Limits in Tilesets(Large scale building)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Xuwboss, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Xuwboss

Xuwboss Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is meant for all makers.
    Has anyone attempted to remake a famous building or a sports stadium in a game?
    I know that there is only 5 tabs that can be used on a map ( I don't know what the R tab is).
    An Example would be Fenway park in Boston. Is it possible to make such a building on the software or is that a technical impossibility?

2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    R tab is regions. You can paint regions onto your map. They will not be visible. A common example is that you can set enemies to roam a certain region. There are plugins that allow for expanded use of them.

At any rate, to answer your question - I don't see why you couldn't make such a large building, and how large you want to portray will effect the best method. If you're wanting to make it to scale of the sprites, then you have to keep in mind that it is likely the player will never see a large part of it due to the limitations of screen resolution and where the sprite can walk.

If you have the right autotiles, you could do at least parts of it using that. Another option would be to create the large building as a parallax image and import that part into the map.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Doing a large building is not dependent on the number of tabs you have for tiles, but how big your map is, and how well you use your tiles. Take a skyscraper, for example. 40-50 floors high. But you'd probably use only one tab (i.e. one tile sheet) plus some auto tiles on tab A to make most of it because each floor is no different to the floor below and above it. No need to parallax, all you need to do is to plan it carefully.

Of course, if you want it as a pre-set so that all you have to do is copy/paste it, then yes, you could have problems with the number of tiles you would need - but why do it that way?

4. Xuwboss

Xuwboss Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was asking cause my game is going to be based in my city and I would want my PCs to walk around a stadium and would allow the player to see the details of the stadium as would a ordinary pedestrian would see if they where outside it.
    (I'm from Pittsburgh and I'm talking about Heinz Field & PNC Park)

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm not from Pittsburgh, or even the US, so I'm afraid your allusion means nothing to me. But your question was whether doing something like this is a technical possibility. So I repeat, the answer is yes, depending on how you go about it. You would have to create at least some tiles, as you are unlikely to find any very specific ones already out there. You are not going to get photo realism - and if you could, would you really want it as it would clash with everything else?

6. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    And my point was, that you'd really only need to make the bottom of it. The player would never see the entirety of it, if you are trying to make it to scale.

Looking at a google picture of Heinz stadium - you could probably utilize tiles in the SF_Outside set for a lot of it. Now, if you want it to be the side where you could maybe see inside to the stands - that may be more difficult and will require getting the right tiles for it created.

7. jayray

jayray Jay Ray Games and Art Design- Oklahoma City, OK Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Another way you can get the desired effect is to add pictures. There are plenty of Bind Pictures to Map plugins... Now you can add all those unique details that aren't Tilemaps as Pictures! OR.... use Yanfly's Grid Free Doodads and add them that way... But like they said, you probably won't see a lot of the stadium as it would never be accessed by the player. And if so... breaking the map up into multiple maps for things like the field, the nosebleeds, the dugout, underneath in the locker rooms, can help with that immersion and detail you're trying to accomplish.