Licenses and EULA

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Tuomo L, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, this is something I was wondering; is there any set license or EULA that I should add to my game when I release it? If there is, where can I find it?

Some plugins and stuff that I have found (such as fonts) say that they're released under MIT license and that I need to include that license but including it as it is makes it sound like my game is free to be shared and I don't want that to happen obviously. :rswt So how do I include MIT (If I'm really required to include it in the game release?) without it making it sound like I want people to share my commercial game for free and then be like "It was released under MIT, now this game is shareware"?

I tried to search for FAQ and other things but there's no clear things written on paper of what you should always include when releasing your game made with Enterbrain. In contrast Game Maker has a very clear EULA that you need to include whenever you release the game.

I was also trying to look for licenses online but they're all about sharing and being more open source, again something that I don't want. I'm not really looking to make my games shareware or open source and am more looking to find licenses that help protect my interests.:rswt2:

Sorry if I sound silly but I couldn't find any information about this stuff anywhere.

2. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No, there's no license you need to include from RM's end, you're not distributing your game with the intent to let others redistribute it. However some resources require the distribution licence to never be separated from the resource. If you've got something CC-By-SA you're required to share the resources you got under that license so the license needs to go too. Perhaps if you put it in a folder titled Resource Licences and have a readme that links which files to which licencing rules. I don't understand the MIT license, technically it's not even appropriate for use with resources, but I think it actually does require your entire game to be open source. Not sure though, not a lawyer.

3. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can anyone verify, in laymans terms if MIT license means I have to make my stuff open source?

Because I don't want to, my game's commercial and non open source but I see people all around here using MIT and the fonts I use are under MIT too.

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I highly doubt anyone here can. We aren't lawyers. You may wish to consult one to see what the MIT license means for your game.

5. Zeriab

Zeriab Huggins! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
  6. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  7. RyanBram

RyanBram Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    MIT License basically said, "Do anything as you want (open source or closed source, commercial or non-commercial), as long as you don't claim this work is yours."
    Most of parts of RPG Maker MV engine is also build on top of MIT licensed software.

BSD and Apache are also a permissive license.