Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Explain then, because I don't see it. I cannot imagine a cat or a bear with armor and sword, operating war machines or working in a lab.

They could, but it would be extremely primitive. Thus, they would not survive long against other species that developed further than them.

There are lot of extremely intelligent beings in media that are not humanoid, but they rarely make up an entire race, or rather, they don't have their own independent society.

You know, stuff like forest spirits, guardian deities, ghosts, intelligent plantlife like ents.

So basically, lizards evolving to walk on their legs and have hands?

To be fair, 99.9% of all fantasy media does not explain how and when each race came to be.
We just go with it because we're more interested in other stuff than a fictional history lesson.

Yes, true. But what is so wrong with that?
We as humans have already proven our superior body structure and brain functions. It's literally the optimized condition to be able to create civilization and all types of technology.

So if we want to create sophisticated fantasy races, it's only natural to look at the optimal template.
That way, we can skip the whole explaination phase of how these races operate because we can just assume they work similar to humans.

True. But it's bothersome to implement and you gain very little from it, except if you build your whole game around the fact that actual animals are living like humans.

Most of the things you argue are subjective and only apply to you.
The great majority could not care less about humanoids or full on animal. I know I don't.

You are in a grave majority here. That sucks, I know, and I do feel sympathy for your cause, but
it's unlikely you will be able to shake anything. Especially not in mainstream media.

So here is the line:
No one cares. It might very well be possible to achieve a fantasy story with human and animal societies, but no one cares enough to implement it. We are all content with fantasy races that are humanoid in structure, but with distinguishing features.

Creating a fully animal race is just too tedious to explain and implement.
...You really haven't seen a single anthro race in your life? You can't imagine an anthro wearing armor? I have no problem doing so.

They would survive as long as other races allow them to.

Even if a race can operate SIMILAR to humans, they don't need to be LITERAL humans. And, sure, they COULD be nature guardians. Why not? They don't need to be VILLAINS, though.

Yes. There's no reason a "human with cat ears and tail" should be able to have an advanced society, but not anthro lizards.

I don't need one for anthros. I just go "Ooh, cool creatures" and live with it. NOTHING can convince me that a creature who looks exactly like humans but with the ears and tail of a creature unrelated to humans just happens to exist.

Because it's vain, It's narcissistic, it's limiting, it's uncreative, it implies that all life is worthless EXCEPT for humans by having humans be the ONLY creatures who exist for reasons other than to be mean and dangerous, etc. Plus, you gain creativity, visual diversity, charm, and many other things by looking beyond humans. What do you gain from copy-pasting humans over and over? Literally nothing that I can't just simply get from humans.

I have absolutely no difficulty in creating a race of non-humans. In fact, that's the fun of it.

So that's it? Life is worthless? Humans are god's golden gift to earth? We should keep writing crap that villainizes nature and non-humans because "no one cares." We should keep spreading the idea that nature and non-humans are not worth protecting and are evil and antagonistic anyway because "no one cares?" A lot of the stuff I've said is actually objective, and it has offended me and infuriated me endlessly to see peopple defend narcissism. As long as people do, I will continue to despise humans and be incapable of relating to them, because if we're just going to die on the hill that only we matter, then there is nothing for me to latch onto.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen

If you're just talking about sliders to pick what you want and don't want, I could see that working a lot better than a "difficulty selection".

I think more games could do with some sliders to that effect. Although, mostly, that just leads to me leaving everything as "default" except things like "puzzles", which I turn to "none".

Still, the ability to TWEAK things is always welcome in my book. Probably why I love Ark so much. Can literally tweak whatever you want to make the game easier or harder. On command.

@Benny Jackdaw

There is a sentient Dragon. Can't remember if it's in 1 or 2. It's spoilery though.

Likewise, the game is about internal and inherent biases. The entire first game is literally about those inherent biases and opens with a chapter about whether or not you help a "Witch" in her goals or side with the village against her... the outcome of which you choose... and no matter which choice you make, it paints the other side as "the bad guy", so it's up in the air.

I'm going to recommend you watch a YouTuber by the name of "Joseph Anderson". He has done exceptionally MASSIVE reviews of The Witcher 1 and 2. As in... he played them exhaustively and tried to take every single choice and combinations of choices and spent a lot of time actually reviewing the setting and the story and the characters alongside the gameplay and shortcomings of the game. Be prepared, you're looking at like 10 hours of content across two videos for the exhaustive review.

The only stuff I know about "The Witcher" is what is in those reviews.

You should probably spend some time listening to someone review the games if you're not going to be bothered to actually play them.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So that's it? Life is worthless? Humans are god's golden gift to earth? We should keep writing crap that villainizes nature and non-humans because "no one cares." We should keep spreading the idea that nature and non-humans are not worth protecting and are evil and antagonistic anyway because "no one cares?" A lot of the stuff I've said is actually objective, and it has offended me and infuriated me endlessly to see peopple defend narcissism. As long as people do, I will continue to despise humans and be incapable of relating to them, because if we're just going to die on the hill that only we matter, then there is nothing for me to latch onto.

No one said any of that.

Life is precious. Humans, Animals, Plants, Mushrooms, Bacteria. All of it.
Apart from humans, no form of life can be inherently *evil* or *good* because they lack the understanding of such concepts.

The rest is artistic freedom. Which you try to control and censor.

Also:

Also, I really, REALLY don't want to hear defenses, okay. For once, I'd just like to get his off my chest and be done with it.

Edit: Also, F-O people reacting. Like I said, I don't want to hear how I'm so wrong about my opinions and how I should just get over media that offends me, disgusts me, litterally makes me feel sicks and spits in the face of what I believe in and how the world is and whatnot. I just wanted to get this off my chest and be done with it.

Apparantly, hearing defenses was okay after all, and so is responding to them.

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Also, I'm sorry if I'm starting to get angry, but that's often how it feels that people simply see humans as the only valuable creature, and even some of your guys logic makes it feel that way. I've no problem making non-human races, and am writing a book about them, trying to figure out what abilities fit them, what their societies are like, etc. And it's fun. It's enjoyable. I don't need them to be human. Heck, my favorite games have non humans. Why do I like Shining Force 1/2 or Suikoden 2 or Breath of Fire 1/2 more than modern games even with outdate gameplay. Because they put effort into the races. They were willing to make characters that didn't use human asthetics as a crutch. Final Fantasy 7, the original, is also an RPG I like quite a bit. Etc. It's really not that hard to imagine an intelligent race that doesn't look like a human, and the inability to do so comes off as, well, vain. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel.

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also, I'm sorry if I'm starting to get angry, but that's often how it feels that people simply see humans as the only valuable creature, and even some of your guys logic makes it feel that way. I've no problem making non-human races, and am writing a book about them, trying to figure out what abilities fit them, what their societies are like, etc. And it's fun. It's enjoyable. I don't need them to be human. Heck, my favorite games have non humans. Why do I like Shining Force 1/2 or Suikoden 2 or Breath of Fire 1/2 more than modern games even with outdate gameplay. Because they put effort into the races. They were willing to make characters that didn't use human asthetics as a crutch. Final Fantasy 7, the original, is also an RPG I like quite a bit. Etc. It's really not that hard to imagine an intelligent race that doesn't look like a human, and the inability to do so comes off as, well, vain. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel.

I know I said I was done replying, but, I literally said "you are focusing on aesthetics and ignoring subtext" and you accused me of not caring about any form of life other than humans.

I don't care how angry you're getting, it's not acceptable to make those kinds of accusations because people don't want to add furries to their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

WhitePaper.jpg

From China, with...white paper. :kaojoy:
This is a really good video
Testing Parry/Counter system straight from Action Sequence instead of utilizing the default counter.
Quite happy with the result so far.
Bex
This just blew my mind.
RMMZ can choose Tilesize.
No complicated Plugin needed, it is a simple inbuild Option.
This means you could literally use all your rm2k3 or vx-ace Tilesets and Characktersets in RMMZ.
This also makes me curious about experimenting with smaler Tiles and higher Screen Resolutions for non RPG Games.
mztilesize1414564.png
Did you know about this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasuga24