renguro

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was wondering if there was a way to make the halo of light around a player, sort of similar to how Pokemon games do it.
upload_2019-9-14_22-24-53.png
Like this, except a softer glow, and just a dim background instead of a completely dark one.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[move]RGSS3 Script Requests[/move]
You could try Galv's Visibility Range script. Last time I looked he provided a demo complete with a graphic. If the graphic is too dark, you could always reduce the opacity a bit in an image program (e.g. GIMP or paint.NET if you don't have Photoshop).

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it can easily be done without scripts if you accept some minor limits.

the trick is to create the darkness with a picture that covers the entire screen and is completely black, with only the center area being transparent - to whatever distance you want, and that includes partial darkness by changing the amount of transparent pixels between the black pixels.

the disadvantage here is that it requires the player to stay in the center of the window - he cannot be allowed to approach the borders of the map.
and that requires to make the maps at least 10 tiles larger in any direction, while blocking all places where the player might be able to get nearer than 9 tiles to the border.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If the graphic is too dark, you could always reduce the opacity a bit in an image program (e.g. GIMP or paint.NET if you don't have Photoshop).
No need, there is an opacity controller inside the script. And it's actually a good thing because you can make it gradually darker by modifying the variable.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Light up explosions with QABS and Community Lighting.
qcPQHt9.gif
Doing RPG Maker News #18 | Moghunter is Back, Encrypt MV/MZ Plugins, Isometric Geometric Tiles
Unironically, no joke, after consideration and self-reflection, I have decided that the best thing for my creative/workflow/commitment problems is to spend EVEN MOAR hours a day playing videogames than I normally do. (Micro-thread)
FINALLY got my weather system implemented. Who needs a black mage when you have a weathermancer! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unband