fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello. There doesn't appear to be an MV section in "Maker Specific," so I'm posting this here.

How would I go about locking a play through to a specific save slot? I'm attempting to create an experience like Harvest Moon, My Time At Portia, etc. where you pick a slot and it saves it to that one, but if that isn't doable, locking the save after the first save would be nice if that's possible.

EDIT: Or when you save, it'll save it for you after that on the same save slot if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It sounds like a cool idea, if you're aiming for the dynamic where the player has to live with the unforeseen consequences of their decisions later on. (It would probably not be such a good idea of your game is a more traditional progression-oriented RPG that gives them a game over if they lose in combat - you are taking away the player's defense against accidentally saving themselves in an unwinnable situation!)

As far as I know, there's nothing available right now that would allow you, as the designer, to lock the player's future saves into a certain slot once they save into that slot once. It's something that you would have to code yourself (probably by taking the number of the save slot upon Load, and then only accepting a Save into a slot with that number), or make a request for someone to create a plugin that would provide this functionality (on the Plugin Request board). I could be wrong, though. Maybe someone has done this before on RPG Maker.

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It sounds like a cool idea, if you're aiming for the dynamic where the player has to live with the unforeseen consequences of their decisions later on. (It would probably not be such a good idea of your game is a more traditional progression-oriented RPG that gives them a game over if they lose in combat - you are taking away the player's defense against accidentally saving themselves in an unwinnable situation!)

As far as I know, there's nothing available right now that would allow you, as the designer, to lock the player's future saves into a certain slot once they save into that slot once. It's something that you would have to code yourself (probably by taking the number of the save slot upon Load, and then only accepting a Save into a slot with that number), or make a request for someone to create a plugin that would provide this functionality (on the Plugin Request board). I could be wrong, though. Maybe someone has done this before on RPG Maker.
My intent is to enhance the atmosphere by allowing saves whenever (with the given resource), but disallowing jumping super far back or saving at key moments to then go back if it results (later on) in something you don't like. I'd love for the world to grow and change with the player and what you mentioned would definitely be a goal, though I am also concerned with players saving over other files on accident. I know Stardew Valley has separate saves you can make and My Time at Portia has nested saves (you can find earlier saves related to that character, but the characters are separate big saves that appear on the home page). I would also be okay with something like that.

Thank you for the advice! I'll see if I can fiddle with some stuff. It isn't pressing enough to bother someone to make something. I was just curious if it already existed or if someone else knew about something that is locked saves or similar that I could feasable do. I'm not talented with code. ^^;

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This feature will require a plugin.

Moved to JS Plugin Requests.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
POR has a save to start from a save file, + with an autosave plugin ,you can keep it on that slot
constantly, while I'm looking for 1, there is one in developement as well with alot of customisation.

while I cant release it and or not public, you can either wait or use POR_SaveCore and find an
easy to use Autosave like AES?Autosave plugin ) cant find hte link for this one, but you are
pretty good to go by than.

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
POR has a save to start from a save file, + with an autosave plugin ,you can keep it on that slot
constantly, while I'm looking for 1, there is one in developement as well with alot of customisation.

while I cant release it and or not public, you can either wait or use POR_SaveCore and find an
easy to use Autosave like AES?Autosave plugin ) cant find hte link for this one, but you are
pretty good to go by than.
Ooo, I'd like if you could select a file at the start and have just one from the menu. So, instead of "New Game" and "Continue," it could be "Game." Or to have something where you choose the save after pressing the New Game option. What are you referring to when you mentioned the one in development. From you or someone else?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a press start that link to Scene_Load, with Por (only currently), you select a save file
to start your game, than disable save options, and use checkpoints or autosave throughout the
maps where you want to save (save when opening a chest (specially handy if random loot),
before boss fights, or where ever you which.

The one I have doesn't have it currently, but it's in developement by TSR, I can ask him
to send you the current one, but it doesn't have much info on how to use it.

but it's pretty nice and working. (while my save scene is almost finished through that one).
but I have no idea when it will be release, but I can ask him if you like too, but you have to
figure it out on your own.

New game from save file will be implented, but when, I dont know yet.

To start a new game from scene Load, you can also alter the New Game option
which is pretty easy to do if you want to see the title scene though.

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a press start that link to Scene_Load, with Por (only currently), you select a save file
to start your game, than disable save options, and use checkpoints or autosave throughout the
maps where you want to save (save when opening a chest (specially handy if random loot),
before boss fights, or where ever you which.

The one I have doesn't have it currently, but it's in developement by TSR, I can ask him
to send you the current one, but it doesn't have much info on how to use it.

but it's pretty nice and working. (while my save scene is almost finished through that one).
but I have no idea when it will be release, but I can ask him if you like too, but you have to
figure it out on your own.

New game from save file will be implented, but when, I dont know yet.

To start a new game from scene Load, you can also alter the New Game option
which is pretty easy to do if you want to see the title scene though.
Weird question maybe, but can you attach the autosave feature to an item?

You mean it doesn't have the press start to link currently?

I don't know how easy it'd be for me to figure out on my own. I know nothing about code. All of the ones I use have pretty detailed how-tos.

You mean by coding?

EDIT: Also, yes please ask if you don't mind or it isn't too much to ask.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
autosave through item is easy to do if you link to a common event.

JavaScript:
function AutoSave() {
    if($gameSystem._saveCount >= 1){
        DataManager.loadGameWithoutRescue(DataManager.lastAccessedSavefileId());
        $gamePlayer.reserveTransfer($gameMap.mapId(), $gamePlayer.x, $gamePlayer.y);
        $gamePlayer.setTransparent(0);
    }
}
place this in a txt and save however you want, than in a common event, use

scriptcall: AutoSave()

than link an item to it if you want to use the save as item. or make a text around this:

on item use:

Do you want to save?
show choices yess, no

when yes:
wait 100 frames
save complete
Script: AutoSave()
when no
return item (if lost upon used.

I will ask when it will released to public or if you can have a copy (I can help you through it if need)

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
autosave through item is easy to do if you link to a common event.

JavaScript:
function AutoSave() {
    }
}
place this in a txt and save however you want, than in a common event, use

scriptcall: AutoSave()

than link an item to it if you want to use the save as item. or make a text around this:

on item use:

Do you want to save?
show choices yess, no

when yes:
wait 100 frames
save complete
Script: AutoSave()
when no
return item (if lost upon used.

I will ask when it will released to public or if you can have a copy (I can help you through it if need)
I have a couple of questions. Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for your patience and helpfulness. :kaoluv:

Does the script need to be called autosave? Is there a way to connect it to a load you selected (maybe from the title screen)?

EDIT: I didn't see the last part. I wouldn't want to bother you too much with helping me with the script. The game won't be ruined without it. It just would be nice to have.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the plugin name is anything you want, the scriptcall is AutoSave() while the function AutoSave() {...}
calls that function. if the function starts like "function Save() {...}" than the scriptcall is Save()

how you call the js is up to you, save.js, autosave.js, AutoSave.js doesn't matter because it
doesn't call any parameter to call it otherwise.

you cant use scene_load to start a game from it unless you use por_SaveCore that allows it
on this point only, but in a little month or 2 (I think) depends if he is busy or not, will be able
to do that as well.

as for the title scene when new game -> Scene_Load need a tiny bit of code or a press start
plugin or something to alter the commands to scene load (like SRD Picture Title) for instance
I think. while I skip my title scene entirely with press start only (there are a couple of them)
but each has its own, I link it directly to scene Load, else I can d to Scene_Title original.

But I help where I can though. :)

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe I don't need "New Game" available from the load screen. I was fiddling with the por_savecore, but the script I am using right now is simple and and I like it. I'm not sure how to connect the save to the next free slot and how do I make a js?

EDIT: I figured out how to make a js, but I can't save? I have it on and I have it set to run the script. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I changed it to this:

JavaScript:
function OneSave() {
    }
}
And I put it in like this:
1590357651267.png

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
make sure you use ; on the end OneSave();
it should work (at least if save exist) not directly.

but in the pm I send you have that feature in the plugin automatic.
if you wait, a bit longer, you can use the features you need and save alot of trouble.
which only require a simple plugin command :)

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
make sure you use ; on the end OneSave();
it should work (at least if save exist) not directly.

but in the pm I send you have that feature in the plugin automatic.
if you wait, a bit longer, you can use the features you need and save alot of trouble.
which only require a simple plugin command :)
Thank you. I figured out how to make it save (check for save first) and it appeared as though it loads the game instead of save. I just changed the text that said ".loadGame..." to ".saveGame..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

:3c here's a thing i made a while while while back
Tried mochi for the first time. It's quite nice. Has a pleasant smell and taste, and is nice and chewy.
made a bio for the protag in my project!
Beggar : "I haven't eat for days..."
Kid : "Just do crime! You will get daily necessity for free in prison~"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teendinsaikha