renguro

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was wondering if there was a way to make the halo of light around a player, sort of similar to how Pokemon games do it.
upload_2019-9-14_22-24-53.png
Like this, except a softer glow, and just a dim background instead of a completely dark one.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[move]RGSS3 Script Requests[/move]
You could try Galv's Visibility Range script. Last time I looked he provided a demo complete with a graphic. If the graphic is too dark, you could always reduce the opacity a bit in an image program (e.g. GIMP or paint.NET if you don't have Photoshop).

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it can easily be done without scripts if you accept some minor limits.

the trick is to create the darkness with a picture that covers the entire screen and is completely black, with only the center area being transparent - to whatever distance you want, and that includes partial darkness by changing the amount of transparent pixels between the black pixels.

the disadvantage here is that it requires the player to stay in the center of the window - he cannot be allowed to approach the borders of the map.
and that requires to make the maps at least 10 tiles larger in any direction, while blocking all places where the player might be able to get nearer than 9 tiles to the border.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If the graphic is too dark, you could always reduce the opacity a bit in an image program (e.g. GIMP or paint.NET if you don't have Photoshop).
No need, there is an opacity controller inside the script. And it's actually a good thing because you can make it gradually darker by modifying the variable.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Added store elements.
44JtdpE5n4jQMFkSi7pACW.png

2uqvqT3uCWxcXAhlyZokxg.png

The next step will be to start making props (including distillers).
I just saw one of SigmaSuccor's RPG Maker news videos, it mentioned one of my plugins. Now I kind of wish I'd made a demo project for it, having nothing in that segment but a scroll down the code feels a little underwhelming given what the plugin COULD do. Except I suck at making demo stuff, and my testing project isn't fit for that. :(
Ok, to prepare for the GMTK Game Jam, I'm trying to make a game with the theme "The Cat's out of the Bag" in about 48 hours. I'd make a forum post with a question, but I don't have the time!
Worked over a week on a new BGM, and I'm finally happy with it.

Here are some screenshots of the area it will be used in
EzLHppdVIAMY7DP

EzLHpqsVIAEZ7jt
#WIP Metal Tactics's TBS (2015 vs 2021)
VSt9pWc.png
ZXnpNYY.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangos_Bored