Light Encryption for RPG Maker MV?

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Were it up to me I'd post my game without any encryption. It's not hard to get around encryption and the very very few people who would want to, have the means to do so online. However, the terms of service of some (or all) paid dlc requires encryption. So, from what I understand, the options here are:

1. Use RPG Maker MV's default encryption.
It's simple to set up, has minimal effect on performance, is compatible with every OS, and is simple to crack. The problem with this, however, is if you use plug-ins that require additional folders in the image section. This doesn't work for me because I use a variety of plug-ins that use additional folders in the image section. If there's some way around this I'd be happy to hear it, as I'm not so much concerned about my game being cracked as I am about conforming to TOS.

2. Use Enigmabox.
This causes performance issues and is only compatible with windows. And, from what I understand, it's still not particularly hard to crack. So, it's a no-go off the bat.

Anyone have any suggestions for this quandary?

sura_tc

Loner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
Other
Depends on priorities. If asset protection is more important, then use Enigmabox.

However, every game run inside of Enigmabox has always been sort of buggy for me.

Sunjean

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norvegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As long as you don't have your game date on the server side, it's hard to prevent hacking.
And even then they manage if they know what they are doing.
Just look at the big AAA titles - even they get hacked.
So how can small developers prevent it?

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Depends on priorities. If asset protection is more important, then use Enigmabox.

However, every game run inside of Enigmabox has always been sort of buggy for me.
I'm not worried about hacking or protection, just worried about conforming to the TOS of DLC resources. So basically, I'm looking for the bare, BARE minimum of encryption that also works when you have folders in your project connected to plug-ins.

sura_tc

Loner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
Other
Then the default encryption works. It can be broken easily as you say but it confirms to the ToS of 3rd party assets.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could just change the plugins to use the default folders rather than their own, and put all your images into the default folders. You might need to create a dummy map with commands/events that use all of those images, if you are checking the Exclude Unused Resources option when you deploy.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You could just change the plugins to use the default folders rather than their own, and put all your images into the default folders. You might need to create a dummy map with commands/events that use all of those images, if you are checking the Exclude Unused Resources option when you deploy.
Thanks for the reply. I've actually figured out a way to get around the exclude unused problem. I just need to deploy with exclude unused, add the folders in afterward, then make a project out of the deployment. From there I can deploy everything while encrypting.

BUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT....

It only partially works with one of the plug-ins I have (specifically sumrndmdde's character creator). Basically the plug-in creates sprites and faces from a pool of individual parts located in a separate folder in the image file (so character appearance can change as the story/equipment demands). The plug-in also allows you to make different pre-set expressions you can call with a command in textboxes so you don't have a character with the same expression all the time.

The problem is that, while it loads the base face and base top view sprite parts, it does not load most of the parts from the additional expressions or the sideview sprite. So, for certain expressions I'd end up with a horrifying mouthless, eyeless face and in battle all I've got is a floating shadow. I'm not sure what the cause there is.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This isn't a topic for General Discussion, since it's focused on MV.

Moving to MV Support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.
Why is there so much month left at the end of money? D=
Hello humans! How goes your day in this journey of living? I hope it is good, for I am human like you, and I am feeling great! Worship the altar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GmOcean