Lock And Key

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by TheSt0ryTeller, Jul 4, 2015.

?

Have you played the demo?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Am Waiting Until Full Game Release

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. TheSt0ryTeller

TheSt0ryTeller Cool Dude Member

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Synopsis:
    The world is at peace for now but peace doesn't last forever. Daniel Christoff has witnessed a terrible future through premonitions, but he cannot grasp it fully right off the bat! Motivated by events that have driven him to a point of no turning back, Daniel embarks on his first adventure outside his loveable Homestead. His premonitions have lead him in a race against time to save time, fighting his way through Demons, Spiders and Kings to stop Jack Pentony and his selfish dream!​

In the land of Preston there are but two roles that play in time; Locks And Keys! Locks being the events and the Keys being their trigger, this is thought to be an analogy in the land of Preston however, it is much more than that. Dive into this land and uncover the secrets of Lock and Key; venture through the lucsious forests surounding your childhood home, or maneouvre through the snow-ridden tundra, invest yourself into the sandy dunes of the Asp desert or find yourself sailing the seas!

Each of these lands will have you battling monsters and with the turn-based system that we all know and love, an enjoyable Adventure-RPG focusing on narrative and grandoise story-telling will leave you hooked and wanting more!

This game is based around your choice, and these choices are yours; will you leave yourself to be a simple event? A lock?
    Or will you be a key?

Characters:
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]

Setting:
    The land of Preston is divided into 4 segments each possessing differing types of biomes; the mainland which is filled with forests and mountains, the Tundra which has unpredictable weather, the Asp Desert which is rumored to cover an ancient civilization and lastly, the Tropicose, the most exotic island in all of Preston!

But that's not the only world Daniel plans on visiting, another world is The Void (the most original name out there) which is riddled with Spirits and Demons waiting to possess an untainted soul. It's purple-crystal floors surrounded by it's purple miasma make it a challenge to navigate around!

Flavours:
    Fantasy with a slight touch of comedy, you'll find quite the amount of Easter Eggs which will tickle your funny bone. 99.999991% guarenteed!​

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Deal with threats to the world! Because... that hasn't been done before. Don't say otherwise, I won't believe you!
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    A pretty neat menu system which is credited down below!
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    You're not the only one who doesn't know what's going on!
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Fun little easter eggs here and there! Plus most objects are interactable, something to invest your time into!
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    You also have decisions! Your voice matters, in most cases... in some you may have different texts but same results. But that's okay... thought that matters!
     ​
    There's Lock And Key so far, please be gentle seeing as it is my first game! It's not my dream game but I am liking how it is coming out! Thanks for reading! :D
     ​
     ​
    Credits:
    Homestead Inn Music -
    Slingshot by Gaelic Storm

Menu System -
    Hirion Engine by Nicke

Battle Engine -
    Yanfly Engine by Yanfly

System Itself -
    Enterbrain Inc.
     ​

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
    EternalShadow likes this.
  2. BeardBro

BeardBro I think this line's mostly filler. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Interesting project! The mapping looks okay so far, the menu looks very nice, and the characters seem interesting.

I think the 'key' to the game will be the story; I imagine we'll see some interesting scenarios in the framework of the Lock and Key plot. Player choices could be keys, items could be keys, characters could be keys, etc. The world is made of a millions of locks, and everything is a key. It's an interesting perspective on fate that opens a lot of possibilities within the game.

I look forward to seeing more. Thanks for sharing! 

3. TheSt0ryTeller

First Language:
    English
    Hello everyone, a demo is now available! If you encounter any bugs/spelling errors or so on. Let me know! It is very early in development so it's not solid but I have liked how it's come out so far. Expect decisions made earlier on to matter later on in the game! It's also expected the text isn't aligned with the message box which will be the first thing fixed when I get the chance. But for now, enjoy the prologue/demo to Lock And Key!

4. TheSt0ryTeller

First Language:
    English
    Hello everyone! Due to my school year resuming which I obviously need to put above everything else (it is my last year) so progress on Lock And Key will be slower but it does not mean it will be stopped entirely! Give me your thoughts on the demo and if you wish to help out to ensure it's release, let me know!

5. TheSt0ryTeller

First Language:
    English
    G'day everybody, just letting you all know that there is a new poll up and that I have updated the characters list with some fancy shmancy new borders/text and added some additional characters which may or may not be party members! Also, is someone knows how to condense things into little spoiler tages please let me know. It seems very cluttered as it is now and it would be very appreciated! ^.^

6. TheSt0ryTeller

First Language:
    English
    Greetings greetings, I am currently looking for some BETA testers for the game to make sure there are no bugs; if you are interested than please send me a message and let me know, thanks!

7. TheSt0ryTeller

First Language:
    English
    Little progress update:​
    • Completed work on second Void map
    • Started work on overworld map of Preston
    • Begun work on small town of Reservoir
    • Completed work on the lighthouse interior
    • Completed customizing Clare Fiddler stats.
    • Balancing out currency (doing the math) etc...
    • Eventing and scripting
    • Easter Eggs Added To Reservoir
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Overall, the project is coming along smoothly. Any advice, help, or tips would be welcome and am still looking for BETA testers to play the game as it's being developed - all welcome. Also, still wanting to learn how to add those spoiler boxes. *hint hint nudge nudge* There is no expected time when it is going to be released, I will not rush it and will release it in the completed games thread when it is tested for bugs, mapping errors and so on! So for now, enjoy those little tid bits and I will keep y'all updated.​

8. Reavenator

Reavenator Member Veteran

Spoilers are done this way:  [ spoiler ] Enter text here [ /spoiler ] (without the spaces)

For the record, I didn't know either before now, I just checked :p

like this
    Also, a little tip: easter eggs are fine, but don't overdue them. Too many will make your game  harder to take seriously, at least in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  9. TheSt0ryTeller

First Language:
    English
    Also, a little tip: easter eggs are fine, but don't overdue them. Too many will make your game  harder to take seriously, at least in my opinion.
    Thanks a lot!

With the easter eggs, I was thinking of limiting it to about one per town/city with stuff like books/dialogue and one per island with actual battles.

10. TheSt0ryTeller

First Language:
    English
    Alrighty, so it's been a while since I have posted so I am letting y'all know that the project isn't over! It's on hiatus due to some important exams coming up, it will resume following these exams (and probably my completion of Fallout 4 *hint hint nudge nudge*)! So the project isn't dead, it's been put on a long hiatus!

11. Scatkat

Scatkat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello. Just played though your demo. Great start. A few things:

• The story telling is great. It's well written enough so that the complex story is easy to follow.
    • Great characters. Archetypes are spot on.
    • When you compress your game data, you should check the "make encrypted" box. Without encryption, I was able to open your game up and look at your events and scripts. Sorry- I couldn't help myself, lol.
    • At the start when you click on the dead bodies, they transform into different bodies. Fix this by selecting "Direction Fix" on the event.
    • During the hunt in the forest, you might want to add a few different enemies or lower the encounter rate. Killing hordes of baby chimeras gets repetitive.
    • The side quests are fun. Helping out the townspeople was a blast. They add a lot to the game. Couldn't find that dude's lockbox though, haha.

Anyway, great job so far. Hope you continue working on this project. Has some really nice potential.

12. TheSt0ryTeller

First Language:
    English
    Thank you very much! I am glad you enjoyed the demo, though it's been a while since I have posted anything, I am still working on it (while juggling with Uni so, not too much is been done)! Thank you for explaining the bodies, it has been bugging me for ages and I was unsure of how to change it! The forest hunt was my main problem and was thinking of what I could change about it, so I may try adding a few things to that (as obviously there are more than one type of creature in forests)!

Overall, thanks for the Feedback, I will be posting an update soon hopefully (just smoothing some things over)!

13. zakattack1989

zakattack1989 Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    I see why they call you the story teller, your take on the game story has me intrigued. From what I've seen the game looks quite nice too... Nice enough to twist my arm and hit that download link! I will give the game a play through tomorrow and give some feed back. Untill then keep up the good work!

14. zakattack1989

First Language:
    english
    I've played your demo, I like your menu system and the battle advantage script thing. Interior maps are done well, the town map could be a bit more busy. After playing here's the Pro's and cons

Pro's

Good dialogue- The characters seems to have their own personality, maybe some characters could have their own little "sayings"

Nice menu- It looks different from what a lot of other rpg maker games are using

Story- From what I've played the story seems nicely paced just need to keep it going

Cons

In the beginning into there's some text cut off

dead bodies in the void need direction fix

left door of the shop keep takes you to the Inn

Red haired guy in the town the gang member has a spelling mixtake "reasoning"

Maybe these issues have already been solved and the demo just hasn't been updated yet, keep up the good work and I look forward to some updates!

15. TheSt0ryTeller

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the feedback, I am glad you enjoyed it! I have solved the last three problems and am still in the progress of fixing the Introduction text! I will definitely take your advice into consideration and hope you will follow the game as it is made and chime in whenever you see something that peaks your interest!

zakattack1989 likes this.
  16. zakattack1989

First Language:
    english
    You don't waste any time do you haha. I will keep both eyes on this project will be waiting for updates!