[Linux]Windows Games From Most RPG Maker Versions Won't Work

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by AoiYui, Jul 7, 2019.

1. AoiYui

AoiYui Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Preface:
    So according to wine's appdb the vast majority of rpgm clients are gold or platnum. Even though some rpgm engines have linux versions most games are only written for windows, thus (as far as I know) I have to use wine or some other workaround. So can any1 give me any pointers on making them run. I'm not expecting them to run as well as on windows and am prepared to deal with crashes. I just want to make them work without any serious issues like the ones below. My results so far:
    • vx ace fuctions with no issue.
    • mv freezes on the first frame of startup for example a game that starts with the word "now loading" will be stuck on "now loading" and a game that starts on a black screen will have a black screen. It works through firefox but I'd like to get it to work through the .exe since I can't backup my saves and changing file paths (something I do quite often) makes me lose them. The others are more important though.
    • xp and vx both launch but have no text. Ie the text box and menus are there but the text itself is missing.
    • @Dreadshadow Not 100% sure that I have the correct engines when I searched the file types rxdata and rvdata they came up with xp and vx respectively. The icons are a spiky orange ball and a knight chess piece.
    What I've tried:
    • Opening games in wine virtual desktop mode: no changes
    Additional Info:
    • I use Lubuntu 18.04 but in my experience just about anything that works on Ubuntu 18.04 works
    • my version of wine is the most recent stable build.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Dreadshadow likes this.
  2. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do you mean you have MAC OS?
    if so, MV dont run games if its based on Windows.
    in order to play MV games on a MAC, contact the creator and let him/her export to MAC so you can play it on it.

if you use WINDOWS OS, it should work normally.

3. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why run an mv through.... wait what?
    Install firefox, if you don't got it installed.
    Go to the files of the MV game.
    Find the www folder.
    Run index.html in firefox under your linux distro.
    No wine needed after the extraction. just get the files on a folder easily accessible by linux.
    Profit.

Actually, RPG Maker MV can export a web version (cross platform) it can also make distributions for linux and it does support windows too indeed.
    The exe file is something like a custom web browser though.
    So it is worth to try running the html through firefox. Trust me, it must be firefox. Chrome will give you trouble.

4. AoiYui

AoiYui Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    luckily no, I'm using linux and I play a lot of games that are no longer in active development so sadly contacting the creator is not going to work.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  5. AoiYui

AoiYui Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well I can at least launch it I'll play for a few hours to bug check then get back to you. Funny thing I actually tried doing that but used a niche chromium based browser called Brave. It claimed there was a missing file so I just assumed it would persist my bad.

Also what about the other 2?

6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

AoiYui, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you want to quote more than one person please use the Multiquote button on your post otherwise the forum software automatically creates a new post for each quote. Better would be to use @ and the member's username which alerts them to the fact that you have mentioned them.

7. AoiYui

AoiYui Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    sorry won't happen again I just read over the rules.

8. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    XP and VX? Well it depends. Not sure about them.
    But as for mv, you got this solution.