Grumphlu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
Hi Everyone!

I am trying to balance my game with combinaisons of armors/weapons etc..
I have a lot of them and it's quite long to build up my characters so i decided to save a game with all my characters stuffed etc..

But my problem is when i want to change something on the editor such as background, messages, events and even game datas, my saved game does not take thoose changes... So it is quite long to build my character again and again everytime i want to ajust something. It will take forever if i have to do this everytime, is there any solution ?

I have a lot of characters (60) and more than 100 weapons/ 200 armors + enchants/gems and attribution points.

And i would like to do some futur updates without my players be force to restart everything if i want to add content to my game.

Thorgaaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Ok, honestly this suprises me. I thought if you change things like that, it is transferred over to the Savegames too. It kind of buffles me, that you can play a Game with an completely different Database. Since this could get a lot of errors too.
like entry xyz doesnt found game crashes for example.

Sadly im not experianced enough to help you right now. Hope someone competent will answer soon. But just for Testing i would simply write an event. Click or walk on it and it Teleport you to the Testing zone and adds the neccessary Items into your Inventory. Gain exp events are possible too.

With that you can test your stuff in new games instead of loading the old ones.

I did it even simpler i have an Trainings puppet and an buy everything store right at the start.

Grumphlu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
@Thorgaaz Thanks for your answer, sadly it doesn't help me so much because where adding items to my party get complicate is that every item as a random value bonus. Then you have to add the enchants, then a gem to build up, then my character have some attributions points. And i have 60 heros...
So that's quite long to build again and again with small changes with everyone (Ok, i did also something quite hard to balance) but if this transfer of database could be just more easy it would take me realy less time to do everything.

I was used to Rpg Maker VX Ace where this problem wasn't there and i was hoping that MV could have done the same. But yeah it seems that is not the case...

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Save games can't do things after they occur, and saves will not show changes on the same map most of the time. You need to make the change, then go to the map you wish to test. Also if you save mid event, the event is saved too, so it will not show the changes. You need to load a save before the event ran. This was also true in ACE.

Also actor changes you have to initialize the actor again to see them, otherwise it uses the one your save game has.

As for the rest, sounds like you got a plug-in or two which is doing the random bonuses. Those usually make separate instances of the items on creation so a change in the database will not show up as the item was created based on what was in the database at the time.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Grumphlu multiple topics will not get you better answers if you don't like them in the first topic.
However, one question: if you check your project folder, is there a folder named www inside it?

Grumphlu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
@bgillisp Ok, thanks for your answer, i will try to do differently for my test map.

@Andar Yes i know, but i had post in the wrong place, i just create this one for making things right.
Also, i don't have a www folder inside my project. What is it for?

I will want to do some Updates later and i don't want my players to be forced to restart from 0 if i have to put new content.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also, i don't have a www folder inside my project. What is it for?
then you're lucky. www is a deployment folder for the deployed version only, if it were in your project folder it would indicate that you damaged your project by deploying it into itself. And that would have had a similiar effect (updates to the project would no longer affect the playtest, because the playtest would have been redirected to the deployed version).

Grumphlu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
@Andar Ok, i won't do that so ^^

So it is quite sad for this saved game to don't apply changes on maps when i go and edit them, but anyway i will do my test with what i can do.
Thanks for giving your time to answer and have a good day!

Thorgaaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Well after all this sounds like an problem which can not be solved in Rpgmaker itself. Maybe or better said very likely it is possible to write an patch-program for the Game, but thats far beyond my capabilities. In the end this is something even huge companies like blizzard mess up from time to time.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The map does reload in test play, but not in deployed mode. Make sure you are in test play. However, it is still better to make changes for a different map than the one you are on.

Rest sound like a plug-in issue, as item, weapon, armor, skill etc changes do occur immediately in game. But if you use a plug-in to give you instance items then they will not show the changes.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So it is quite sad for this saved game to don't apply changes on maps when i go and edit them,
No.
Map changes WILL UPDATE CHANGES in playtest. The only exception to that is the current map that is saved with the player, and even that map will get updated if you leave and re-enter that.

If your maps do not update changes during playtest, then that is a BUG in YOUR PROJECT - because everywhere else the update functions.
As said multiple time that is most likely caused by a plugin you added, and if you were to remove that plugin (or fix its bugs) it would work correctly.
But the bug is on your side, and we can't help without knowing what you have done to cause the bug.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you save your game then change that map and resume your saved game, it SHOULD pick up the changes you made. If it doesn't, just go to a different map and come back again, to force it to reload.

The only thing you can change that will not refresh is data in the Actors tab. I'm pretty sure every other database tab will refresh when you reload your game - assuming you actually close the play test, make the changes, save, and play test again. But if you have plugins they might not follow the same behaviour - they might also need a New Game to reload their data.

If you just want to change your starting location then give your actors a heap of stuff, you could set up a common event to do that, and throw an event onto your starting map which will call the common event, or set it up to trigger on some specific key press, or something along those lines.

Grumphlu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
@Andar @Shaz Ok nice, i figure it out, was effectively a plugin that didn't allowed to save map changes, but i took it off and now everything is ok. For my weapons/armors it's ok i will try to fix first my characters based on a meta then apply changes based on that. I took this challenge to make an Rpg with a lot of different classes then balancing the game stay the hardest part^^

Everyone, thanks for your time, and happy making!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SasquatchWizard