A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there! I have already introduced myself as a new guy in the Introduction forum. I wanted to know the limits of this engine. I wanted to maybe change things around to make a different game like turn the game into an action RPG where you fight real time not by turns, have the characters to physically transform, add aura to characters, have the characters be able to fight each other or anything else. Would I need to learn to script/code(JS)? Would I need extra graphics for it?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes to both, you'll need scripts and most probably additional graphics.

That said, the only limit of the engine is the time and work you put into it - MV has completely open code in javascript, that means anything can be changed. And there are a lot of people that are already planning to write plugins for more functions.

For comparison: Ace, the previous version, had some hidden classes in the code so some things couldn't be changed and is about 4 years old. In that time the community wrote about a thousand scripts to change functions in Ace - including scripts to turn Ace into action RPGs, Platform games, Visual Novel Engines and more.

Just check the master script list for Ace, it's linked at several places in the forum.

It will take MV some time to get to the same level, but it is generally expected to surpass Ace in the script/plugin area simply because it no longer has hidden classes and can output to more devices (making it more interessant to have a diversity of games programmed in it)

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you want to do things exactly the way you have in mind, you will need to learn to code (or hire someone willing to make it for you).

If you're willing to sacrifice a little bit of flexibility for ease, you can certainly wait for the inevitable Action Battle System scripts that people will make for MV.  If you're unfamiliar with Pearl ABS, Sapphire Action System, Moghunter's XAS, you can check those out for examples of what kind of stuff has been done in VX Ace.  You'll also be able to event an Action Battle System yourself and it's a lot easier than learning code, but in general that's much less precise and scalable so it's best for small games you're not intending to bring commercial.

Niiru

RPG Fans
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
if u realize until now, if you try the demo game in their official website, the html5 version music synchronization still bad and buggy. And for the android and ios still not guaranteed. We dont know yet.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no - the synchronisation depends on your internet connection, a lot of people had the demo playable without any bugs. And since android and ios will be local apps, there will be no download synch problem there.

Niiru

RPG Fans
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
a good engine create client-friendly games. Enabling user to play greatly on low benchmark devices and low-high internet connection. My internet connection speed is 330KB/s already dude. It just means that RM-MV needs a better file compression technology.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sorry, but 330KB/s is not a good connection.  Even an average connection round where I live is about 15Mb/s.  So I wouldn't want to use your experience as any broad indication of the engine's possibilities.  

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Sorry, but 330KB/s is not a good connection.  Even an average connection round where I live is about 15Mb/s.  So I wouldn't want to use your experience as any broad indication of the engine's possibilities.
I'm sure the average person in the world does not have that kind of internet connection. Or maybe I just live in a country where internet is monopolized.

Which is the point: while an engine may be extremely powerful, it's limited by what your players can actually get out of it.

If you've built a game specifically for 4K TV's, that can easily make it inaccessible for a lot of people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Then it is definitely down to the developer to make an accessible game.  Blaming the engine because of the consequences of slow connection speeds just strikes me as way off the mark.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Basic fact is, everything in a browser depends on the connection speed. And That speed is highly dependent on where you live, but not in the control of the developer.

And they cannot reduce the connection requirements too much, because that would reduce the data of the game.

I remember a time when someone was lucky to have 64KB/s - currently most companies offer up to 50MB/s for a price (16MB/s is usually affordable around here), but that cannot be delivered everywhere even in my country, more remote places are still limited to 4MBs or 8MBs or lower.

But it's a lot more than 333KB/s.

But that means in your area, you'll have to use local downloaded games, not HTML5-variants. And MV still allows that, even for more systems as previous versions (Win-PC, Mac, Android, iOS).

Marsigne

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Remember guys (in case someone doesn't know): Mb/s that internet companies offer are not the same as download speeds (KB/s). 330KB/s equals roughly to about 3Mb/s connection theorically (3Mb/s literally equals to 375KB/s but it may go lower depending on the company's networking), which is acceptably for low-end networking (but still not good if you need higher speeds like streaming and demanding stuff in general). For example, my max download speed is 340KB/s (but it mostly peaks at 300KB/s because I am not the only one using the connection), and it can play games like Call of Duty (BO2, AW, etc.) fine on 3 bars, that is whenever someone doesn't stream Youtube videos or something that soaks the connection.

For the problem of synchronization, It could be the server load as I remember playing it fine before (though my brother is playing agar.io so I don't know if that contributes xD). I'll keep ya updated if I can play it fine later.

If I don't get a problem later, then it's because it's the server load and not a limitation of the engine (so yeah, this is on-topic :p ).

whoami

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I guess that is a limitation of the engine, but it seems like you could easily work around it.

Don't use big 4MB music files like the demo uses. Choose shorter, smaller files instead.

or

Compress your sound files using an external program until you get a smaller file size.

or

Write a plug-in that pre-caches all required assets before a map loads.

Warabeskel

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
a good engine create client-friendly games. Enabling user to play greatly on low benchmark devices and low-high internet connection. My internet connection speed is 330KB/s already dude. It just means that RM-MV needs a better file compression technology.
330KB/s = 0.32227 MB/s

Not to be confused MB/s is not == Mbps, like mostly all internet provider use that word 

so you have mostly a 2.5 Mbps internet speed, i think you need a better connection speed your are under Costa Rica average speed and above Bolivia if i refer to Akamai (5.1 Mbps is the average speed in the world)

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Your imagination.

Maybe if you wanted to do a browser-based game, you should do it in episodes. I would do this if I wasn't making my dream game a novel as well.

metronome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (Sure!)
Primarily Uses
Errr..........

not sure how to answer this. But if you can make a "metal gear solid 5" in rpgmaker MV with the same (or even better) graphic quality and game control than the original one (I am a noob so I don't know if this is doable though....), then the limit is your........time and money.

LOL!

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
bssszzz I used to have a 20kb/ second internet....this was a pain....

but anyways~

Niiru

RPG Fans
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey, will there be Steam Workshop integration to RPG MAker MV?

Niiru

RPG Fans
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
hey ksjp17, how do you make android version of your game "Undefeated"? It is published before RPG maker mv is released right? How to convert to android?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is not an official answer, but I imagine there would be, based on it existing for Ace.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Neil, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

hey ksjp17, how do you make android version of your game "Undefeated"? It is published before RPG maker mv is released right? How to convert to android?
There never was an official answer to the converter ksjp17 beta-tested, but in the topics where he wrote about it he said that it was a pain to use, you basically had to write the game for the converter (not the other way around). And then there is a post on the steam forums where Archaiea hinted that the problems with that converter were one reason for the rewrite into Javascript.

Wait a moment, I'll see if I can find that post again.

Edit:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/363890/discussions/0/483366528907512660/

It's answer #5 in that topic

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It does sometimes get a little embarrassing that I often come here to ask for help with something and seldom have anything to actually show for it. If there is one thing though I can commend myself for, it's for sticking with an idea I've been tinkering with for this long now and gradually making headways. Even though I've been reserved about my progress, I can say I'm farther now than where I initially started.
I'm gonna put my project on pause for a tiny bit so I can explore the engine outside of it... Winging it can only get you so far LMFAO
Have seen some of my favorite people here posting and helping others with questions today -- love to see it!
Haven't been on here actively in awhile, project is going strong my biggest issue is the STORY, i'm refining the plot and learning so much i decided to take a writers class to improve even more but the programming and functionality of the game is stepping up nicely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Staples