Linux Support When?

foxmindedguy

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why did we revoke linux support from RPG Maker MZ when its predecessor, RPG Maker MV, had it?

Chromebooks are a growing customer base and so is Linux on Chromebooks. I bought RPG Maker MZ right away because I could install RPG Maker MV on my Chromebook (Linux) steam but no such option for MZ.

Please fix this ASAP.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Linux version wasn't added to MV until about a year or so after initial release if I remember correctly.
And then it was added without any fanfare or advertisement.

So it's a question if that added version paid out for MV to have it added, something no one but Degica or Kadokawa can say, and then decide if they want to pay for the development of the same version for MZ as well.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Linux OS' are great: flexible, secure, powerful...Linux only has like a 2% pc user market share though, so it makes business sense that support wouldn't be prioritized for the initial release.

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@foxmindedguy I use rmmz with linux, don't use the steam version, use wine instead, wine version 5.18+ specifically.

In winecfg set windows version to Windows 10,and installl dxvk in winetricks.

I'm not a fan of running software this way, but if you really wanna run it this way you can, there's still a handful of bugs here and there. But nothing that's going to ruin your experience( the worst one from a my stand point is you you hve to press f5 more than once sometimes when refreshing your game, cause sometimes it'll just white screen, but pressing f5 again usually clears it ).

I definitely hope they add native linux support in the near future as it will make writing plugins for it a lot easier.

foxmindedguy

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@foxmindedguy I use rmmz with linux, don't use the steam version, use wine instead, wine version 5.18+ specifically.

In winecfg set windows version to Windows 10,and installl dxvk in winetricks.

I'm not a fan of running software this way, but if you really wanna run it this way you can, there's still a handful of bugs here and there. But nothing that's going to ruin your experience( the worst one from a my stand point is you you hve to press f5 more than once sometimes when refreshing your game, cause sometimes it'll just white screen, but pressing f5 again usually clears it ).

I definitely hope they add native linux support in the near future as it will make writing plugins for it a lot easier.

Thank you. I can try but I use Chromebook to run Linux - which means there are two Kernels and Linux is opened in a shell. If I then use wine in Linux, wouldn't it be another VM in a VM and thereby make everything slow as hell.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you. I can try but I use Chromebook to run Linux - which means there are two Kernels and Linux is opened in a shell. If I then use wine in Linux, wouldn't it be another VM in a VM and thereby make everything slow as hell.
incept.png

:LZScool:

I notice that Wine states:

" Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop"

So, maybe the performance hit would be minimized by their approach?

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
wine is simply a compatibility layer, and not an emulator, so it should be fine?.. I have never used chromebook before, but if you're simply running an emulator to use linux, I'd recommend ensuring your linux VM is opengl capable, as a lot of vm's are not.

rpg maker mz( iirc, I could be wrong ) requires webgl unlike MV, which can run on canvas. If I'm right you will need opengl support, without it you might end up only getting the editor to work, and not the game window :x

The only way to know if it will work, would be to try it I'd say :) If you need help getting wine setup feel free to shoot me a pm it's a rather simple process though, and shouldn't be too dificult to get setup.

foxmindedguy

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
View attachment 164767

:LZScool:

I notice that Wine states:

" Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop"

So, maybe the performance hit would be minimized by their approach?
Ooh, this is great news!

Thank you so much. Would you know how to install Wine on Chromebook with Linux Support (beta).

Also, I already bought it on Steam; will I need to rebuy it a second time for Wine?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

rux
The most words I have ever written in an entire document is in my game's script, jeez i have a lot of characters that ramble on
Yes! I finally did something! This is a picture I drew of what I wish I looked like; I hope that you guys like it!
Finished that egg-sitting mini-game I mentioned here a couple weeks back. Now to fix the weather system so it doesn't rain indoors while you're playing it. >.> A simple fix in itself; leave it to me to take it as an excuse to completely revamp the time/weather/lighting system from scratch.
I'm really tempting to pre order cyberpunk 2077... should I do it or not :/ I really want to play the game but don't want to take a big hit to my saving because of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DawnStar