RMMV Limited Choice Time Battle System

Player-Unknown

"Ethan"
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm looking to add a timer to the default battle system. Couldn't find any plugins does what I'm looking for though.
Basically what I want is when the player is deciding on what to do for their turn in battle, a timer will tick down, and if they don't make all their choices in time, the actors who had their choice made will do them but the ones that didn't will either normal attack or just miss their turn.
This way the battle is always pushed to keep moving, while still keeping some strategy elements to it.
I feel like this would not a hard plugin to make, but I don't know anything about javascript so I can't figure it out. :/

I know there are plenty of battle systems that are 'active turn battle systems' but they just alter the turn order by having a meter increase for each actor then they go, someone could just sit on their turn and not choose what to do for the longest time ever and the characters will wait indefinitely. I want to keep the default turn based battle system but not allow the player to sit on their turn all day.

Last edited:

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
How about a full-active ATB system that lets battlers execute actions even when players can input actions for actors? The similar input time pressure's here, as the party will die rather quickly if the players do nothing and let the enemies slaugther the party.
Right now at least these ATB system plugins support full-active mode:
VE - Active Time Battle
KageDesu ATBs
DoubleX RMMV Popularized ATB Core

If that's not what you want, you need to state what other aspects of the battle system you're looking for, because the implementations of your requested feature greatly depends on the big picture.
For instance, adding your feature into the default battle system's already very, very different from adding that into an ATB system :)

Player-Unknown

"Ethan"
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
These are great, but not quite what I'm looking for.
I suppose I did kind of misspeak a bit.
What I want is simply the default turn based battle system, with limited time to input your actions.

So, literally just a timer that counts down during your decision making, forcing you to choose fast.
Not a timer counting down until you can make your decision or action.

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Does the timer apply to each actor(when a timer expires skips the input of the currently selected actor then proceed to the next inputable actor) or all actors(when a timer expires skips the input of all actors not having inputted actions then starts the battle turn)?

Player-Unknown

"Ethan"
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good question.
I'm thinking the second. Skipping all.
Though to make it fair on the player, the plugin could increase the timer depending on how many actors the party has through an evaluation or plugin command or something?

Player-Unknown

"Ethan"
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bumping this. (first time ever doing this so idk if I'm doing it right lol)

Player-Unknown

"Ethan"
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bumping again.
Also specifying since MZ is out, this is for MV.

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Too bad that my language is bad so I don't understand much.

You want the characters to be written every action with time. Seems difficult
Who do not know where to start from

And timing through every action is really difficult if there are just no actions. Has enough timers
In common event

Player-Unknown

"Ethan"
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Common events and timers?

I used plugins to stop timers from auto exiting battles, then tried a parallel common event to force an actor's action, didn't work; it still waits for player command input, and that force action is negated.
Seeing this didn't force skip the player input, I tried something different, I added a state to force the player to miss when the timer hits 0.
It worked and it didn't. It worked the first time I miss the timer but it only works once, it won't work for the rest of the battle despite the timer resetting.

I don't think conventional events is gonna help me here, common nor battle page.

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try this, it will force out of combat, add numbers on your way.

xaxaax.JPG

Player-Unknown

"Ethan"
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I... don't think you understood.
I'm not trying to exit the battle after a timer.
I'm trying to force an actor action after a timer.
When in battle, you make a choice on what your actor does in battle.
I want a timer that will force a choice if you don't choose in time.

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You must understand Javascript then wrote the schedule for himself, it was too specific.
When not doing anything, what does it mean? And then you gradually force them to attack with this

Example code (Enforces a combat action targeting Harold with the ID 9 skill (fired by default) to an enemy with ID 2)

Code:
this.iterateBattler(0, 1, function(battler) {
        if (!battler.isDeathStateAffected()) {
        battler.forceAction(9, 0)
        BattleManager.forceAction(battler)
        this.setWaitMode('action')
        }
        }.bind(this))

Player-Unknown

"Ethan"
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Forcing actor or enemy actions doesn't skip the selection screen.

This is probably my fault at failing to explain.
So, what I've done, is I made a video demonstrating what I want.

Please keep in mind, this footage is fake, so I haven't actually got a system like this working.

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
You may want to try this(Just used an hour to do this from scratch, but I'm out of time now, so I'll make a video and post this plugin in MV plugin section tomorrow) :)

Player-Unknown

"Ethan"
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks so much!
With the plugin command "actionInputTimer timerLimit 9" at the start of each turn of the battle. Works okay.
Although, I have noticed a bug.
After a turn goes by, when the timer runs out (or is not reset), something softlocks the battle.
Although, since like you said, you made this in just an hour, I'm sure there'll be bug fixes and stuff like that a little later on.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My best practices for a new amazing plugin by this author https://kagedesuworkshop.blogspot.com
Hark, I like trains.
Lost in a place were boiler, washing machine, internet & TV are broken. Nice experience, if only I didn't payed for such stuff.
Ami
--- Name Change ---

M.Healer: It's an Name Tag. You can Change your Name as you like.
Hero: Really? Then i want to Change my Name to be...
(In The Guild)
Guild Leader: Your name is...HeroIsDaBest1998.
Entire Party: (Holding Their Laugh)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rafabillor