GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello friends! I was hoping to get some feedback and ideas from all of you beautiful people. This is a simple idea I had for a puzzle mechanic within my game, and I was wondering what additions you all would suggest to make it more dynamic and interesting.

So, the idea is simple. There is a lit flame, and 1 or more unlit flames. Once all the flames are lit, the player can progress. The catch is that the flame will die out after the player takes their 5th step.

torch range.jpg

I have drawn a small image showing the torch, and the range the flame will have after the player "picks it up". My question is what unique puzzle elements can be added? How can I make it more than "walk 5 steps" to reach the next unlit torch?

I already have an item that adds 2 more steps to the length of the flame, but I'm looking for some other ideas. Let's get those puzzle minds working!

Hopefully I included enough info - let me know if you need any clarifications!

Last edited:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Game Ideas and Prototypes. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

NocaToca

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean, theres not much more you can do with this, besides maybe having it so that all the flames die out if you take too many steps or have you have to lit the flames in a specific order.

Basically you can just have it so you have to light one flame and not another, or light smaller flames that die out to help you get a farther distance. Kind of like a checkpoint, but I could disappear maybe after like 15 steps or something

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Adding the ability to light more than one torch might add some more possibilities. For example lighting torches that are right next to each other you can stand in front of the first one and light the second one behind it as well from the same spot.

Assuming you need to be next to the torch to light it, maybe there can be an item so that you can light it 1 step away.

Let the player be at an angle of the torch to light it could also save a step allowing them to reach the last torch.

If the item to extend length by 2 steps can only be used once per puzzle then the typical strategy would be to light the first one. Have the player do it this way a couple times then surprise them with needing to light the last one with the item instead. For example the first ones only unlocks the last one which then unlocks the door 7 steps away and you need to get to the door before the last torch goes out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Oh, stop with the Melodrama...

...Listen to it instead!

anybody else like getting baked whilst coding?

When you go to the beach watch out for coconuts. Coconuts are more dangerous than sharks. Fact.
Try to get into pixelart again, so far its a sucess.
Also finally found a useful pixeltutorial which helps a lot.
♫ Anyone knows an ant can't move a rubber tree plant, but he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes, he's got high apple pie in the sky hopes ♫

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tdominach