Limiting what equipment players can purchase in an open world game.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My main project will have separate "city districts" that you can traverse, either through the streets themselves or the metro system. Of course, the issue with that is how do you limit what shops characters have access to, especially if most districts will be accessible from the start of the game. One solution is to make items more and more expensive, so that even if you have access, you currently can't afford items that are meant for later in the game. Another solution is to directly limit access to locations behind some roadblock. The second solution is not very immersive, especially if you want to develop a cohesive game world.

In other words, I'm kind of stuck and I'm not sure which method to implement.

shockra

Slightly Crazy Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yanfly has a plugin that accomplishes this:

This plugin will hide or show items in a shop based on which switches are on or off. Keep in mind two things with this plugin:

1. It also requires the Shop Menu Core to work.

2. You may have to pay a bit to use the plugins.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yanfly has a plugin that accomplishes this:

This plugin will hide or show items in a shop based on which switches are on or off. Keep in mind two things with this plugin:

1. It also requires the Shop Menu Core to work.

2. You may have to pay a bit to use the plugins.
Is there a version for VX Ace? I don't have MV.

shockra

Slightly Crazy Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't see any in Yanfly's VX Ace scripts. Someone else may have created something that functions similarly, but I don't know for certain.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
you can create a simple condition to check for progression and enable certain goods in an array, which would then be passed to the shop.
but the call to the shop itself would have to be modified to introduce that intermediate step, and ignore the call via the event block (which is the standard method).

one quick workaround, would be to create a new shop window identical to the standard one, but with that extra step added to it.
and since it's a copy, it wouldn't require modifying the shop system itself.

how exactly do you want it to work?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could use a specific conditional branch and a city switch or check if player has an specific item
from the city itself in order to buy items from it like a reputation of trust?

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So im sensing a Metro/Fallout/something modern/post apocalyptic style game here so here are some ideas:

Price: A freshly started adventurer/survivor/scavenger/murder hobo wont have the capital to buy a flaming 6 barreled shotgun of zombielsaying even if they can enter the shop and ask for the price, hey bonus points for realism! You think you can buy a Porsche just because you can walk into the car shop?

Reputation system: maybe you can access the city slums but that doesnt mean the shady black market dealers will be willing to sell you stuff, oh no, its sidequest time! Besides adding extra excuses for sidequests the player can see if they're worth or not if they can check the shop in advance and choose which faction to support so they can get gear according to their playstyle.

Weapon proficency/level/skill: even if you somehow murdered 2000 giant mutant rats and got rich by selling giant rat tails what makes you think you can actually wield the flaming 6 barreled shotgun of zombielsaying? After all killing rats isnt much weightlifting so you're lacking strenght, and you arent that dexterous with shotguns yet so you cant avoid bashing yourself with the recoil and be the one slain, you can apply this by either a direct level requirement a perk/passive skill system or a weapon dexterity additional system, up to you.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So im sensing a Metro/Fallout/something modern/post apocalyptic style game here...
You wouldn't be too far off. It's cyberpunk with DnDesque systems.

Price: A freshly started adventurer/survivor/scavenger/murder hobo wont have the capital to buy a flaming 6 barreled shotgun of zombielsaying even if they can enter the shop and ask for the price, hey bonus points for realism! You think you can buy a Porsche just because you can walk into the car shop?

Reputation system: maybe you can access the city slums but that doesnt mean the shady black market dealers will be willing to sell you stuff, oh no, its sidequest time! Besides adding extra excuses for sidequests the player can see if they're worth or not if they can check the shop in advance and choose which faction to support so they can get gear according to their playstyle.

Weapon proficency/level/skill: even if you somehow murdered 2000 giant mutant rats and got rich by selling giant rat tails what makes you think you can actually wield the flaming 6 barreled shotgun of zombielsaying? After all killing rats isnt much weightlifting so you're lacking strenght, and you arent that dexterous with shotguns yet so you cant avoid bashing yourself with the recoil and be the one slain, you can apply this by either a direct level requirement a perk/passive skill system or a weapon dexterity additional system, up to you.
These are all great ideas! I'm definitely keeping the pricing sytem, and will probably impliment some version of stat requirements. The reputation system is another useful one, as the player can join criminal organizations if they want.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This one slipped under the radar.

@Ninjakillzu and @shockra and @gstv87 and @ShadowDragon and @Andar
'General Discussion' is not about implementation. That belongs in the Support forum for the engine being used. Therefore please do not continue making suggestions for plugins (no good for Ace anyway), switches, conditional branches etc.

@Ninjakillzu also please note that General Discussion is not for feedback on individual, specific games but for looking at broad themes which affect the making of games. If you want this to be about your project (in which case, suggestions for implementation would be fine) then this needs to be moved to 'Games Ideas and Prototypes'. Please post to say if you want this to be a broad-based discussion or if it should be moved.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Please post to say if you want this to be a broad-based discussion or if it should be moved.
I would move it to the "Games Ideas and Prototypes".

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay then.

Game Ideas and Prototypes

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could have the shops be accessible, but if the player isn't far enough along in the game, the shopkeepers could snub their noses and kick them out because, based on the gear they're wearing/equipped, they clearly don't have enough money to shop there, or are not the "types" of customers they want in their shop.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If your just looking for an immersive way of implementing new shop inventory as time progresses in game, then you could have the player complete some quest that allows for new shipments to get to the town. Or you could rescue a item-maker character from a rival gang. With a little brainstorming you could come up with quite a few ways to get more shop inventory besides just having invisible switches being turned on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Benku wrote on Magnus0808's profile.
Hey man you helped me out a long time ago with a plugin i was wondering if you can help me out one more time since its literally the last thing i need help with if not is cool but id figured id ask you one more soild.
Stream will be live shortly with a guest stream! Tonight, a new guest joins~ Feel free to drop by!
Finally told my boss I need a day off. Tomorrow will be my first in 23 days.
Kind of a goofy question but has the pandemic inspired you in any way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laser_Kirin