Limitations of RMMV browser export and what changes will it make to the browser version compared to the executable / app version?

CaraPrincess

The Princess of the Great Cross
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aside from a mobile port of Genkaroku, I am also planning to have a browser version of Genkaroku too, running on HTML5. This plan is made in correlation with the news that the worldwide version of Touken Ranbu, a pretty popular browser game, is releasing soon.

Despite there are some pretty comprehensive and full-a** RMMV browser games such as Nina Aquila, I am not sure about the limitations and changes made to the browser version of an RMMV game compared to the application version. Aside from interface elements' changes, what are the other limitations / changes made to a browser export of a game in RMMV? BTW, I am currently making Genkaroku as an ARPG (action role-playing game) utilizing Alpha ABS.

Any information on this will be heavily appreciated!

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Usually, there aren't any. The only exception is when a Plugin Dev made his plugin based on NodeJS, probably because he just didn't know about it. The most prominent example: The plugin dev tries to save&load data while writing on the hard disk, and as you can imagine, on a browser, you don't have any disk.

So you could open a plugin file and search for "require(...)" and then you know that this plugin will not work in a browser game.

All in all, this is the only exception I'm aware of, and it's pretty rare :)

EDIT:
I was informed via private message that my suggestions to look for "require" may not be 100% accurate.

Last edited:

CaraPrincess

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh. So for games that have plugins based on NodeJS, they will not run on a browser and / or throw an error?

KurayamiBlackheart

Phoenix of darkness.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh. So for games that have plugins based on NodeJS, they will not run on a browser and / or throw an error?
Any plugin that tries to write/read files, etc, are not compatibles with a browser deployment. because there are no such things for a browser deployed game.

Also some functions doesn't work on browser. You have to be careful about the plugins you use when you mind deploying on browser or android. Though if you only want to deploy on Windows/MAC, you don't need to mind the deployment compatibilities of the plugins.

CaraPrincess

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If so, is saving / loading save files still valid on browser exports of an RMMV game?

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes, of course, save files are stored in the Browser storage. Again, usually, you can upload any exported RPG Maker game without any limitations. Only if a plugin dev made a mistake or implements a very specific exceptional case, then those plugins will throw an error while launching the game.

Yes, but it'll save on your server and not on the computer of the player.
No, they are not saved on the server.

KurayamiBlackheart

Phoenix of darkness.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, of course, save files are stored in the Browser storage. Again, usually, you can upload any exported RPG Maker game without any limitations. Only if a plugin dev made a mistake or implements a very specific exceptional case, then those plugins will throw an error while launching the game.

No, they are not saved on the server.
Oh, they're saved by default locally ? Good to know.

EDIT : Yeah just noticed that, lol. Indeed it's saved locally, my bad.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Genuinely considering making a thread informing people how to Google.
It's time for Da Update...

Prototyping some overworld abilities. Some of the characters you'll meet on your journey can use special overworld skills to travel around. This can be something like digging holes in the ground or getting hints towards your next objective.

Even more things I made.
Equipping Abilities is very important.
fLhHhZjh.gif
demonow.jpg

Eniko: Ghosts Of Grace Alpha Demo is Officially LIVE on Steam!

>> DOWNLOAD AND PLAY THE DEMO ON STEAM NOW!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieFigure8