Zaha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all

Sorry, another newbie question I've not been able to find the answer to via searching forums and Googling.

In a dialogue I have with my MC and an NPC, there's a long exchange and then a list of questions for the MC to ask (I've used show choices for this). However, after the first choice of question is asked, I have to go through the whole dialogue again to get to the questions, and again...

The only way I can think of to stop this would be to use a self switch at the end of the dialogue and before the questions? Is there a way to keep the list of choices open until the 'Nothing more' option is selected (at which point I'd planned to use the self switch)?

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can do conditional branching using switches that are set after each choice. OR you could also break things up on separate event tabs with the switches used as conditions for those tabs.
I've got some random dialog where I have the bulk of the logic setup in a common event that I just call from the events that use it so the main even pages are far easier to read.

Zaha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, I'll give those other options a test run and see how they work.

Zaha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've got some random dialog where I have the bulk of the logic setup in a common event that I just call from the events that use it so the main even pages are far easier to read.

Hi zzmmorgan

I'm just going through and trying the various options, but could you give an example of this please. It sounds like it'll save a lot of time for me as my game will be very heavy with choices, but I'm unsure how I would do this?

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1602540069893.png
1602540094346.png
It's rather lengthy to put the whole thing here but basically I have a number of skeleton encounters that will call this event so there's some random variation on the dialog between the characters in the player party.
I'm slowly rearranging stuff overall as I've learned an incredible amount about how RPG Maker works over the past three months.....

Zaha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you, it's really helpful to see what you've done :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly! I will be beginning a play-through of Resident Evil 4! Feel free to drop by!

1st iteration on castle interior in Tiled.
I've started up Pillars of Eternity. It's interesting how the game does a "select choice" cutscene using still image art for dramatic flair. I wonder if that might work for my RPGMaker project.
The self-righteous indignation of family when you expect them to pay back money you've leant to them never ceases to amaze me.
Gamedev for relaxing? yes or no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoBard