Misty

Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello everyone,

After 2 days of non-stop testing and researching. I have come for help after not finding a solution to my problem.

First, I had a data cache glitch, but I fixed that by making a new game. Somehow it kept bringing back old events and resources that I replaced. I created a new game and transferred everything. That fixed it. 

Secondly, I have issue running my game on my Linux OS. My other 3 games run just fine. I compiled these games with the RTP and they work just fine on Linux. The .ini file never was directed to the RTP because I included the RTP in the games.

[Game]

Library=System\RGSS300.dll

Scripts=Data\Scripts.rvdata2

Title=My Game's name

Tests:

1. I tested my game without any scripts. The game still crashed at the menu.
  2. I tested with the scripts. The game crashed at the menu.
  3. I disabled the winegstreamer and followed lots of sites direction. Disabling winegstreamer had some effect. It made my game not freeze at the splash screen, but still....my splash screen was not video related. Everything still crashes at the menu.
  4. I tried different versions of windows with Wine. Some different effects, but still crashed at the menu.
  5. Every time the menu started, the music was working perfectly,  and then the music started acting up. Not sure if the music is causing the glitch on Linux or the music sounded like that because of the crash.
  6. No error methods show up. Everything works perfectly on windows without the RTP, but not Linux. I am using all my resources in the game and excluded all of the RTP.
  7. I tested backups I made previously to adding any script and still the same crash in Linux.
  8. Again, everything is working perfectly on windows.

What is causing it:

I can't seem to find the error.

• Are my resources (Music, images, and etc) causing the glitch?
  • Is not including the RTP causing this glitch?
  • Is my Linux Ubuntu causing this glitch?

My only thought is that my resources are causing the issue, but that makes no sense to me.

Sincerely,

ZEFK

Last edited by a moderator:

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Please, no more... its not RPT... its RTP!

Misty

Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Please, no more... its not RPT... its RTP!
Fixed, but that still does not lead to a solution. I pretty much don't use the RTP. I just use it for laying out my game before replacing it with my own resources.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This sounds like an issue with the WINE system more than anything else.  I know WINE works superbly well most of the time, but this sounds like a time it doesn't.  I don't know if you know how WINE works, but it basically translates the native Win32 API calls to Linux calls. I would guess they had to do it by trial and (mostly) error, using the Win32 API docs as a guide.  

You could try reporting this to the WINE team.  Or, upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu, if you aren't using it already which hopefully would use an upgraded version of WINE.  Or, much less painfully (bandwidth wise at least), go to winehq.org, and get the latest version.  The site says 1.6.2 is the latest stable release (1.7.22 for development version).

So I would guess WINE is causing the glitch, since it works perfectly well on Windows.  

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Indeed. Unfortunately I am not able to provide a solution as I run windows (yes i know...)

Not sure that RPG Maker games are meant to run on linux though. I have seen projects in the past that have stated they had to pay programmers alot of money to enable linux capabilities.

Not 100% on that though :(

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Indeed. Unfortunately I am not able to provide a solution as I run windows (yes i know...)

Not sure that RPG Maker games are meant to run on linux though. I have seen projects in the past that have stated they had to pay programmers alot of money to enable linux capabilities.

Not 100% on that though :(
Sort of like how the original Sims was eventually run on Linux, by significantly upgrading WINE, somehow?  I ran that, and it was interesting, but I imagine the later Sims would be much, much harder to run on Linux.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not sure exactly...

Heard a few theories/rumors though/

1 - Enterbrain made a special maker that allows port to linux  / mobile devices. (I have asked mods and been told nothing, but really, why would they tell me - even if they did know ^_^)

2 - Special 'wrapper' program is placed around your game to enable it to work on andriod / mobile.

3 - Tons of DLL's and ruby code to recognize systems alternative to windows.

Again - none of those has been confirmed (or denied :p

Misty

Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This sounds like an issue with the WINE system more than anything else.  I know WINE works superbly well most of the time, but this sounds like a time it doesn't.  I don't know if you know how WINE works, but it basically translates the native Win32 API calls to Linux calls. I would guess they had to do it by trial and (mostly) error, using the Win32 API docs as a guide.  

You could try reporting this to the WINE team.  Or, upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu, if you aren't using it already which hopefully would use an upgraded version of WINE.  Or, much less painfully (bandwidth wise at least), go to winehq.org, and get the latest version.  The site says 1.6.2 is the latest stable release (1.7.22 for development version).

So I would guess WINE is causing the glitch, since it works perfectly well on Windows. 
That still makes no sense. My other 3 games work perfectly on my Linux using Wine. The only thing that I'm not doing is including the RTP, but that shouldn't be an issue. It feels like my resources from the game are being rejected, but that makes no sense either. Does Wine have an issue with 8 bit music and graphics?

Galenmereth

Semi-retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I got The Vendor to run fine on OSX using wineskin, so it should work. Let me share my settings:

Wine Windows configuration:

• Graphics"Allow the window manager to control windows" - Only checkbox checked here
Everything else default

Screen Options

I'm not sure if these are here in normal wine -- maybe you can find something similar? The Wineskin app lets me choose a few settings for the wine wrapper about how it displays the content being run through wine:

• I've unchecked "Use Direct 3D Boost (if available)" because this would just give me a blank screen every time
  • I've unchecked "Auto Detect GPU info for Direct 3D" for the same reason as above
  • I've checked "Use Mac Driver instead of X11" -- You might have something similar, like "native drivers" etc. Try that.
  • I've checked "Decorate windows", but this had no affect on anything
Other than that I've let wine do automatic screen setup.

The trick is to find any 3D acceleration and turn it off: RPG Maker runs strictly on the CPU, but enabling 3D acceleration in the wine wrapper seems to confuse it and make it try to force the engine to use 3D acceleration, and you get a blank screen or crash. Forcing 3D acceleration off worked flawlessly for my Mac wine bundled version :) If you want to download it and take a look -- it is a wine wrapper folder you can explore however you want -- you can get it here: https://tdd-the-vendor.s3.amazonaws.com/The%20Vendor%201.0.2%20mac.zip

Misty

Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I got The Vendor to run fine on OSX using wineskin, so it should work. Let me share my settings:

Wine Windows configuration:

• Graphics"Allow the window manager to control windows" - Only checkbox checked here
Everything else default

Screen Options

I'm not sure if these are here in normal wine -- maybe you can find something similar? The Wineskin app lets me choose a few settings for the wine wrapper about how it displays the content being run through wine:

• I've unchecked "Use Direct 3D Boost (if available)" because this would just give me a blank screen every time
  • I've unchecked "Auto Detect GPU info for Direct 3D" for the same reason as above
  • I've checked "Use Mac Driver instead of X11" -- You might have something similar, like "native drivers" etc. Try that.
  • I've checked "Decorate windows", but this had no affect on anything
Other than that I've let wine do automatic screen setup.

The trick is to find any 3D acceleration and turn it off: RPG Maker runs strictly on the CPU, but enabling 3D acceleration in the wine wrapper seems to confuse it and make it try to force the engine to use 3D acceleration, and you get a blank screen or crash. Forcing 3D acceleration off worked flawlessly for my Mac wine bundled version :) If you want to download it and take a look -- it is a wine wrapper folder you can explore however you want -- you can get it here: https://tdd-the-vendor.s3.amazonaws.com/The%20Vendor%201.0.2%20mac.zip
Thank you for the tip. I will check these settings when I test my game on a Mac.

Now if I only can figure out the weird issue with Linux. From all my testing.....it comes down to my 8 bit resources. None of the RTP resources were rejected in my other games and those ran smoothly.

Galenmereth

Semi-retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Out of curiosity, what file format are they in? Also, do you use any music/sound files that are not .ogg?

Misty

Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Out of curiosity, what file format are they in? Also, do you use any music/sound files that are not .ogg?
I use .mp3 and .ogg audio formats within the game, but everything runs smoothly in Windows. Should I try converting my audio to different formats?

Galenmereth

Semi-retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Convert your .mp3 files to .ogg. I used .wav in my game, until I found that for some users, their ffdShow audio decoder was the one used by windows to play the .wav files in my games. Weirdly enough, these processes were never killed, and ended up crashing the game after X amount of time no matter what. It could be something like this that happens: the Windows environment in wine might be trying to play the .mp3 with a native library and fails.

The RPG Maker Ace engine has built-in software support for .ogg, but I don't think it does for .mp3 (seeing as .ogg is open source, and .mp3 is actually not).

Misty

Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Convert your .mp3 files to .ogg. I used .wav in my game, until I found that for some users, their ffdShow audio decoder was the one used by windows to play the .wav files in my games. Weirdly enough, these processes were never killed, and ended up crashing the game after X amount of time no matter what. It could be something like this that happens: the Windows environment in wine might be trying to play the .mp3 with a native library and fails.

The RPG Maker Ace engine has built-in software support for .ogg, but I don't think it does for .mp3 (seeing as .ogg is open source, and .mp3 is actually not).
I changed the audio formats to .ogg and it works perfectly. 

Thank you Galenmereth. 

Now my only issue is getting .ogg to 8 bit, but from what I have read....there is no such thing. 

Galenmereth

Semi-retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey, awesome :D I think that's something we probably should get a sticky post on somewhere: never use anything other than .ogg.

About 8 bit, I think all you can do is simulate it as 8 bit in your recording software? Like how you can make a midi into an mp3 with the right instrumental "hardware" sounds through certain software. I'm out of my element here though :)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you actually remove the RTP link in the ini file? If you compress with RTP, you shouldn't need to make any changes to the ini file - the engine will take care of everything for you.

Misty

Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Did you actually remove the RTP link in the ini file? If you compress with RTP, you shouldn't need to make any changes to the ini file - the engine will take care of everything for you.
The audio format was the issue. Problem has been solved.

Hey, awesome :D I think that's something we probably should get a sticky post on somewhere: never use anything other than .ogg.

About 8 bit, I think all you can do is simulate it as 8 bit in your recording software? Like how you can make a midi into an mp3 with the right instrumental "hardware" sounds through certain software. I'm out of my element here though :)
That will do.

Thank you guys/girls for all of your help.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry - that's what I get for opening a dozen threads and not refreshing each one before I read :)

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The more I read Calvin and Hobbes as an adult, the more I deeply respect Bill Watterson. Plenty of stuff flew over my head, but now that I'm old enough to appreciate the viewpoints he shared with the fun and imagination? I am grateful that C&H was basically my early childhood.
After years of relying on others and the community to help with making my games, I've decided to delve into the world of scripting. Thought I'd share a few simple scripts that I made that I'm very proud of and excited about!

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:
It's been that long since I wrote a plugin, it took me 4 attempts to realize it's != rather than #. In a 40-line plugin, 20 of those lines being documentation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nimze