haha, awe...

It's an alternate ending. You don't. 

16. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Random thoughts

beautiful! just freaking beautiful!

nooooooooooooooo enemies should not level with the player! nooooooooooooo!

no place to heal!? really?!

escape can fail in this already horrible situation

stuck in the snake god area...im done...
    General

This game was beautiful but a bit tedious (refer to notes^) theres not much to say really. there very little dialog you spent most of the time in battles and trying to figure out where to go

it was hard to enjoy exploring because of battles and hard to do battles due to the setup.

Overall

i would not recommend this.if you can find a lets play ii would suggest that instead if you really want to see this.

cabfe likes this.