LIb's Combat Motion Extension Tutorial [Plugins Required]

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Tutorials' started by Icelord24, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Icelord24

Icelord24 Stone of Joy Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I've been looking everywhere for a plugin that allowed me to extend my sprite sheet for battlers.
    I finally found one called "戦闘モーション拡張" ("Combat motion extension") by "LIbのツクールページ" after watching a YouTube video explaining the plugin, however the video was in Japanese and had somewhat poor English. The guy tried his best to make his English as understandable as possible, but I saw a lot of people in the comments who were confused. Now I'm here to help explain the basics of it for those who still don't understand it after the lengthy video tutorial (linked at the bottom).
    (Side note: This plugin also works with Yanfly's Action Sequence Packs. I will not be going over that part in this Tutorial as I'm still learning it.)

So firstly you're going to need the plugin, found here:
    http://librpg.zatunen.com/
    Just click on "MV素材" found on the left of the website.
    Then click here:
    [​IMG]
    It will give you a ZIP file that contains the plugin and a couple of demo characters.

Then get any art program that uses RGB style coloring to help adjust these sprites. I recommend GIMP as that's what I'll be using for this tutorial.
    Optional: If you have a program that will let you see the sprite animations to make sure they flow smoothly between one another, like "Game Character Hub" from steam, then I recommend using that too.

BASICS:

[​IMG]
    Viewing one of the demo characters "Figh" will show you the sprite sheet and some colored boxes: Yellow, Green, and Red. Each frame box is 144 x 144 pixels, however in this tutorial I will be using 192 x 192.
    Viewing the plugin in an editor, like notepad, will tell you what each row represents.
    [​IMG]
    Vibrato's battlers in the link below will also come with a file that will also show this:
    [​IMG]
    The sprite sheet will play its animation frames from left to right. [1 2 3 4 --->]
    The colored boxes represent the loop type.
    Yellow:
    The frames will loop forward and backward. [1 2 3 4 3 2 1 <--->]
    • Ex: Breathing animations.
    Green: The frames will loop forward only. [ 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 ---->]
    • Ex: Spins, victory jumps, chants.
    Red: The frames will play once, then stop at the last frame. [1 2 3 4]
    • Ex: Attacks, Taking Damage, Death.
    I mentioned above that you'll need a program that uses RGB, and that's for a specific reason:
    To adjust the speed of the animation you'll need to change the "B" value from 0. (If you take the colored boxes straight from the "figh" picture file, then the "B" value is set to 6. (frames is 1/60s, just like how "Wait" eventing is done.).
    Please keep in mind that Green ("G") or Red ("R") need to be at value 255 for their respective colors to take effect by the plugin.
    For Yellow, both "G" and "R" need to be value 255.
    Then adjust "B" as needed.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In this next image you will notice a LOT of white space outside of the frames. The white space is VERY IMPORTANT as it is what makes the graphics work properly.
    The White Space makes it to where all of the frames are [X] frames long.

You'll also notice that these middle animations are longer than 4 frames. Because of this, you need to place a white box m(of your frame's dimensions) after the colored box equal to the amount of missing frames. In this case, 4 white boxes were added per row to fill in the missing space.
    You need to do this for all of the other animation frames.
    However many frames your longest animation is, that is how many frames you need to add for EVERY ROW. If you don't, the animations will not display correctly.
    Example: (F = Frame with sprite, C = Colored Square, W = White Square)
    Row 1: F...F...F...C..W.W.W..W (3 Frames, 1 Colored Square, 4 White spaces, 8 Total Frames)
    Row 2: F...F...F...F...F...C.W..W (5 Frames, 1 Colored Square, 2 White spaces, 8 Total Frames)
    Row 3: F...F...F...F...C..W.W..W (4 Frames, 1 Colored Square, 3 White spaces, 8 Total Frames)
    Row 4: F...F...F...F...F...F...F...C (7 Frames, 1 Colored Square, 0 White spaces, 8 Total Frames)

Putting in your own character:
    Now let's go ahead and input our own characters and adjust the frames as needed. I'll be using P3X-774's (Vibrato's) sprites of the RPG MV Cover character Ald for this tutorial.
    [​IMG]

Here's the sprite sheet that you can get from the link below this tutorial:
    [​IMG]
    However for tutorial purposes I'm going to make an edit to help you all understand the white space and different frames.
    Here's what it looks like when it's finished:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, only the walking animation required more than 4 frames while all the other animations were only 4 frames long. But due to this, I needed to add white space to ensure that no graphical errors occurred.
    Now let's test out his Idle animation in a test battle:
    [​IMG]
    Woah that's a bit too fast. Currently the speed of this animation is 6. I know this because the RGB value is R:0, G:255, B:6.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Let's go ahead and change the frame speed.
    We can do this by changing the Green Square's color value to R:0, G:255, B:12.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It's a very subtle change but it effects the plugin entirely.
    Now let's see how the speed is:
    [​IMG]
    Much better, at least for me. You might want a different speed, and all you have to do is change the color value of "B". The higher the number, the slower it moves.

Now lets say you want two sprite animations to connect with one-another, but you don't want to make a 16 frame long sheet. That would just be too much work!
    For example, you don't want the character to just be in a single, unanimated pose, what do you do?
    [​IMG]
    Well you connect walk animation with idle animation.
    How?
    like this:
    [​IMG]
    Color the top right corner of any Red square to black(R:0, G:0). This opens up a connection for that animation and changes what "B" does.
    Instead of changing frame speed, when paired with Black "Blue" will connect that animation with another animation.
    So in my example I set B:1, this makes it to where after Ald finishes his Walking animation, he'll immediately go into his Idle animation. (View the notepad to see all the indexed values for the other animations.)
    [​IMG]

And that's about it for the basics of this plugin!

There's a lot more you can do with this, as I said before you can also use it with Yanfly's Action Sequence Packs, however I have yet to learn that. Once I do, I'll make a different tutorial thread on combining the two plugins.

If you have any questions, please ask me and I'll try to answer it with the best of my knowledge!
    If you know this plugin more than I do and you think I messed up somewhere or left something out then please let me know so I can update this!

Links:
    The Japanese tutorial can be found here:
    Link to LIb's website: http://librpg.zatunen.com/
    Vibrato's animated battlers can be found here: http://p3x774.web.fc2.com/
    Link to Gimp: https://www.gimp.org/
    Link to Yanfly's Website: http://yanfly.moe/yep/

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Regino, DarkHunter, Mimironi and 3 others like this.
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Thanks mate! super useful tutorial :D

Icelord24 likes this.
  3. ramedina1234

ramedina1234 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    typeError "Cannot read property 'width' of undefined

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  4. fugahagen

fugahagen Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Doesn't seem to be updated for 1.61

Can anyone tell me if those plugins and P3X-774's (Vibrato's) sprites are ok to use in a commercial game?

5. ramedina1234

ramedina1234 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @fugahagen what do you mean doesnt seem to be updated for 1.6.1? im using 1.5.1.

6. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can't seem to get this to work properly, maybe it's because I'm on the latest version of MV and this plugin is not updated for it? Anyone else having the same problems. I'm confident I understand the tutorial and how to use the plugin but in battle it doesn't display properly and each frame shows random parts of the sprite sheet flickering. Very weird.