List of Unencrypted Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C-C-C-Cashmere, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Seriel

Seriel Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I've found the amazing game Game Master, which I've learnt quite a lot from.

felsenstern and Saltwater Croc like this.
  2. C-C-C-Cashmere

C-C-C-Cashmere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow, I've been pretty slack on this list.

Updates
    Moved Chicken Games to VX Ace.
    Added Eremidia Dungeon, Arbiters From Another World, Matsumori Days, Chance Encounter, Konae's Investigations, Okiku, Star Apprentice, Uchioniko, Zu, Castle Oblivion 3, Warriors of Guardias, and Game Master.
    (About to add short descriptions courtesy of magnaangemon01's suggestion.) (Edit: OK, on second thought, coming up with descriptions for all these games will be a lot of work. Maybe not. ;) )
    I would also recommend checking out Game Master since it has a lot of nice, clean eventing inside.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015
  3. Tigersong

Tigersong Furry Fellow Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think the VX links are broken... they go to some site called cssice. :(

4. C-C-C-Cashmere

First Language:
    English
    That was because rpgmakervx.net has shut down. I've removed the links to RPG Maker VX that I did a quick google search and couldn't find any other links for. If anyone knows where those games went and would like to replace them, then feel free to suggest.

5. JaiCrimson

JaiCrimson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You're assuming that just because a game is bad that you can't learn from it.

You can honestly learn more from a game riddled with mistakes than a flawless work of art. Learning what not to do is essentially the same as learning what to do. Yet learning from flawless works of art is also a good thing to do. Basically... as long as you have the desire to learn there is no such thing as a game that isn't good to learn from... :thumbsup-right: :thumbsup-right:

6. C-C-C-Cashmere

First Language:
    English
    Well, to be honest, if I wanted to open up and learn from a game that was terribly crap, I'd open up one of my own failed past games. The reason why I'd want to open up an unencrypted game would be "wait how did he do this fantastic thing? What about this awesome effect? Oh." It's the same reason you don't get a teacher who is really bad at what they do to teach you what to do, because often they'll give wrong advice. Learn from someone who's done it before, and well.

Seriel likes this.
  7. JaiCrimson

JaiCrimson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I would agree with the teacher thing if we were only talking about tutorial type games but we're being more broad than that so I think your metaphor is a little off, but I get what your trying to say and I disagree. Perhaps you're giving yourself the wrong advice if you aren't learning from other people's mistakes?

The thing about opening your own past games is that you've only made so many mistakes. Other people have tried other things, so you can look at what did and didn't work for them out of these things you yourself haven't tried yet - and therefore haven't succeeded/failed at yet.

Across many different fields, be it writing or competitive sports, you will learn that some of the most accomplished of the field will give the same advice time and time again. "Never give up, learn from others mistakes before you make those mistakes yourself, etc, etc, etc."

Quote from Bruce Lee, "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Taken from Tao of Jeet Kune Do, which I own. Search online and I'm sure you can validate it yourself.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that you aren't exactly wrong but you can learn EVEN MORE from other peoples mistakes. So go learn! <3 :wub:

Myst88 likes this.
  8. rtester

rtester Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why is this game under unencrypted games? Because on the games download page it has Note that this demo is encrypted.

1. Konae's Investigations

9. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
  10. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  11. Marrend

Marrend Bludgeon of Inspiration Veteran

First Language:
    English

To be fair, it was unencrypted for an incredible amount of time, but, yeah, the latest blog (Darigaaz, have I really not worked on that since April?) does say this.

Unless you wish to count the terribad version?

*Edit: I'm pretty sure Myriad Cypher could be on the VX Ace listing. Also, wow, didn't expect to see Chance Encounter.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
  12. Luiishu535

Luiishu535 Coffee Machine Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  13. DeusEx

DeusEx Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    May I ask here: is Subterranean Starfield (LITE) don't use any scripts/modules and use only events?

14. TheGamedawg

TheGamedawg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Can't wait to see some of these for MV!

15. LeroyMcCheeks

LeroyMcCheeks Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    First of all, thanks for this thread. It is very helpful... but I'm having a problem. Perhaps these are stupid questions, but I'm fairly new to RPG Maker MV (have experience with Game Maker). 1) How do you open these games in RPG Maker in order to view the events/scripting and whatnot? All I could see for most of these where .exe files to actually play the game, but not see the inner-workings of how it all runs (that is exactly what I was looking for). 2) Assuming I figure that out, will these work in MV or just VX Ace? I thought all RPG Makers from the modern generation would work regardless of the version.

Thanks in advance.

16. XPKobold

XPKobold Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    You forgot the xp  game knight blade howling of kerebos considering that was one of the first games that was out with XP.

17. BlackShayde

BlackShayde Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I realize this thread is pretty old.  But, I am an incredibly new noob wanting to learn and reading all posts I can.  What software should I buy that opens the games on your encrypted list for the purpose of learning faster?

Thanks!

Jenn 

18. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BlackShayde: the encrypted games cannot be opened at all, that's why they're encrypted.

But most probably that is a misspelling, because this topic is about unencrypted games.

And as for which software opens them - that is part of the list, just look at the names on top of each part - you'll need RPG Maker VX Ace for most of them.

As a new user, I also suggest you follow the link to the starting point in my signature and work through those tutorials - they will bring you up to the basics as fast as possible.

19. BlackShayde

BlackShayde Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Thank you so much!!

20. Carduus

Carduus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Have there been any MV games yet that have been unencrypted? I learn best when taking stuff apart and putting it back together.