Long Gone Days (DEMO) [NOW on Indiegogo]

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Bura, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Dragonic_L

Dragonic_L Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh man...pixel art, story, battle system... It's all incredible! I'm impressed, love this game!

Marquise* and Bura like this.
  2. GhostWaffle

GhostWaffle The ectoplasmic Waffle Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just finished playing the demo and It left me wanting for some much more! Can't wait for the full game.

Bura likes this.
  3. Bura

Bura Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    @ashikai 

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review! I know there's plenty of room for improvement, so feedback is always appreciated and will be taken into account in the full version.

I definitely want to redo the walking animation from behind because the arms shouldn't move like that.

Battle

After the beginning of the tutorial battle you are taught that the special bullets can be used from the skills menu and that targetting different body parts affect their stats. There are different strategies for killing an enemy, like shooting down their legs will reduce evasion so you'll be able to miss less, and some enemies will run away as soon as you disarm them.

Usually you miss a lot when aiming at their heads, so I guess you got lucky.

I didn't go into detail about this because to people who like military stuff it would seem too obvious, but soldiers usually carry an assault rifle plus a handgun. Since Rourke doesn't have a spotter WITH him, he carries an assault rifle besides his sniper rifle, and that's the weapon he usually uses during turn-based combats.

The Sniper Mode is easy and stress-free because it's a tutorial. The next time you use it, stealth and time count are taken into account.

Gameplay

Yeah, I'm guilty of this, but it does get more interactive in the future. There are mechanics that couldn't be explored in the demo because you don't meet the party members that unlock those abilities during the prologue.

Story

More information about the Core will be revealed when he encounters foreigners. I don't like to shove all the information about their country during the intro, because that's what usually throws me off during a game I just started playing. There is also a bit more of information on the Notes tab (alongside the battle and morale System tutorials after you have unlocked them in the story).

You are right about Rourke not reacting enough, though, but I was afraid he would seem like a coward or too dumb. I'll look into the proper way of representing this. Thanks!

I ended up writing a lot, but I want to thank you for taking the time to write all of this. It will definitely help me a lot!

Kyuukon and ashikai like this.
  4. ashikai

ashikai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ahh that makes more sense. I'm not a huge military buff so stuff like what kind of armaments are usually carried isn't something I'd know off-hand. This is just my opinion, but I don't think a bit of hand-holding at the very beginning of a game is a bad thing. 

I don't think I need to be told exactly what the core is or why it's there in the beginning; I was more pointing out that there was very little to reinforce the idea that you are located in the core and that's important, and it's different from the world I as a player know. Details and such I can live without for a looooong time. 

(I do feel kinda dumb for not noticing the notes section at all (TBF though, I rarely ever read the journal/notes sections in game menus unless I've put the game down for a while and need to remember stuff) but that's probably just a reflection on my play style more than anything else. haha~ )

I kinda figured a lot of the exploration mechanics wouldn't be available during the demo/prologue since it's, well, the beginning and there's a lot of story to get through first.

Rourke is actually an interesting character and threw me for a loop during the first few minutes of the game because (based on his sprite and portrait) that was toooootally not the kind of character I was expecting him to be. I think that's a good thing, overall. XD

I wanted to also say that I think this is a really high caliber game (especially for RPGM) and I think you've done a fantastic job getting everything put together. I'm rooting for you! :D

Bura likes this.
  5. VicWhite

VicWhite Star rover Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Bien hecho amiga! / Well done friend! I'll try soon and leave you some feedback!

Bura likes this.
  6. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The demo was pretty awesome! And it's definitely a unique theme, which I think is reason enough. Hoping you see it through to completion!

A few thoughts:

On Rourke deserting so quickly - can kind of see it, but it's no better/worse than Fin in Episode 7. Star Wars has the benefit of being a whimsical and fantastical adventure, though. Assuming LGD will expand into a more vibrant story eventually, so don't think it's too bad! Some of the other soldiers might seem comically villainous, but the dark mood is definitely lifted by the character's personalities.

Thought the introduction of incendiary bullets was fine; wondered early on what the point of a separate item and skill category for bandages was, but noticed the skill version heals more HP when comparing.

There were some walls that felt invisible-ish on a cliff in one map (before the bridge I think?), but not too big of a deal.

And started wondering how much mileage can be gotten out of so much gunfire-based combat beyond the demo - without much character personality to explore in skills. Assuming there'll be grenades and stuff later, though! Lasers? Smoke attacks? Traps? W h o k n o w s

Agree on the hands on the walking-forward sprite.

Battle graphics for characters and backgrounds look spot-on. I like the medic's nervous look contrasting with Rourke's determined one.

(the screen flashing on regular attacks might be too much, but not sure if others would notice)

Also that run animation looked cool in the village scene. Hope we'll see it in the final game for regular overworld running!

Time to complete was ~40 minutes

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
    Bura likes this.
  7. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Great ascetics in plot and art direction show that RPG Maker games don't all have to feel the same. Hope it's a success, although I do have one suggestion. When a choice comes up, it can be sudden and although nothing seemed game-changing yet, maybe you out to have an indicator of some sort when it comes time to make a choice in dialogue. Someone could keep mashing (I was guilty of it after forgetting to save) and miss out on extended dialogue.

Bura likes this.
  8. m4uesviecr

m4uesviecr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Man! I thoroughly enjoyed this. Much of my commentary has been cited already, but to reiterate on a few:

1. The story set up is really great! I'm already interested in knowing who Father is, the purpose of starting the war, etc.

2. I think the pacing was really good, although I am one of those who thought the desertion was a bit quick, only because I didn't see it line up as well with Rourke's sheltered underground life. With the Core being heavily militaristic, I couldn't see someone deserting so quickly, but thebiggest brought up a good point in regards to Star Wars. Maybe it is the scope and what is known about the Storm Troopers in the franchise. We already know they are clones, upon clones, upon thousands of clones - one defecting doesn't seem like a huge deal, and we already know their routine and what they are expected to do, etc.. 

I will say that Adair deserting so quickly seems very far-fetched, especially with his attitude. This could turn into a GoT build-up, though, where there are underlying workings unbeknownst to us that will reveal themselves later on.

2. The battle system has a ton of potential (I have always been a fan of games that let you target different areas), but I agree on the lack of strategy. Mine was simply legs --> arms --> head, each battle. Not sure if stances will change (crouching behind armaments or shooting on stomach), or armor will become involved (heightened invasion due to less armor but more damage received or something) would be a great dynamic change.

Aside from that, I love it! Nice to have a main character that don't take no $#@!. I am interested in seeing how their dynamic plays out further. Adair the confident know it all who doesn't really know much, and Rourke, the guy who merely wants to live a life he can accept, regardless of what that means.

I think it is interesting to see their journey start so abruptly, but it is a neat change of pace.

I am really looking forward to more, though. Super stoked! Is there a chance you'd re-release the demo with official tracks that John made? Hearing him slam on some guitfiddle was one of my highlights.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
    Bura likes this.
  9. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    My I love the poster too.  You sure you don<t work for the filming industry?

Bura likes this.
  10. Bura

Bura Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I just wanted to thank everyone for your amazing support, I can't believe the demo has been downloaded more than 1,500 times in less than a week!

I have been preparing tons of new material for the upcoming campaign, like this one:

[​IMG]

@Missile In the near future the battle system will definitely get better and more interesting with the upcoming party members, who are able to craft items/weapons, do area attacks and other kinds of support. I do want to use the running animation on the overworld, so that's definitely going to be on the full game.

@m4uesviecr Yeah, I have been getting that comment about Adair deserting too easily a lot. The things is, after the prologue he explains why he did it (because Rourke himself can't understand it either), but it was too early in the game to go into that.

As soon as I have the rest of the tracks, I'll update the demo, but that would be in a couple of months more.

@Marquise* Hahaha, thank you!

11. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    so when we will see the full Anime with 64 episodes c: ? and 4 seasons~?

Bura likes this.
  12. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    err Bura... Just to point out

*cybermentally points to the zone of the nose and cheek intersecting with the glasses that cast a white shadow* 

not to be nitpicking... but... err \I was paid for QCing long ago and... well... that one would go to the reshoot.  (And everybody would like to shoot me now!  :p)

Otherwise this is beautiful!

Bura likes this.
  13. Bura

Bura Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Once I finish writing the beach trip episode and the one where the main cast is shrunk and they have to enter someone's body, we are good to go!

I knew I should have taken out the lenses from his glasses  ;_;

nio kasgami likes this.
  14. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    You know I meant the white triangle under the glasses... right?  Must be an easy quick fix if it is a still shot.  Like just put the darker tone of the skin in there. ;)

It can't be worst than the noses in Lodoss War ;P (Just to be fair I've just done a search about it and... I just found two images where it was obvious the main characters had too many lines around the nose and unerased one the shading side or even an unused shade or highlight line that still was black.  In the times when I rented it, it turned me nuts that in the 3/4 profile they had too many line angles that went visible and sometimes even plain face.  O.@ It was confirmed to be an artistic decision.  WATTUH!!!)

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
    Bura likes this.
  15. Bura

Bura Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Makeratore, Zeriab, Marquise* and 3 others like this.
  16. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Aw man.. Still haven't had time to play the demo through! The trailer looks so good. Good luck with the greenlight!

17. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I just finished the Demo :D   (I finally saw everyone had the white triangle LOL.  I kinda just stuck on Adair's)

Well, it has a great place on Greenlight I must encourage it.  It feels like a movie/book by moments.  At one point I hoped it wouldn't be linear, but when we see the art and programming and research, it is a very nitpicky bias.

I do admit that I was really surprised the plot, charaters and twist wasn't really how I was imagining it to be.  I got nice and -within the parameters of the story- bad surprises.  Altought I guessed a bit by the building shapes what were the targets in advance.

However, I am on Windows 7 and the game closed on the Drone fight and I'm not sure if it is the scripting or MV or my PC but sometimes it took really long to switch to fight mode and then back to map and to save all together.  I was confused a wee bit by the scrolling option in the credits and some other windows used as description.

18. cekobico

cekobico Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    I hate games with front-view battle system and I like to be able to actually see my characters in battle. That has always been my principle when picking on which games to try on RM forums. 

Until I saw yours. lol. I suppose with the game being a sniper/army themed, kinda fits with that choice of battle system. Would've look weird with side-view anyway, and I think you just made me enjoy front-view battle system game.

The art style, like it has been mentioned, is amazing. On paper, anime splash/portrait + retro pixel art don't mix, but you proved me wrong on that. And I totally love how you didn't rely on the portraits' facial expression to 'speak' for themselves, but also have the sprites emote the conversation as well (I know few people tend to let the portrait emote the whole convo visual-novel style while making the sprites just stand still on their own. I myself is guilty of this occasionally). I also want to note that your drawing style kinda evokes Haikyuu/Free tones? I wonder if you're a fan of those series xD

The story, dang. I hate it when devs cut it like that on the demo with the cliffhanger ending xD you definitely made me reeeeeeeally looking out for the next demo to find what happens next. I also feel there wasn't much explanations on how Adair defect so quickly, I'm guessing his soon-to-be-revealed backstory would explain that (The Core betrayed him in the past or sth like that?)

Bura and Marquise* like this.
  19. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    woww nice friend !

Bura likes this.
  20. KucingBudhug

KucingBudhug Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    When I saw the preview of this game for the first time I got captivated by the beautiful art! I'm a huge fan of pixel graphic so it's must to +follow for me XD. Also the character CGs are very clean and lovely! I've tried the demo and love it, looking forward to play the full game when it's finished!  :) :thumbsup-right:

Bura likes this.