Lily's Librams

Discussion in 'RGSS Scripts (RMXP)' started by DerVVulfman, Dec 25, 2018.

1. DerVVulfman

DerVVulfman Resident Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Lily's Librams
    Version 1.0

Introduction

This system allows you to have actual books, scrolls or the like within your game. These will have text and/or graphics within which the player may read. And the actual book content (except for graphics) is saved as rxdata files which may be compressed with the rest of your game project.

As a bonus, reading a book or scroll may grant a hero bonuses and/or penalties while also allowing the memorization or loss of skills from the RPGMaker database.

Features
    • Books! You can now have books you can read in your game, and not just some text message!
    • Books with pictures! And books where the author (you) can choose your preferred font!
    • Scrolls! It's not just for books alone.
    • You can set the backgrounds, sounds when opening/closing and leafing through the books, and the manner you flip through the pages!
    • Separate folders! Books are kept in a Data\Books folder. Keeps them separate and they still cache and encrypt! Graphics have their own too of course.
    • Bonuses, Penalties, Spells, Oh My! Books can help or hinder the reader when first read. New way to learn spells, right?
    • A converter script built-in, allowing you to convert text files to books, and visa versa!

Screenshots
    [​IMG]
    Screenshot from private engine under development. Font sizes not actual while in RPGMaker XP.
    Article within is literally from 'Dragon Magazine', a magazine that was devoted to D&D Gamers.

Demo
    >>READING IS FUNDAMENTAL!<<

Instructions

Plenty, and all within the demo's instruction page. But as the instructions within states... It only converts ANSI text files, no Unicode, UTF-8 or variations.

FAQ
    The demo shows how you can take a text file from the 'Text' folder in the demo's root directory and save the encrypted/converted version in the game's Data\Books folder. The actual letter being encrypted is not in Data\Books demo until YOU get the Librarian to do this task.

This demo also includes the other books in text format in a special Text\Converted folder.

For Scripters

There is an empty method called "process_libram_extra" which would let you add extra effects for reading a book.

Author's Notes

Uploaded and introduced to the community on Christmas Eve while listening to the OST to Die Hard! The best Christmas Action Film of ALL TIME!!!

Miscellaneous

Giving a shout to my niece!

Recommended

FontZ version 1.2+ by DerVVulfman to gain use of extra font styles: underline, shadow, outline, strike-thru

Compatibility

Fairly compatible for RPGMaker XP systems. It doesn't rewrite any methods in the system.

Credits and Thanks

I was inspired by LilyFrog of Save-Point.Org who asked me to help her with a book script by ForeverZer0. Almost nothing of his original script is here, perhaps just the skeleton of the book loading system, though his loaded from text files and those wouldn't ever cache. But due credit goes towards both LilyFrog and ForeverZer0. And, thanks to Trickster for the basis of his formatted text system which I had tweaked to include font effect codes.

Terms of Use

Free for use, even in commercial games. Only due credit for myaelf and those others within 'Credits and Thanks' is required.[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    slimmmeiske2 likes this.
  2. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Wow, this looks great! I've actually been searching for a book script liked ForeverZer0's but with the ability of images and backgrounds, so this is perfect. :D

3. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Thankies! But you can give some thanks to a girl named Lily too. She showed me his script, and it kinda made me think about using the text wrapping system I used in Queen's Quest to render books and take it a step further. Step? I think I went for a jog. I think just parts of the rudimentary load system is in use... if that. Still, give full credit to all. :D Why am I thinking the avatar is really BB Hood from Darkstalkers? :p

4. Robert-Character Creator

Robert-Character Creator Waiting for Replies Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    ROBERT WANTS TO KNOW YOUR LOCATION.

No, but seriously. This looks amazing, I'll definitely be using this in my project! Can you choose the font size?

5. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Currently, you are limited to only one font size per book. You can set the font and font size per book, but cannot use multiple fonts or font sizes within the same book.

Right now (answering early), you can't make centered or right-adjusted text. And the routine that converts text files to the .rxdata format only accepts ANSI encoded text files. It goes a bit bonkers if you use any other. So no custom characters like é in Pokémon (not that anyone can make fangames for them anymore). Still, you could use graphics to render special characters....

I mighta had that windowskin at some time..

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  6. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Okay, I see. Are you planning on expanding on this in the future, or is this the finished package?

Don't worry it's not mine.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  7. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Those are three options on my mind. However, I cannot say if or when I can get to them.

A fourth option would be to have a visible 'COVER' as if you see the book unopened (an option). And a fifth option would be to 'Pick up the book' when its being read from an event. But that one would be a bit messy.

Like how my mind works? :D But again, I don't know if or when I can get to these. I have some issues helping others on lag here, issues with enhanced battlesystem states in another, and then there's an upgrade to the Lycan ABS I seriously want to do. OH, and there's the scripting lessons thread.

8. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You could just have an option when looking at the cover to pick up the book, which ends the scene and adds the item to the inventory. This option, of course, would only be there if the book wasn't already in your inventory, since you could read it from there, too. The issue there is just with detecting duplicate books.

There's a whole new year to whittle away. May as well do what you like, whatever that may be.