mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I would like to know if there is anything I can do to change the way that Visual Novel Maker loads the assets.

It looks like VNM loads everything right from the start, but when you have a lot of pictures and animations and sounds, it can get quite long and might be too much for older laptops/desktops (yes, we are talking about a hell lot of pictures here!).

I was wondering if I could do something to make VNM load the required pictures only whenever they are needed for a scene?

Thanks for helping me out!

Kentou

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
Hi mardin,

actually, it is like you said, VN Maker only preloads the assets needed for the current scene. But it is important that you use the Change Scene command and not Call Scene. Because Call Scene will not change the scene but will just execute the new scene's commands in the current scene's context.

Bors

UI/UX Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bulgarian
Primarily Uses
VNM
I have no idea how to implement something like that, but a load progress indicator or even just an icon that pops first before the other assets would help assure the user that the game has not crashed/frozen.

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Hi mardin,

actually, it is like you said, VN Maker only preloads the assets needed for the current scene. But it is important that you use the Change Scene command and not Call Scene. Because Call Scene will not change the scene but will just execute the new scene's commands in the current scene's context.

That is awesome. So with the Change Scene command replacing the Call Scene I can have an infinite amount of scenes and pictures, because they will all only be loaded when needed? Best news of the day!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Swag collecting in the new randomly generated area. Now the mini map also shows the randomly generated features... And even illustrates the whole "bubble" system" that I made to manage memory... Though that part's inadvertent. We'll just call that "the fog of war"... Yes, that's what we'll do. Nobody will be the wiser! :kaopride:
not me being not lazy for 5 seconds and drawing another char portrait (her name is hazel)
its_hazel.png
Been a while since the last time I made a song remix. Had a blast making this
One thing those jp developer still get wrong about boob physic is that... men's muscly hard pecs can jiggle too.
Definitely glad I haven't released a few of my plugins that are technically done. As I learn more, I find ways to make my code more efficient, and in one case so far, discovered an existing function that did EXACTLY what I created my own function to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neikoku