Limit Break

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Scripts (RMVX Ace)' started by Selchar, Apr 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Selchar

Selchar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Limit Break 1.01

Selchar

Introduction

These scripts attempts to mimic the Limit Break features of FF7 & FF8 in battles only.  When setup, the Limit command(or whatever you call said skill category) will appear when either your TP gauge is full, or your health is below a certain %(+ random chance)

Features

- Adds a skill command to your actor's command list when your TP gauge is full, which will either appear above Attack or replace it depending on settings.

- Any skills under your chosen category will cost all of your TP, much like how the Limit gauge empties in FF7 after usage.

- Choose which actors have this feature with a notetag, instead of giving it to everyone.

How to Use

Instructions are in the script, but in summary, to make an actor eligible for Limit Breaks, add the notetag <use_limit_break_7>, or <use_limit_break_8> to their notebox, depending on the script used.  You should also set aside a skill category(like skill/magic, which are the default) to be used by the script, and have any Limit Break type moves be in said category.  Your actors must have learned the skill for it to appear in battle of course.  And you do NOT need to add the skill category to your actor/class.  (It won't appear even if you do add it).

Note: There are 2 different scripts, both require my Skill Command Exceptions script

Script
    Required: Add Skill Command Exceptions
    Limit Break 7
    Limit Break 8
    FAQ

Q: Are there any compatibility issues?

A1: It does not work with Tsukihime's Command Manager, it has been made compatible with Yanfly's Battle Commands tho, and Victors stuff from the looks of it, but if you're using his scripts, you may as well use his command replacer.

A2: It may and it may not have issues with other scripts that effect the actor_command window, or TP in certain ways.

Q: Commercial/Non-Commercial?

A: Anything goes.

Credit and Thanks

- Selchar

- Square Soft/Enix for making Final Fantasy 7/8

Author's Notes

When using Yanfly's Battle Engine, the TP gauge is not displayed unless you have both learned a skill that costs TP and have a feature that add's said skill's category to your actor.  In such a case, if you don't want to have any usable skills that have TP costs, adding your "Limit Break" category will do the trick.  I've made sure you won't have access to said category even if you do that.  Unless another script conflicts with that for some reason of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
    Rayhaku808 and Tsukihime like this.
  2. rinju

rinju Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Sorry noob question but I don't understand the part where you create a skill category like magic/skill to add skills to it.

3. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Can we have some screenshots?

4. Kenen

Kenen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This looks like a great way to put the built-in TP system to use for people who might not otherwise want to use it for ordinary skills. Really cool—thank you for posting it.

5. Nosleinad

Nosleinad Storyteller Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I just tested it and it worked flawlesly within my current project (i use lots of scripts rsrsrs). Thanks Selchar.

6. Selchar

Selchar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm glad some people like it!

I meant to say Magic/Special, check the last tab in the database, bottom left corner for "Skill Types".  That's what I was referring to.

@ShinGamix: Other than a picture of the limit command, or of the Terms Tab, anything specific you think I should have a screenshot of?

7. Clov

Clov Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I tried installing the script, and it gave me the following error:

Script 'Limit' line 39: NameError occurred

uninitialized constant Object::Window_command

I don't know if there's anything I'm doing wrong, but I was hoping you might be able to provide some insight?

8. Jeffafa

Jeffafa Multi-colored Mage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is remarkably close to what I'm looking for. Basically I'm looking for a system that works like FFVI's Desperation Attacks. Essentially, when health is critical, there's a (small) random chance that when you attack, you'll actually do some crazy over-the-top attack instead. I want to kind of merge the two concepts. I want to have the Limit system so characters can use certain skills, but only randomly and when health is critical. Any idea how to implement that?

9. Slasherzeta

Slasherzeta Villager Member

First Language:
    English
  10. Jeffafa

First Language:
    English
    Omgosh thank you so much!

11. Selchar

Selchar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Based on your posts here, and my other thread, you wish for a version that's closer to what's in FF8?  I made a modified version of this script that should do the job for you.

Limit Break: FF8 Style

Hope that's what you wanted, and I'll add on a warning that the 2 different Limit Break scripts available are not currently compatible with each other, so it's either the FF7 style or the FF8 style.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
  12. Jeffafa

First Language:
    English
    Omg this works flawlessly. You're beautiful and so remarkably talented. Thank you so much! I might be calling on you again soon :)

13. Vendastelca

Vendastelca Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey is there any way to change the COLOR of the command "Limit" that comes up? Because if I can make it yellow it'll seem like an actual special command.

Edit: Nevermind! I figured it out with this...here's to anyone who wants to use it, It's from Tsukihime

class Window_ActorCommand < Window_Command def draw_item(index) if command_name(index) == "Limit" change_color(Color.new(255,0, 0), command_enabled?(index)) else change_color(normal_color, command_enabled?(index)) end draw_text(item_rect_for_text(index), command_name(index), alignment) endendjust put it above the limit script and viola!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
    DoctorArtist likes this.
  14. Jeffafa

First Language:
    English
    Thanks!

15. burntable

burntable Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I'm using your script and find it ridiculously good ;)

But one thing bothers me.. if I'm using some sort of autobattle, the actor spams the limit breaks every round. It seems there is no TP cost at all for him.

In my last project I just made an autobattle state wich seals the usage of limit.

But in my new project I'm using Yanfly's autobattle command and I just can't fix this issue. Does anyone know a proper workaround or a fix?

edit: Nevermind, it was Victor's Engine (either the core engine or the battle scripts) that was causing the trouble.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2013
  16. Selchar

Selchar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm glad these scripts are liked, I have updated them so that the notetag can be used in actor/class/equipment/state noteboxes now if for whatever reason someone wanted to do it that way.  The 2 different limit break scripts are also compatible with each other now.

They also from now on require a short script I made to be added beforehand(but after Yanfly's Command Manager if used).

As for your problem, it is possible it had something to do with Victor's scripts, they can be tricky when it comes to compatibility(I stopped trying to understand their inner workings a long time ago), he also has a "Command Replace" script which can be used like my limit break scripts unless you keep the Attack command in place like I allow(and I auto-set tp cost to max for limit break 7, ignoring anything set in the database).

Anyways, I don't know to fix your problem if it still is, but I'm glad you liked the script anyways!

17. psu4ever10

psu4ever10 Warper Member

Awesome script! I'm using Yami's Side-view Battle system and was wondering if when the actor gets a full TP gauge a short animation over the actor could be placed like fire or something for a second, just to alert the player of a full tp gauge thanks.

18. Nosleinad

Nosleinad Storyteller Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Nice suggestion!!

19. Selchar

Selchar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Here's an implementation that seems to work with Yanfly Battle Engine, Yanfly's Visual Battlers, Yanfly's Free Turn Battle System, and Yami's Battle Engine Symphony(and any combination of those that works), The Max Tp animation is displayed at the end of a turn, and can be shown for enemies as well. It's only checking for full TP, and not checking for the limit_break_7 notetag, but I can change that if it's wanted.

Code:
    module Selchar
      module Max_Tp_Ani
        Actors_Only = false
        Default = 107
      end
    end

class Scene_Battle < Scene_Base
      alias :max_tp_ani_turn_end :turn_end
      def turn_end
        max_tp_ani_turn_end
        temp = []
        battlers = Selchar::Max_Tp_Ani::Actors_Only ? $game_party.members : all_battle_members
        battlers.each do |i|
          temp << i if i.tp == i.max_tp
        end
        show_normal_animation(temp, Selchar::Max_Tp_Ani::Default)
      end
    end

It doesn't work with Fomar's ATB however, or his Yanfly Compatible ATB(or at least not in a way that's be useful), but I'll see if I can put something together that works with those if it's desired. Let me know how you like it.Edit: Hitting a road block with the ATB compatible version, but I'll keep looking to see if I can figure out how to do it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  20. psu4ever10

psu4ever10 Warper Member

Wow this is awesome! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.  Now I do use Yami's ATB system (YSA Battle System: Classical ATB) and it doesn't work with that, I don't know if that's easier to tinker around with or harder than Yanflys or Fomars. If it's easier to make it compatible with Fomar's or Yanflys I can switch over to them.  Thank you again!