Neoz Kaho

Crazy Historian
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
Personally, I think character's details of the old one is better and there shouldn't be a dividing line in the text box. Though I find the style of the new one fitting to your game better. :)  

Cartridge

It's all about the guns, man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
I actually liked the FE edits D:

But nobody really has permission to use FE faces, do they?

Looking forward to a demo!

PixelLuchi

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@Cartridge: I used the FE edits in my older version of Enelysion. They're ok to use as long as you're not going commercial. :] And keep up the great work, bp. Still one of my fav projects ( and SSP, of course ).

blueperiod

At night above our sleeping heads
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks, Luchi! I actually might go back to the FE facesets, not sure yet. There a lot more of them to mess around with and are a lot easier to edit. I love the RTP-style though. Argh... I can't decide. :(

PixelLuchi

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Depends on what works for you in the long run. :] Personally, I still prefer the FE edits ( since your storyline seems more in tow with the art style as well, and FE games usually have serious story lines ).

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Here's a new video preview! It's a bit long/uneventful, but I haven't uploaded anything for my youtube subscribers in a while, so eh. I thought I'd share it here as well. :)

Gomi Boy

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
the truth
Primarily Uses
Damn, but it must be difficult to see anything in this game.

Elude

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Argh, I've been a fan of Linus for a long time. I've finally decided to get off my behind and say something for once XD. I downloaded the demo sometime...last year(?), but I only played it recently. 

I loved reading the dialogue! I am honestly jealous of your writing :p . The storytelling was the strongest aspect of the demo. The dialogue felt so realistic I sometimes forgot it was a game ._.Even though the face portraits only had one emotion, I could definitely tell what the characters were feeling just by reading the dialogue. I don't even know how you wrote Linus' dialogue so well. Kid dialogue is supposed to be one of the hardest thing to write, but you managed to make Linus sound like a kid AND stay in-character with the setting/time. (Linus seems to prefer scampering in the woods over many things. That kid, I wonder how he's going to fare at Etonmarch :p ) Leigh is my favorite character at this point. He's a bit of a brat, but he's mature and has a good grasp of what's going on. Though, after what he had to go through, it's pretty hard not to be mature(then again, he could have completely lost it. I don't know how to put things in spoilers so I'm just going to vaguely reference events *shifts eyes*). I'm going to look forward to encounters between Linus and Leigh (if they occur XD). It'd be interesting to see how Leigh grew up under those circumstances. 

alajfdlas, the font is awesome-cakes. I don't know what font you used, it looks really familiar, but I love it! On that note, I also love your UI. It's pretty and usable! The sound effects that go along with it are strangely addicting to listen. I like scrolling in the Menu and looking at items. <_<. 

Just a side note, I found the thread introduction slightly confusing. It says " He is a socialite who loves to throw parties for his fellow noble friends. He also dreams of adventure, of sailing the ocean and traveling to exotic faraway lands. He is highly intelligent in matters of history, politics, music, and art, but there is one thing that Linus refuses any part of-- War" and then goes on to say "But, as they say, it only takes one day to change someone's life forever...In the summer of Linus' twelfth year, a letter arrives at his family's manor." Does that mean that at age twelve, Linus is already a socialite who loves to throw parties and is highly intelligent? The chronology seems jumbled, but it might just be me XD.

Anyway, good luck with the game. I can't wait to see it completed :)

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
^Oh wow, thanks for the kind words!

That demo is pretty old and when I released it, not many people got a chance to play it, so it's cool to finally hear a bit of feedback on it. The story has undergone a few changes since that demo, and so have the characters. Linus himself is slightly different, as in this iteration of the game he's less of a precocious brat and more of a pint-sized intellectual. I've also upped his age up to 13. As for Leigh, wow, I never thought he would be anybody's favorite character in that demo :p . He's going to be pretty much the same character, but I've decided to make him a bit friendlier during his childhood years. And yes, Leigh, Linus and Arilan (Linus' sickly twin brother) will have a very dramatic relationship during the story. :p

Anyway, thanks again for the encouragement, and for giving me some feedback on that demo!

Last edited by a moderator:

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've made a new support bar for the game to replace that horrid old one. Put in your sig if you want to show support!

Code:
[URL="http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/4484-linus/"][img=http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/5760/locker/linus_support_2.png][/URL]

Elude

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Aw! I got a bit of Linus' personality, but he's still kind of an elusive character since I haven't seen much of him. Old version Linus was adorable in his own way, but I'm excited to see what changes his character undergoes! In terms of favorites, Manech was a close second. He was a smart guy :p . I miss him already XD. Yay for Leigh. Being friendly is good! I can't wait for the three of them to meet each other, seeing as how they're *half-brothers* and all. I mean, Leigh did seem to look up to his father a lot in the demo and now a pair of half siblings just pop out of nowhere (well, not really)...

I have a question, if you don't mind answering XD. Athelia seems pretty ruthless and open with her threats. Why didn't she simply kill off Emily to ensure that Leigh would be the only heir?

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Elude

No problem, ask all the questions you want!

Even though they're separated, Athelia still needs Teign as he is a feared and respected knight who possesses the loyalty of all the soldiers, so killing Emily, the woman he loves, would piss him off quite a bit and would lead to trouble for Athelia. Also, as powerful as she is, Athelia can't just go around murdering people in the open, especially not someone like Emily, who's a world-renowned author and is known far-and-wide as Teign's paramour. As for Emily becoming pregnant with two possible heirs, that was an unforeseen event that caught Athelia off-guard. Athelia did have a counter-measure for that in place (a draught which Teign was unknowingly taking-- it's kind of hinted at in the demo), but apparently it didn't end up working.

By the way, all of this will be explained further in the next demo. :)

As for Linus, he's still going to be a bit of a goofy, fun-loving kid, but he will be a lot smarter than most kids his age. Unlike a lot of main characters, Linus won't be a substitute for the player, as he isn't someone with amnesia or a country yokel who requires every single thing to be explained to him. For the player's benefit, the world and the background story elements will be conveyed in a much more organic matter-- think museum exhibits, books, and plays that Linus can go to. Linus himself is a modern person (relative to the time period) who'll have his own opinions on things and will already have a sort of genre-saavy knowledge of the world around him. So yeah, he's not talented in matters of combat but he does possess a surprising amount of cunning and intelligence. That's going to be his main strength, I think.

Oh and you mentioned the sound effects for the cursor movement and selecting earlier. I'm not sure if anyone's noticed, but those are actually the sounds from a typewriter. I thought it'd fit with Linus' mother being an author and the fact that the game unfolds more like a novel than a traditional RPG. :p

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey guys. Just a small update to let you guys know that the game isn't actually dead. Development continues... a0nd that's about it as far as updates go. I did create a twitter account that will act as a quasi-development/update feed. Check it out if you want to read random updates on the game-- though I must admit that I am fairly bad at using Twitter, so the updates might not be totally frequent. Anyway, here's the twitter handle: https://twitter.com/blueperiod1

(BTW-- If you're also an RPGMaker developer and are on twitter, I'd love to follow you!)

Oh and while we're at it, here are two new random screenshots.

alanis.png

This is Alanis Russeau, a character who will have a fairly important role in the game. As you can probably tell, the Russeau family is really into purple.

summerlands.png

From a short expository section which contextualizes the war that's taking place during the beginning of the game. The text here is placeholder, as I still haven't figured out how to make those neat curvy location names that you see in classic fantasy maps. For now, the text is just boring and vanilla-- with no cool curving letters. :(

Here's a larger, more zoomed out version of the above map. 

continental_map.png

This is a map of the continent the game takes place in, but there are other landmasses to the east as well (across the Silver Sea).

Thanks for reading!

PixelLuchi

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@bp: Why don't you use an image instead for those expository sections? Then you can use any font you wish. I can tell you how, if you're interested. :) I'm thinking of doing the same thing for the intro in Enelysion. Loving that world map, btw.

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I was talking about the font on the map itself, not the text windows. You know how in fantasy maps the font is always super-fancy and stuff? I was referring to that and how the font on my map is just very plain and boring. :p

PixelLuchi

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Ah, I see. Well, I shall wait rather impatiently while you get the newest demo out. :) I still have the real old one and its still great.

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Here's a bit of old art I found and decided to colour (badly).

Linus_art.png

This is Linus at age 16-ish. The line art was created by Homunculus, a member at the old rpgmakervx.net forum.

Sonem

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
OMG, I love Linus! I thought it was a dead VX project, I'm so glad to see you are still developing it! :D

Do you know when in this year will you release the demo? (If not the next one)

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks! The demo doesn't have a concrete release yet. Next year definitely. Hopefully during the first quarter.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was being lazy and just copied a map to test a new parallax, but I forgot to delete all the events. This was the result. :o
just finished a bunch of art commissions! im really grateful for this community- people have helped me out so much here- so im just trying to return the favor the only way i know how! :0)
Ami
--- Fan Art ---

F.Mage: Phew...after finishing the Gathering Quest,i can take a break with my Phone. Let's see,what's new in the Fan Art Gallery
(3 Minutes Later,The Fan Art Of F.Healer & F.Mage Pecking Each Other Appeared)
F.Mage: (Spit The Water) WHAT THE HELL!!!
(Meanwhile)
M.Knight: (Nosebleeding) Nice Scenery!
trying to figure my way around the basic functions of Construct 3 and OH GOD MY BRAIN. I'm starting to think that developing decades of RPG Maker skills might have a downside.
I miss my VXA project, so I might be rushing for RSE. Dropping a random progress report

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Verdux