Light of the Dim VXA - Playable Intro

LightofthedimVXA

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Some of you may have heard of this title already, although most of you probably have not. This project has been in development for several years, spanning across

three different "makers" since it's inception.

I apologize in advance for the lack of screenshots. I haven't converted most of my maps over from VX yet, and these few are what I could gather without giving away and spoilers during the intro. If more is required, I will do my best to throw something together.

The game centers on Kaeden, a nineteen year-old male from the remote village of Kakothin. During the first events of the game, his village is attacked by what is known as the "Shadow," leaving no noticeable survivors besides himself. After his village is attacked, he sets out to get answers to the one question he as always asked; what is the Shadow, and where did it come from? Along the way he meets several unique individuals who interweave their fates with his and forming friendships that will last a lifetime. Kaeden and his friends travel many different regions of the world searching for answers as to why the world is the way it is, visiting sprawling cities, forgotten ruins and traversing lands and oceans alike. What is the Shadow? Why is it so adamant on taking life away without an apparent reason? Why is the Empire so bent on dominating the entire world? What role does Kaeden play in all of this? All of these questions and many more will be answered.

The game is set on the planet of Linera, a smaller world in comparison to most, roughly a fourth of the size of our planet Earth. The land is split by two nations, the Zendarian Empire which marches under the banner of the Iron Hammer, and the Calastian Republic, marching under the White Phoenix. The two nations have been at odds with each other for centuries, leaving many alive today that have forgotten even why the two came to dispute in the first place. Zendaria sprawls across planes and mountains, while Calastia dominates the more dry and arid areas of the world, peaking out to the lifeless cold of the northern continents. While the Calastians hold more territory, the Zendarians are a driven war machine to be reckoned with. As of late, the Zendarian Capital, Pox City, has been a hub for all sorts of rumors and ramblings, from the downright insane to the eerily ironic. Could the Empire really be planning a large-scale attack on the Calastians with all of the death and sorrow that is filling the world in the recent years?

There are eight unique characters in Light of the Dim, each with their own fully-fleshed out backstories and personalities. I am going to do my best to keep this section SPOILER FREE to avoid giving away any plot twists.

The main protagonist of the story. He was born and raised in Kakothin with his older brother, Radeke. Usually quiet, he is quite intelligent and is knowledgeable in most practical matters of the world. He is a skilled swordsman and aspires to be a great combatant like his brother who joined the Empire's army some few months before the game's introductory sequence. He is living with his mother in Kakothin when it is attacked by the Shadow.

A cunning thief with a sharp tongue, this seventeen year-old boy has been surviving on his own since he was only eight, more often than not barely escaping many situations with his life. He becomes Kaeden's best friend throughout the events of the game, and for the first time in his life, he would lay down his life for somebody else if the opportunity presented itself.

Belonging to a race of people known as Warders, this Ranger has protected the woodland areas of the Empire for many years. He is able to study the movements and behaviors of many of the world's creatures and mimic them himself, making him a formidable ally. He seems to always be at odds with Gage, but through the course of the game they come to terms with one another and genuinely care about each other.

A powerful magician from Pox City. She is the leader of the band of thieves known as the Wild Hearts. She puts off a stern and rough exterior, but this is only because she always has her guard up to the ways of the world that have come to cause her so much pain. She joins with Kaeden after he comes to Pox City seeking an audience with the Emporer.

The first character to join the party from the Calastian Republic, this charming lancer has always had a way with words. He loyally protects everyone that he befriends and makes a very powerful ally on the battlefield. He begins a love interest with Allari that develops towards the middle of the storyline.

This accomplished fighter belongs to the race of people known as the Tael. She is abnormally upbeat and happy with just about everything, and her spirit is not easily broken. She has adopted the shamanistic ways of her people and brings a large arsenal of buffs and crippling debuffs to the battlefield.

A freelance assassin that attacks an important character later in the storyline and joins Kaeden's cause afterwards. Not much is initially known about him other than his impressive combat skills. There are many side-quests that involve Cloak's storyline and reveal more and more about his past as you progress through them.

A general for the Empire that has been infused with dark power. He has been blind since birth, only given sight through a special visor made for him when he joined the Empire. He is a very powerful combatant capable of wielding psychic and dark magics as well as bringing great destruction with his sword skills.

I am currently only using a handful of scripts, but the ones that I am using have vastly improved my game in my eyes, and I couldn't make this project without the dedicated work of these individuals.

Yanfly

Hanzo Kimura

Bravo2Kilo

ldida1

RAFAEL_SOL_MAKER

Jet10985

I would also like to thank Erdernstern for their AMAZING orchestral work that brings such emotion to this project.

I have been developing games on the "maker" series since the 95 edition, and my experience with the program itself has grown immensely. However, I am NOT a scripter by any means and cannot do anything more than figure out a few tweaks here and there when looking at them. I could never write scripts from the ground up on my own, so I would like to thank everyone for the work they put into their scripts, even if some people don't find them all that great, it takes time and energy to put these things together. So again, thank you.

Most of what you see in my game will be done through the use of events and image manipulation. I make most of my own sprites and compose some of my own original pieces of music. If you see ANYTHING that can use improvement in this intro alone, please feel free to give me any criticism.

I am also going to make a post in another forum about this, but if anyone would be interested in working with me on this project, especially scripters, please let me know. You can contact me at lightofthedimvxa@live.com or on here.

And here it is, the download link. Remember, this is only the short INTRODUCTION to the game. If I am posting a download link out of the guidelines that I have overlooked, please let me know so I can take the proper actions to fix this.

The rapidshare and 4shared links are to the RTP included version for those who do not own RPG Maker VX Ace. The mediafire link is to the non-RTP included version for those who DO own RPG Maker VX Ace.

4shared (RTP - 245.31MB)

http://www.4shared.c...of_the_Dim.html?

rapidshare (RTP - 245.31MB)

https://rapidshare.c....exe|245313|0|0

mediafire (non-RTP - 47.43MB)

http://www.mediafire...w9382fx175y1p2x

"Like" Light of the Dim on Facebook!

"Subscribe" to the Light of the Dim official YouTube channel!

If you would like to support the development of the project, simply use the following image somewhere in your signature.

Last edited by a moderator:

LightofthedimVXA

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
YouTube and Facebook links now added to help keep up with the game outside of the forums. However, any "official page" links re-direct here.

RyanA

Happy Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks good, not really fond of the name though.

There's nothing wrong with it at all, it's just...my opinion? :3

Last edited by a moderator:

LightofthedimVXA

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm sorry. It's been the name I've had reserved since I was about ten years old an a fanatic about RPG games. It also ties into the storyline.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Helldivers is so much fun!
Suitemate: "Do you have detergent"
Me: "Ya, the spray kind"
Me: *realizes he said detergent, not deodorant*
Me: "Guess I'll die!"
If there's one thing I hate about myself, it's that I procrastinate. Ever since I started looking stuff up on how to properly balance and create armour, weapons and skills; I've let myself down in progress.
So I was at the dentist yesterday and she said,"I'm gonna propose to Dr. Anderson...(Then she paused as she thought what to say). And I said,"I think he is a little old for you." She laughed good naturedly. Then she jabbed sharp things in my mouth for the next 3 hours.
Update on my experiment with uploading my Android games to the Amazon app store: made about $45 in 2 months, but 0 sales for the past 3 weeks. Not sure its worth the effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otishorn