Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Linked Variables

by Shaz

Introduction

This plugin allows you to link variables to commands, so the command is evaluated and returned as the value of the variable. This allows you to use a variable in a conditional branch rather than a script call, or perhaps a series of commands to obtain a value and then check if it meets the condition (for example, "what is the region code of the tile where the player is standing?", which would take 3 event commands plus the conditional branch).

How to use

Add to your plugins folder (file name is not important, but I use LinkedVariables.js). There are no parameters to set.

You can either modify the script to add all the commands you want to link to variables, or you can set them up via plugin commands. Plugin commands remove the need to edit scripts, but mean the commands will be saved in each save file, and therefore could be manipulated by the player.

To set up links via the script, locate this section and add your commands in the appropriate format (the example below results in the party leader's HP being available through variable 1) - the example is commented out, but obviously you would not have comments on your lines:

Code:
//===========================================================================
// Add variable commands here to build with the game rather than in save file
// eg:
// variableLinks[1] = '$gameParty.leader().hp' 
//===========================================================================
To set up links via a plugin command, enter the plugin command in the appropriate format:
Code:
LinkVariable 1 $gameParty.leader().hp
Plugin
Download from pastebin

Credit

- Shaz

Terms

- free for use in commercial games

Notes

- this may not be reliable when used as a condition on an event page, as the conditions are only checked when a map refresh is requested. Only some actions that happen in a game cause this kind of refresh.

Feel free to post the kind of information you want to link to a variable below, and whether you'd like to link it in the script or via a plugin command, and I (and others) will tell you the appropriate command to use.

Last edited:

Ramiro

Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Shaz, I love this idea, and its pretty interesting.

As a suggestion, maybe another good plugin parameter would be:

UnlinkVariable <id>to remove the link attached.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could possibly just do

Code:
LinkVariable 1
and it might put null in there. Might have to test it.

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Shaz!
I was looking into your plugin, and i really like this ideia.
I understand correctly, if i'm use it and change the script to link my variables, i dont need to use control variables anymore, right?
I try to use that an make as the follows:

So i go to check if the variable 4 is equal to the leader hp:
◆Change HP:Entire Party, - 10
◆Text:None, Window, Bottom
: :\V[4]

But i get the result 0.

I do it right? Or this pherhaps this plugin dont work anymore?
RM MV 1.6.1

[EDIT] Nevermind... i'm dumb xD uhauahuahahahua
It worked now!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
lol! Love it :D

The sad thing is, it would have taken me an embarrassing length of time to figure out what you did wrong!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

JDgoldvox wrote on Mr. Detective's profile.
hey, could u help me with a problem? basically, How do I delete a character from a map after a cut scene is over? I am really new with RPG maker MV. Please help!
The most rewarding part of making custom body character parts is absolutely not making the masks work. Somebody please put me out of my misery.
Any commercial devs here ever mess with Gamejolt? Been contemplating making my games available there but don't know if it's worth the effort or not.
Social distancing taught me of how much of not a loner I am. Dammit, I miss seeing my friends...
Happy 4th of July all. Anybody have plans? Mine here is staying home away from the virus. Still a nice 3 day weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
superfluffy