C-C-C-Cashmere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Introduction

It is said that the best way to learn is to learn from your mistakes, but sometimes it is even more helpful to learn from others' failures. I have long been wanting to compile a list of games which feature unencrypted project files, for tutorial use and to learn how skilled game makers make their games. I believe that so long as it is not in attempt to copy/emulate the games dogmatically, and rather for creative inspiration and general know-how, then a list of games where the developers have been generous enough to allow players/developers access to their unencrypted files should be taken full advantage of - it's what the developers would have wanted. So without further ado, a list of games with unencrypted project files, which I will edit as need be.

RPG Maker VX Ace

RPG Maker VX

RPG Maker XP

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Wine and Roses by Craze is also one.

anavn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I find it is a great idea but you might want to be carful as some ppl seeing some cool art, map, skill, story, might want to steal it

C-C-C-Cashmere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Wine and Roses by Craze is also one.
That's encrypted, sadly.

You are assuming that just because a game is complete, the game maker is skilled.

I have no doubt there would be games out there that, although complete, would NOT be good to learn from.
Good point, but a lot of them are good to learn from. I'm going from the more relatively popular titles to the less popular ones; people can weed through which ones are good for them.

I find it is a great idea but you might want to be carful as some ppl seeing some cool art, map, skill, story, might want to steal it
That's the developer's choice, they could have encrypted it if they wanted to.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That list should also include the free sample game "Crysalis" from the Downloads on this site.

Baka-chan

☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
It would be nice if you would sort them alphabetically.

Rasphere

Dr. D
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
This is a really cool idea. Hopefully no one uses these just for stealing.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
All of my own, though you probably won't learn much from them beyond basics. Uh, Seer Dell. (Selicia isn't out yet.)

C-C-C-Cashmere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've made changes according to what you guys have requested. Keep 'em coming.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Surprised you didn't have the Chain Game, a few of the mini-games could come useful. (and I should know)

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Well, mini-games and Demos are massively useful; I just don't know how much stuff our good list-maker thatbennyguy wants. =]

Does it matter that some of the Ace stuff is for Lite? Can you edit a full version game with Lite?

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Can you edit a full version game with Lite?
No, something in the full version changes a format of something somewhere, so you can't edit it with Lite. I'm not sure what it changes, though.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
No, something in the full version changes a format of something somewhere, so you can't edit it with Lite. I'm not sure what it changes, though.
You can by replacing the Game.rvproject Except you can't edit scripts or the call scripts, etc.

C-C-C-Cashmere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RPG Maker VX Ace

Nope you're not the only one. RPGMaker.net allows you to edit your page's CSS, and the author made it go upside-down for some strange reason. It's supposed to be like that.

Also, The Only One Left and Princess Princess went to different links (gah). Fixed.

I added the LITE tag to Subterranean Starfield, let me know if there's any other games that are made using LITE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Took the kids to a corn maze. They gave us a map and had lights at certain points in the maze. Not overwhelming... or underwhelming... just... whelming.
Okay, vacuuming fruit flies out of the air is surprisingly effective.
Finally finished my menu redesign after like a month of coding! I hate designing menus... Good news though - I thought of a complete redesign for it now, so yay...
Still no scam calls all day... also I got a quick gig designing a mascot drawing for a small business, so I might actually make some green of my own after all. That would be a perfect job for me, since I love art and digital design.
Job concerns. Love where I work, but I have severe anxiety while I'm outside at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lightstaroflightclan