JayDee15

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
@BluePeriod:

Hahaha. Yeah, Aldor is undergoing a deeper renovation. I have finished the map (hand-drawn) and its features, I have the plot model already done; but I haven't worked on anything visual yet. I've been browsing over scripts and resources now and then, but that's about it. Then, there is college--well, university--studies... As for your review, since I feel like you're more active on RMN, I'll post it there, if you don't mind. :)

blueperiod

At night above our sleeping heads
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
^Awesome! Can't wait to read it, Jay. :)

JayDee15

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
@BluePeriod:
I posted it today. You can go look it up, when you have time. I certainly don't have an article writer's vocabulary, but I think (and I hope) I get my point across. LOL!

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wanted to go and read it, but rmn is down? (I'm enjoying the demo so far!)

Dark_Metamorphosis

What a horrible night to have a curse.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I cant download the demo? :(

JayDee15

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
@BluePeriod:

There seems to be a protection before I downloaded mine: that thing where it checks if you're a robot. Took me about 3 tries before I could download it. Maybe that's what they're referring to. Or maybe they didn't notice that you have to do a check-up... :/

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for the head up, Jaydee. Seems like mediafire is blocking the download because it contains certain musical files. I've updated the download link and it should work fine for everyone now. :)

Dark_Metamorphosis

What a horrible night to have a curse.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
That's weird. I'm still able to download the demo from Mediafire. What's going wrong on your end?
My bad, I should have been more in-depth about why I couldn't download it instead of just writing it out. Brief moment of misplaced-thinking from my part there xD Glad someone could give you a heads-up though, and I'm eager to test the demo! :)

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey guys!

Here's a few profiles for some of the primary characters of the game. 

***​
 ​
 ​
 ​

linus_rm.png

Linus Milhaven 

Son of Lord Teign and Emily, Linus is a bright and charming 13-year old boy with a wide spectrum of interests and opinions about the world. Wise beyond his years, Linus was born during a time of peace in the empire and unlike other members of his family, who have historically been brought up to become great knights and generals, the boy has decided to walk an entirely different path. 

Although very young, Linus considers himself an intellectual who possesses an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. Though he is studious and prone to get lost in his own head at times, Linus is no wilting wallflower. He is a sociable and charming boy who delights in meeting new people while using his razor-sharp wit to talk his way out of most bad situations he finds himself in. Indeed, it is said that there is no one who Linus hasn't met that he can't succeed in befriending. 

Due to the events that led to Lord Teign's current comatose condition, Linus and his brother Ari have been left without a father. Seeing Lord Teign, a once heralded soldier now confined to a bed who can no loner speak, hear, or see, Linus abhors the concept of war and how it ruins the lives of those it touches. Owing to this, Linus has somewhat naively vowed to never raise up arms against another human being. A childhood spent reading and internalizing anti-war propaganda has only added to Linus' strict pacifist stance. 

Linus possesses a deep interest in foreign cultures and plans on going on a grand odyssey throughout the world some day with his brother Ari when the two are older. He has already begun to learn several foreign languages in anticipation of this great journey. 

Ari_rm.png

Ari Milhaven

Ari, Linus' twin brother, is a 13-year old boy with an unconquerable spirit. Brave and heedless to danger, Ari is a quiet and somber boy who refuses to allow the hand life has dealt him affect his dreams and goals. 

Born at death's doorstep due to a mysterious illness that almost claimed him in the womb, Ari has always been a frail and sickly boy. The disease that sleeps in his blood severely weakens his immune system, thus Ari must suffer every scrape and scratch sustained while playing in the dirt as though they were mortal wounds, for his blood does not clot as it should and he is more prone to sickness and injury than other children. 

Ari has had a procession of doctors treat him throughout the years, yet none have found a cure for his illness. Despite this, there burns a fierce determination in Ari that has allowed him to endure his sickness with a brave face. When it comes to his personality, Ari is the polar opposite of his twin brother Linus. He is often quiet and reserved, and must be convinced by Linus to participate in their activities. While Linus is generally cheerful and quick to laugh, Ari is often moody and angry, a trait which Linus pokes fun of by way of giving Ari the nickname 'Lord Grumpy'. Still, despite the differences in their temperaments and the fact that they can rarely agree on anything, Ari loves his brother and would defend Linus from anyone who would ever dare hurt him. 

Unlike his brother, Ari finds an enduring inspiration from the tales that the manor guards tell of his father's unrivaled fighting skills and of Lord Teign's exploits during the war. A childhood spent being enraptured by these tales has led to Ari adopting a seemingly impossible dream-- to become a knight as renowned and skilled as his lord father. 

Ari has a deep obsession with horror fiction, and has an unabashed love for stories about zombies. 

nasrin_topic.png

Nasrin 

Nasrin is a young woman hailing from the desert kingdom of Mein Exan. Despite having spent her entire childhood trained by her ex-gladiator father in the ways of killing men quickly, Nasrin is a warm and protective soul who loathes cruelty and desires most to punish those who hurt others unjustly. Nasrin is Linus' most trusted companion, his secret-keeper and confidant, and in their shared enduring of the brutal years within the Etonmarch Militrary College, the two have grown to become more family than friends. 

Before Etonmarch, Nasrin's family served the Sareths, a minor merchant house of Mein Exan, first as slaves and most recently as devoted retainers after Nasrin's father, the gladiator Suhaym of the Wind, won his family their freedom in a duel to the death against a rival house's champion. Despite no longer being shackled to servitude, Suhaym declared absolute loyalty to the Sareths and decreed that all his line should serve the house faithfully. 

In return for this declaration of fealty, and for shaming his lord's most hated rival on the colosseum sands, Nasrin's father was allowed to name whatever reward he wished for. Suhaym of the Wind asked for one thing-- for his youngest daughter, Nasrin, to carry out the dream that had once been his own-- to be granted entrance into the legendary Etonmarch School, so that she may rise to become a war leader that all the world would recognize. Despite the exorbant cost to gain admission into the school, Lord Sareth agreed to Suhaym's wish, and sponsored Nasrin unconditionally. 

Nasrin, who had thus far lived her life in servitude as a handmaiden and bodyguard to Lord Sareth's eldest daughter, had no choice but to accept. Her father's impossible dreams draping her shoulders, and with them the hopes of her patron house, Nasrin journeyed to the Greylands, a land of storm and flood completely unknown to her, to enlist within the brutal academy and face her future.

ezra_profile.png

Ezra 

An orphan born in the ghettos of post-war Odeus, Ezra is a young man with a dark and complex destiny ahead of him. 

Growing up in the impoverished and brutal streets of Aternelle's capital after its fall to the armies of the Greylands, Ezra has suffered through a childhood that no child should ever experience. Hunger, death, and cruelty are all Ezra knows, and as such the young man has cultivated a dark hatred for all Greylanders as a result. 

In the twelve years since the war's ending, Aternelle has transformed from one of the most prosperous kingdoms in the empire to a crumbling ward state where native Aternellans are treated little better than animals by the incumbent Greylander nobility-- a new social caste comprised of the families of high-ranking soldiers who fought in the war. These foreign governors, who have been rewarded with the estates, lands and titles of the former Aternellan nobility, have lorded over the former grand city of Odeus, picking at its corpse like vultures as the native populace suffers and starves under their rule. 

Due to the inhuman way the native Aternellans are treated and the fact that the rest of the empire has turned a blind eye to their plight, a nascent resistance has formed among the populace. In recent years, the Aternellan resistance has grown more and more bold, with organized strikes occurring against the occupiers. 

The native resistance dreams of an Aternelle free from the rule of the Greylands, and in their infancy they are desperate to gain whatever ground they can. Because of this, the leaders of the resistance have chosen to use whatever unsavory methods lie at their disposal in order to further their cause-- their recruitment of children as street soldiers proving a divisive but necessary practice. 

Ezra is one of these recruited child soldiers, and despite his caretakers, the former knight Peter Laurent and his wife Elizabeth, warning him not to get involved in the resistance, Ezra heartily ignores them. Though he is still a boy no older than thirteen, Ezra has demonstrated a keen and brilliant mind when it comes to battle strategy and the boy's ambition knows no bounds. He has lost many friends to the malice of the foreign nobles who rule over his city, and the boy only dreams of one thing--- to answer the cruelty the Greylanders have inflicted upon Aternelle with cruelty of his own.

Last edited by a moderator:

JayDee15

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
@BluePeriod:

It's hard to keep track of all your posts! LOL! It's good, though. It means you're very active in your game development. On a second note, is Ari 12 or 13? (It's just a typo, I suppose. Nothing serious). Keep it up, though. Can't wait to see the world through these characters' eyes.

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oops! Thanks for the correction, Jay. Although I suppose he can be considered to be 12 years old at some point in the story, since Linus and Ari celebrate their 13th birthday in their first chapter. :p

shayoko

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
aside from my preference of females leads and a certain event in the demo i really don't care for.

this game is REALLY good and ill defiantly come back to it if/when its finished.

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the game here, shayoko. Regarding your point on female leads, I plan on giving Nasrin (who's profile I just posted above) quite a significant part in the story-- enough to consider her one of the game's lead characters. So in a way, the game does have a female lead of sorts :p . The game is named after Linus the character, but that's only because of the role he'll play in the mythos of the storyline. The entirety of the game doesn't revolve specifically around him. All of the main characters will have their own stories and such that Linus won't be involved with 100% of the time.

shayoko

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
ahh thats somewhat rare way way of story telling

only games i can think of like that are demonic tutor and corpse party(not that i can really call each characters event a story more like situation) :3

im surprised with that unfair backstory she is not a psychotic murder.i know id be if my douce bag of a father attempted to decide not only my fate but even the fate of those not even born!?

that's still slavery!

all those fights must fo damaged his brain! : D

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
ahh thats somewhat rare way way of story telling

only games i can think of like that are demonic tutor and corpse party(not that i can really call each characters event a story more like situation) :3

im surprised with that unfair backstory she is not a psychotic murder.i know id be if my douce bag of a father attempted to decide not only my fate but even the fate of those not even born!?

that's still slavery!

all those fights must fo damaged his brain! : D
Ha ha, well, now that you mention it-- children struggling against the burdens placed on them is one of the game's main themes. Linus, Ari, Nasrin, Ezra and Leigh (Teign's firstborn son) are all living with the burdens of other people on their shoulders, and it's up to them to either defy the fates that have been decided for them or to accept their predefined destinies. It's all supposed to be symbolism for real life concepts-- i.e the clashing between the free will of children and the gravitational pull/influence of adults.

blueperiod

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey all!

Here's a preview showing the first ten minutes of Chapter I. It does contain some spoilers for the prologue demo, so be warned.

You'll be playing as quite a few different characters in Chapter I, as this part of the game is split between different viewpoints. For this first part of the chapter, you'll be playing as Leigh, Teing's son, as he tries to find his father, who has disappeared following the events of the prologue.

EliteKilljoy

Beta Tester, English Proofer, German Translator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I just finished the demo and omg it was awesome!

When are you planning the whole release?

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
While the game has some qualities, it misses some more interactivity.

I can't look at anything in the game world, I can't speak to everybody and have only a handful choices.
Interactivity is limited to moving the player on the map to start another cutscene. Which is a shame because I loved those cutscenes, but I felt like I was only a spectator, not an actor.

I understand that this is a story-focused game instead of a character-focused one, so that surely explains your gameplay choices. But still, it could have been so much better with more interaction.

Maybe later in the game? After all, the demo only covered the prologue.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Surprisingly useful and thought provoking
Working on animation. Trying to see if I can apply it meaningfully to my games!
ddwk.png

working on the sprite for Devali <3
My Game Development Livestream

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lazymouse